US Department of Defense

Relevance Date Difficulty

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Defense in January 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process was long. It took about 4 months to get an email. Followed up with a phone. Went in for a panel interview. Why do you want to be a federal employee? What are your strengths and weakness? Do you prefer to work on a team or individually.

Interview Question – Questions were very easy, more so about my previous experience.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview Details – USA Jobs is a well defined process. The rules are well vetted and transparent. There is nothing more to be added. Pom publishes the process which has undergone legal review.

Interview Question – There were none that could not be answered. The interview process was well defined.   Answer Question

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Human Resources Specialist
Dayton, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Defense in January 2010.

Interview Details – Job was a hard to fill position due to the frequent travel. The interview was centered on availability to travel and work with autonomy. The only problem in the hiring process was the security clearance. It took 6 months to conduct, so I accepted the position and 6 months later was able to start the job. This problem has since been resolved.

Interview Question – If there was a job disagreement between yourself and your supervisor, who would ultimately win the argument?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Since this is a government position, there was very little negotiation.

Law Enforcement Interview

Law Enforcement

Interviewed at US Department of Defense

Interview Details – Applied for position and was expected to meet high standards and mental aptitude prior to be considered for a position. Once eligible for a position more test were needed to confirm eligibility within a field of interest. A physical test and a barrage of skills tests were also needed to determine a good fit.

Interview Question – What is my strength.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A stated contract

Auditor Interview

Auditor
Fort Lee, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Defense in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was with a small panel. Standard interview questions. Process can take a very long time so if you apply hang in there. You may get a call back 2-3 months later.

Interview Question – Nothing very difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Zero negotiation on salary.

Manager Interview

Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview Details – Follow directions from USA Jobs. Sometimes it is hard to tell if an internal candidate has the inside track for the job offering. The hardest part is getting your resume through Personnel...really key in on the job description and get those key words in your education, training, and experience.

Interview Question – It is really hard to tell. Generally will be interviewed by a panel with a set of questions addressed to all being interviewed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate, the pay scale is set. You may be able to get a little more if you can prove that your current salary is above their offer.

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview Details – Telephone, then one in-person interview. Plus background screening

Interview Question – Why would you want to work here when you could make much more money elsewhere?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Lots of untruths. The people who offer you a salary can come back later and say "it didn't get approved". Don't start until you have it in writing. I had it in writing, but they still shaved 4 grand off my signing bonus once I started working.

Very Easy Interview

Unit Administrator Interview

Unit Administrator
Belleville, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Defense in September 2010.

Interview Details – Apply online at USAjobs. Process for a call can be lengthy. If you are in a good professional relationship with the unit commander, you can slide in front of other candidates. A call will be recieved from CPAC which is an informal interview. After the initial CPAC call they will call back with a qualifying offer. The position has 2 grades, GS 5 OR 7. If your resume does not grade out they will offer you the 5 for 12 months. This is negotiable however. Don't let them strong arm you into taking less money for a year. The position does not require any secondary education.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. Standard fare.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty much taken care of on the position offer call.

Contracting Officer Interview

Contracting Officer

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview Details – Interview was conducted via teleconference. Questions were fair and nothing tricky.

Interview Question – The interview questions were not terribly difficult to answer as long as you had sufficient contracting background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations as I was transferring from another location.

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview Details – I applied for a position that I saw on USAjobs. Now they will take a while getting back with you. They called me 9 months later. I honestly forgot that I applied for the job. I agreed to an interview. A few days later they extended a job offer. Most positions with the government require a security clarence and drug screen. I didn't need either (not that it would have been an issue) but if you have to have or obtain a secret clarence that can hold up your employment a little. Other than being slow it's a pretty smooth hiring process.

Interview Question – Reall kinda hard to answer because it depends on what you are interviewing for. I hate when any employer ask me, "Why should we hire you?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none really.

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Department of Defense

Worked for US Department of Defense? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Defense interview questions and advice. All 103 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Defense employees and interview candidates.