US Department of Defense

Very Difficult Interview

IT Manager Interview

IT Manager
Richmond, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at US Department of Defense in January 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioral interview by panel of three senior managers. Always wanted examples of projects completed and results of work. Managers passed recommendations on three candidates on to selecting executive. Focus on ability to communicate complex concepts to clients, leading teams, and building relationships across working groups. Interviewers were supportive, posed appropriate follow-on questions, and kept the session comfortable and professional, non-adversarial. Only drawback in process is long delay in final selection, over 60 days to receive an offer.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to convince senior leaders to change a decision or perception.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated salary (Step within Pay Grade), within limits of federal pay scale. Negotiated hiring bonus. Other benefits not negotiable by law. Many assume salary cannot be negotiated for federal positions, and miss the opportunity. This puts them behind in the long term, as advancement is periodic, not performance based.

IT Manager Interview

IT Manager
Columbus, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Defense in January 2009.

Interview Details – The initial communication was from the HR department saying that I was selected for an interview and I would be contacted. Due to the distance I was away from the location a phone interview was set up, when I called I was told all the people on the panel (3 total) and after a brief introduction they stated with questions. The format was a behavioral based interview where there are few questions but answers are given in stories of past accomplishments.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when your leadership contributed to increasing IT security in your environment.   Answer Question
  • Describe a technical challenge that you lead a team to overcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation as I was already a federal employee.

Worked for US Department of Defense? Contribute to the Community!