US Department of Defense Interview Questions

2.5

PHNSY Marine Machinary Mechanic Apprentices Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard hires about 100+ Blue Collar trade apprentices a year. About 1000 persons take the test every year, but only 20% pass. It's a 90% Math100 and English100 test. They also use key words is your resume to select where to place you. Then you do a interview with three supervisors.
    I

Interview Questions
    • The shipyard is looking for long term workers, that works well in a teams and get along with everyone. It you have mechanical skills, talk about it because the interview will not ask you that questions. Because all the questions that every apprentice in a trade is asked is the same and you are not expected to know anything about your new trade. Pearl Harbor hires High School Graduates and Collage Students starting at $19.00+   View Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Monmouth, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Monmouth, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

Hiring process took about 3 months from start to finish. It was a panel interview of 4 people.

Interview Questions
    It was entry level and a career ladder 7/9/1/11.

Deployed Forces Support Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Defense in November 2013.

The hiring process is pretty standard. Submit resume/applications to local HR offices. This is a wonderful place to work for room to grow if you really put your best foot forward. The internal hiring process is much simpler, and most positions will require an entry level position experience within the DOD for a couple of years or valuable experience directly to the program to contribute immediately. It can be tedious, but in reality it is worth it once you get your foot in the door. The interviews are panel review style, extremely professional, but also very sincere.

Interview Questions
    • There are no "difficult" questions, merely questions that will allow them to grasp your knowledge of the concepts of their programs and missions and beliefs. The questions are aimed to discover what you actually know, and what you are making up as you go. If you know nothing of event programming, but are applying for an event programming career, their questions will bring that to light very quickly. Its a great place to work, they just value experience like everyone else. The entire thing can be very tedious and trying but patience is a virtue and great things come to those who wait.   Answer Question

Environmental Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Phone interview, offer call, acceptance paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you plan to be in five years?   View Answer
    If the offer is acceptable to me, I take it as offered.

Aerospace Inspector Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Getting hired long and difficult. Will hire entry level position only, there is no room for advancement, nepotism is rampant throughout the entire system! The hiring official has no accountability on whom they hire.

Resort Staff At Edelweiss Lodge Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Defense.

I interviewed at a hotel in Atlanta. The interviewer asked typical interview questions. Must show willingness to move abroad for the contract term, perform whatever kind of job they need to fill at the time, and prepare to follow a dress code.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult or unexpected. He asked a lot of questions about my willingness to fill a menial job if necessary.   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase. Contract.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Defense.

As an intern, my entire interview was a behavioral one. No position-related questions.

Marketing Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Defense.

I submitted a resume, was called and offered a job. No interview, no way of asking what to expect of the job. It was a blind decision, all because the hiring manager didn't have time to meet, his schedule was to busy.

Interview Questions
    • Would have loved the opportunity to be asked a question   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. Salary is pretty much set because of the government pay scale.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Point, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Defense in April 2013.

They contacted me after finding my profile/resume on the Office of Professional Management website and asked if I would be interested in the position. I did two additional interviews, with various department heads, to determine if I would be a good fit. I was asked behavioral questions such as "where do I see myself in 5 years?" I was also asked technical questions as this was a 2210-Information Security position and required additional certification (baseline DoD certification Security+). After about one month I was offered the position contingent on passing the security clearance process and completing the probation period of 1 year. This position was a GS- 11 position but because I am being trained for it, I started as GS- 09. After completing the 52 weeks probation period and my training, I will be moved into the GS - 11 grade. In order to start as a GS - 09 you also must have completed a Master's Degree.

Interview Questions
    • They questioned me regarding my Thesis work, asking me to explain in detail the premise of my Master's Thesis. My Thesis is very long and somewhat technical, making it difficult to explain succinctly to technical people with a different academic background in IT from myself. They had a lot of questions...   View Answer
    There was no negotiation

Contract Specialist Interview

I had applied as a college intern and had no real interview. The only question I was asked was if I still wanted the job (it took them 3 months to respond to my application).

Interview Questions
    • There were no interview questions for the college intern level.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating.