US Department of Defense

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

2.5

Logistics Manager Interview

Took a long time to get the interview. Once I got it, was a panel with very specific closed ended questions. There really was no small talk. The people are really regulated as to what they can do throughout the interview.

No negotiation

Instructional Systems Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

Once the basic qualifications have been met, you will be evaluated on the quality and extent of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of this position. The evaluation will be based on information you provide in your on-line resume, your answers to the knowledge, skills, and abilities questions for this announcement, and a review of the application material requested as part of this announcement.

Systems Safety Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Picatinny Arsenal, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

The hiring process was long and drawn out, as expected when dealing with a multi-tiered, enormous organization like the DoD, particularly since a security clearance is required. That said, the interview was exceedingly easy, and more of a sales pitch than a test of character/knowledge.

Initial salary was non-negotiable.

Summer Interview

Initially the process was seemed to be a bit lengthy but when traced back to when I began the process, it was only 4 months. That's pretty fast for a security clearance process. In all, the hiring process wasn't bad. The interview was pretty straight forward and more of a behavioral based type interview. I wouldn't assume that it is like that for any other positions though so be prepared and knowledgeable about your skills and what they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. Pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

USA Jobs is a well defined process. The rules are well vetted and transparent. There is nothing more to be added. Pom publishes the process which has undergone legal review.

Interview Questions
    • There were none that could not be answered. The interview process was well defined.   Answer Question

Security Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Defense in July 2014.

I applied via USAjobs in July 2014. I uploaded all my documents and sent it along with my application. I received an e-mail during the first week of August 2014 asking me if I was still interested in the position and I was offered a date for a phone interview, which was about a week later. I did a panel interview (3 personnel from HR). It was the type of Robin interview where each person took turns asking a question or two (non-stop) be prepared for this.

Interview Questions
    • It was a fair interview. It lasted about 30-35 minutes. I was asked approximately 12-15 questions. I do not recall exactly how many. Some of the questions i remember were the following:
      why did you decide to apply for this position?
      why should we hire you?
      describe in detail your government intelligence experience?
      describe intelligence equipment you have operate on? (they wanted a lot of details on this)
      how do i keep myself organized/ (they wanted LOTS of details on this one too, its a big part of the job, so i suggest you do your research well and even talk to people who currently perform this type of work, i did and it really helped me)
      describe a time when you had a disagreement with your boss or someone and how you handled it? where do you see yourself in the future/5 years?
      tell me about your military experience?
      describe how proficient i was with MS Office
      when will i be available to start working

View Answer

Law Enforcement Interview

Applied for position and was expected to meet high standards and mental aptitude prior to be considered for a position. Once eligible for a position more test were needed to confirm eligibility within a field of interest. A physical test and a barrage of skills tests were also needed to determine a good fit.

A stated contract

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

Follow directions from USA Jobs. Sometimes it is hard to tell if an internal candidate has the inside track for the job offering. The hardest part is getting your resume through Personnel...really key in on the job description and get those key words in your education, training, and experience.

Interview Questions
    • It is really hard to tell. Generally will be interviewed by a panel with a set of questions addressed to all being interviewed.   Answer Question
    Not much to negotiate, the pay scale is set. You may be able to get a little more if you can prove that your current salary is above their offer.

Assistant Professor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

Telephone, then one in-person interview. Plus background screening

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to work here when you could make much more money elsewhere?   Answer Question
    Lots of untruths. The people who offer you a salary can come back later and say "it didn't get approved". Don't start until you have it in writing. I had it in writing, but they still shaved 4 grand off my signing bonus once I started working.

Contracting Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview was conducted via teleconference. Questions were fair and nothing tricky.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions were not terribly difficult to answer as long as you had sufficient contracting background.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations as I was transferring from another location.