US Department of Defense Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.5

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

Slow to get an offer. Standard panel interview

Negotiation

No negotiation necessary

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

It was random. I applied online and they just picked some of the names in order to give everyone a fair chance of getting an internship and experience in general. There was no interview process or anything. They just received my resume and transcript.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. The pay is based on how long you have been there and your GPA in college and what your major is.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seaside, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Seaside, CA).

Interview

One interview, super easy, as I was referred. Extensive background check for security clearance and paperwork took several weeks before I was hired. I was given an offer letter, (which the contract agency adjusted downwards a year later in violation of the law) but then how to fill out an in-depth form for the clearance / background check.

Interview Questions

• Questions were a breeze. There was no vetting at all in that regard.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The contract agencies have some leeway in what they can offer, despite their pleas of poverty. They are making 200-300% or more off your work, so get a fair price if they want you, especially as their benefits are a joke for the most part. This goes for practically all agencies at DMDC except perhaps for HP.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

Being a Veteran has allowed for easier entrance into the GS System

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very little room to negotiate because I was already in the federal government system.

Operations Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Suffolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Suffolk, VA).

Interview

The interview was a good opportunity to share my experience and get to know some of those I would be working with. I feel that I had an excellent opportunity to show the panel what I was like and I was able to expand on what was in my resume. The hiring process was pathetic, however. It was 6 months from the time of the interview until my start date.

Interview Questions

• What is the last book you read and what did you learn from it?   1 Answer

Science Officer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

The hiring process was first a call from the Deputy Director to state that they are interested in interviewing you. Then the management admin. arranged all the details. The interview process consisted of a five person panel of current employees, who would be your colleagues, if you accepted employment and then a two person interview by management.

Interview Questions

• I really can't remember the most difficult or unexpected questions. The questions were all pretty much the typical interview questions (e.g. where do you see yourself in 5 years, etc.)?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate, but I should have negotiated for more.

Logistician Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Interview

Nothing out of the ordinary that you would have any where else. Just be you and you should have no problems unless you have a disability that really can not be overlooked.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was long. It took about 4 months to get an email. Followed up with a phone. Went in for a panel interview. Why do you want to be a federal employee? What are your strengths and weakness? Do you prefer to work on a team or individually.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very easy, more so about my previous experience.   Answer Question

Staff Officer Interview

Interview

The hiring process took nearly a year, during which time there was almost no communication from the administrative officers handling the interviewing and on-boarding. The hiring process consistent of a single interview that was entirely composed of behavioral questions. There was a heavy emphasis on why I wanted to join the Department of Defense.

PHNSY Marine Machinary Mechanic Apprentices Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Defense (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard hires about 100+ Blue Collar trade apprentices a year. About 1000 persons take the test every year, but only 20% pass. It's a 90% Math100 and English100 test. They also use key words is your resume to select where to place you. Then you do a interview with three supervisors. I

Interview Questions

• The shipyard is looking for long term workers, that works well in a teams and get along with everyone. It you have mechanical skills, talk about it because the interview will not ask you that questions. Because all the questions that every apprentice in a trade is asked is the same and you are not expected to know anything about your new trade. Pearl Harbor hires High School Graduates and Collage Students starting at $19.00+   1 Answer