US Department of Defense Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.5

Branch Chief Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

You must use the USAJOBS.GOV application process. Top 10 resumes passed to hiring official.
    To help decide whether to interview you or not.
     Some hiring officials will call your old supervisor some will not.
     All of them will do a Face book query on you.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your networking experience emphasis on technical aspects. Router / switch configuration.
      How much windows server, Unix or Linux experience do you have?
      Have you ever run Information Management operations help desk?

Answer Question

Negotiation

Depends on the unit that you are entering. Some will negotiate pay step some will not.

Senior Advisor Interview

Interview

This is a contract process. You are usually locked in contract that will have to be redo every four years. It isn't a contract that you will be able to negotiate. The rules and regulations are set before you every join. You will be able to plan you future and able to forecast what you will make as the years go by. You will even be able to forecast when you will get promoted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No it wasn't a negotiation phase.

Logistics Manager Interview

Interview

Took a long time to get the interview. Once I got it, was a panel with very specific closed ended questions. There really was no small talk. The people are really regulated as to what they can do throughout the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Instructional Systems Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

Once the basic qualifications have been met, you will be evaluated on the quality and extent of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of this position. The evaluation will be based on information you provide in your on-line resume, your answers to the knowledge, skills, and abilities questions for this announcement, and a review of the application material requested as part of this announcement.

Systems Safety Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Picatinny Arsenal, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense (Picatinny Arsenal, NJ).

Interview

The hiring process was long and drawn out, as expected when dealing with a multi-tiered, enormous organization like the DoD, particularly since a security clearance is required. That said, the interview was exceedingly easy, and more of a sales pitch than a test of character/knowledge.

Negotiation

Initial salary was non-negotiable.

Summer Interview

Interview

Initially the process was seemed to be a bit lengthy but when traced back to when I began the process, it was only 4 months. That's pretty fast for a security clearance process. In all, the hiring process wasn't bad. The interview was pretty straight forward and more of a behavioral based type interview. I wouldn't assume that it is like that for any other positions though so be prepared and knowledgeable about your skills and what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions. Pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

USA Jobs is a well defined process. The rules are well vetted and transparent. There is nothing more to be added. Pom publishes the process which has undergone legal review.

Interview Questions

• There were none that could not be answered. The interview process was well defined.   Answer Question

Security Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Defense in July 2014.

Interview

I applied via USAjobs in July 2014. I uploaded all my documents and sent it along with my application. I received an e-mail during the first week of August 2014 asking me if I was still interested in the position and I was offered a date for a phone interview, which was about a week later. I did a panel interview (3 personnel from HR). It was the type of Robin interview where each person took turns asking a question or two (non-stop) be prepared for this.

Interview Questions

• It was a fair interview. It lasted about 30-35 minutes. I was asked approximately 12-15 questions. I do not recall exactly how many. Some of the questions i remember were the following:
      why did you decide to apply for this position?
      why should we hire you?
      describe in detail your government intelligence experience?
      describe intelligence equipment you have operate on? (they wanted a lot of details on this)
      how do i keep myself organized/ (they wanted LOTS of details on this one too, its a big part of the job, so i suggest you do your research well and even talk to people who currently perform this type of work, i did and it really helped me)
      describe a time when you had a disagreement with your boss or someone and how you handled it? where do you see yourself in the future/5 years?
      tell me about your military experience?
      describe how proficient i was with MS Office
      when will i be available to start working

1 Answer

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense (Louisville, KY) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was simple...too simple. The panel members had a series of generic questions they were required to ask, after which they allowed me to ask questions. At that time, it became obvious they were not prepared, as I asked specific questions about specific points of interest. Each time, I received an answer similar to, "We will look into that and get back to you." Over time, I did receive follow-up replies to each of my questions, however, much of the information proved to be incorrect after I accepted the position. As a result, I incurred nearly two thousand dollars in unreimbursed expenses.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about a time you used (insert skill here) in your current position." These specific words were used 3 times, to ask about 3 separate skills. At least make it APPEAR that you are not reading from a script.   Answer Question

Law Enforcement Interview

Interview

Applied for position and was expected to meet high standards and mental aptitude prior to be considered for a position. Once eligible for a position more test were needed to confirm eligibility within a field of interest. A physical test and a barrage of skills tests were also needed to determine a good fit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

A stated contract