US Department of Commerce

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.6

Policy Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Commerce.

applied online, several interviews with team and boss, followed by an average period of waiting for a decision. Expectations for the job were clearly laid out. Once offer came, process of onboarding, discussing benefits and starting was painless.

Interview Questions
    Direct, honest, pretty quick, not a lot of wiggle room.

Stat Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jeffersonville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jeffersonville, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Commerce.

Took a test & submitted an application. Based on openings in 2005. Test was administered, if you could answer numerical questions & comprehend instructions,largely to see if you could think & work independently. They monitor but aren't there to babysit. After the test, you got results & later depending on your score, you were offered a job.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do at last job? Are you a citizen? Numerical problems   Answer Question
    There is a standard salary. Those who work diligently get paid same as those who do little if anything

Foreign Commercial Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Commerce in June 2014.

Exhaustive, very detailed, long term process - It took me three years to the day to get on-boarded once I submitted my initial written application. Don't be in a hurry.

Interview Questions
    • Most Difficult: Listing every international business trip and overseas contact for the previous several years.   View Answer
    Not much negotiation, it's a federal job with clear criteria for entry pay grade.

Director of Public Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Commerce.

Most federal agencies scan resumes for words that exactly match the job description, so creative writing can work against you. Perhaps the federal government is now an easier employer to work with while job hunting, but most people I know, myself included find it cumbersome, slow moving and frustrating. The process feels more discouraging rather than encouraging, so patience is a must.

Interview Questions
    • I was very well qualified and eventually did get the position, but because I did not know the word match and did not parrot back exact wording, I was initially turned down as not being eligible   Answer Question
    Once I got an interview, the process went smoothly, although I did have to meet with several people who were friendly and professional. Salary negotiation was not an issue.

Speechwriting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Commerce in August 2013.

Interned at an International Trade Administration office in San Jose, and disseminated resume through a contact at DOC HQ. Director of Speechwriting saw resume and cover letter and arranged an interview. Interview included emphasis on writing and government experience. Placed emphasis on how interested I would be in working for Office of the Secretary as opposed to a more specialized area, such as in ITA.

Interview Questions
    • What did you learn about the structure of Commerce at your internship in San Jose?   Answer Question

International Trade Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Commerce in July 2013.

Submited my resume and cover letter to the contact listed on the Trade.gov website. Received a call back to schedule an interview 1 week later, found out I was selected for the internship 2 weeks after interview. Interview was simple, asked basic questions, why you are interested, why you are a good fit etc.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult quesions. Standard questions about the applicant and their interest.   Answer Question
    Volunteer Internship/ No pay

Post-Graduate Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Commerce in October 2012.

My academic counselor recommend a handful on top students to the DOC rep. I emailed the DOC rep to schedule a time and date for the one on one interview. The interview was very casual. Most of the time was spent discussing the operations of the DOC. And a large portion of the time was discussing my grad school class.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

interviewed at US Department of Commerce in March 2012.

I applied after a professor at my college referred me. I sent along my Resume and Cover Letter and was almost immediately contacted by the phone. Though they didn't tell me it was an interview before hand, it certainly felt like it. The interview consisted of questions about my Resume and my interest in working for the Dept of Commerce.

A few days later, they asked me to come down for an in-person interview. Most of the questions were "fit-based" or behavioral. They had a few technical questions and asked me about current affairs, the state of the economy (US and Global), and some questions about what the Dept of Commerce did.

I was called later that day with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • With the changing nature of the economy, how do you see the role of the Dept of Commerce evolving over the next 20 years?   Answer Question

International Trade Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Department of Commerce in January 2012.

I found the internship opportunity online and sent in my resume and cover letter. From there I was emailed back and set up a phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice on the telephone and only was thrown one curve ball question. just be prepared for all questions.

Business Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at US Department of Commerce in December 2011.

Email application and then had a phone interview. The issue was that there was a hiring freeze from the government so I couldn't even be hired as an unpaid intern. Internship was delayed from spring 2012 to summer 2012 in order to wait out the hiring freeze. They kept in contact with me though and even suggested other places to work in the meantime.

Interview Questions
    • None were unexpected. I told about myself, my interests, and my strengths as well as what I thought I could bring to the office.   View Answer
    Intern under grade/scale of govt rate. Issue was, there was a govt freeze so money was put on hold so I could not be paid for my first 6 months.