US Department of Defense Human Resources Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense (Louisville, KY) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was simple...too simple. The panel members had a series of generic questions they were required to ask, after which they allowed me to ask questions. At that time, it became obvious they were not prepared, as I asked specific questions about specific points of interest. Each time, I received an answer similar to, "We will look into that and get back to you." Over time, I did receive follow-up replies to each of my questions, however, much of the information proved to be incorrect after I accepted the position. As a result, I incurred nearly two thousand dollars in unreimbursed expenses.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about a time you used (insert skill here) in your current position." These specific words were used 3 times, to ask about 3 separate skills. At least make it APPEAR that you are not reading from a script.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Defense

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense (Dayton, OH) in January 2010.

Interview

Job was a hard to fill position due to the frequent travel. The interview was centered on availability to travel and work with autonomy. The only problem in the hiring process was the security clearance. It took 6 months to conduct, so I accepted the position and 6 months later was able to start the job. This problem has since been resolved.

Interview Questions

• If there was a job disagreement between yourself and your supervisor, who would ultimately win the argument?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Since this is a government position, there was very little negotiation.

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense in June 2010.

Interview

I was hired under the Federal Career Intern Program, which is excepted from the traditional federal hiring method, so I don't think I had to deal with as much of the red tape in that regard. I submitted a resume during a job fair at my college. 3 months later, I received a phone call from an admin assistant asking if I would be available to interview the next day. I was out of town and asked if there were any other available days. The assistant said the hiring manager would only be in town that one day (the program is headquartered out of my state). I went on with my job search, and received a similar phone call about 3 weeks later. Again, the woman asked if I could interview the following day, which I was able to do. I was required to complete a skills and personality index online before my interview.

The interview was very relaxed, and it seemed as if the interviewer had already made the decision to hire me based upon my resume, and was simply confirming his decision. He spent most of the time telling me about the Intern Program and asked a few questions about my resume, as well as a few questions about my character (i.e., how would a friend describe you?). He told me he would be in touch, and I received an offer about a week and a half later.

I was happy with the way the interview went, however, I was not pleased with the lack of organization when scheduling interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate - federal government has a structured pay grade system.

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Department of Defense in August 2008.

Interview

It was a typical interview. Nothing special. Suit and brief case. Do you homework about the job and show up on time. Conference room with several organizational members participating on the hiring committe.