US Department of Defense Interview Questions & Reviews in Washington, DC

2.8

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Defense in January 2010.

I applied online through USA Jobs. It requires an in depth online profile and a hour or so of job specific questions, but it's worth the time to get the right details. I then had a phone interview followed by an person panel interview. It took a while to get to the in person interview, but once that happened it was only a few days before the job offer.

no negotiation

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Defense in January 2014.

The hiring process was long. It took about 4 months to get an email. Followed up with a phone. Went in for a panel interview. Why do you want to be a federal employee? What are your strengths and weakness? Do you prefer to work on a team or individually.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very easy, more so about my previous experience.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Defense.

Follow directions from USA Jobs. Sometimes it is hard to tell if an internal candidate has the inside track for the job offering. The hardest part is getting your resume through Personnel...really key in on the job description and get those key words in your education, training, and experience.

Interview Questions
    • It is really hard to tell. Generally will be interviewed by a panel with a set of questions addressed to all being interviewed.   Answer Question
    Not much to negotiate, the pay scale is set. You may be able to get a little more if you can prove that your current salary is above their offer.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of Defense in April 2012.

For jobs open externally, candidates apply via USAJobs or via the agency web site. Jobs are announced for two weeks and it usually takes two to three weeks for HR to forward eligible candidates to the hiring manager. HR screening is minimal and it is not unusual for all candidates to be forwarded regardless of eligibility. In addition, hiring managers will also get resumes of those who HR deemed not eligible. This allows the hiring manager, to determine if any candidate not deemed eligible should be added to the eligible list. The hiring manager must get HR approval to move a candidate from the ineligible list to the eligible. This is important since only candidates on the eligible list can be selected. My experience as a hiring manager has been HR will usually defer to the hiring manager. ALL eligible applications are reviewed and scored. Company guidelines strongly recommend applications be reviewed by a diverse panel, most hiring managers do this. A diverse panel is one composed of a female and minority rep. They cannot be the same person. Panels are usually composed of four people but can be as small as two. As long as it meets the diversity requirement. I know, I know! How diverse can a panel with only a female and minority be! All female panels also meet the criteria as long as one is a minority. There have been complaints about this so most hiring manager try to form truly diverse panels, including someone from outside their career field but has a relationship with the group. All applicants are reviewed based on the same set of criteria. Criteria is usually based on the job description, additional duties, mandatory and desired requirements section of the job announcement. Tailor your resume to these!!! Hiring managers with input from the panel determine a "best qualified" list. This is the list of candidates who move on to be interviewed. Interviews are not mandatory but strongly recommended. Most hiring managers will interview candidates. Hiring managers like to interview at least four candidates, no more than six. However, there are always exceptions depending on the situation. After the interview candidates are ranked and discussed by the panel, which is chaired by the hiring manager (usually called the Selection Authority). Sometimes a number one ranked candidate may not be selected. As long as the hiring manager can justify this, it's not a problem. For example, Bob is the number one candidate but panel members have first hand knowledge he is not a team player and often is abrasive. Collaboration and teaming is critical to the position. Bill was ranked number two, his score was only marginally lower than Bob's. Bill is know for building teams, forging relationships, tact and diplomacy. Bill is recommended for the position. This recommendation goes forward to the Approving Official. If the panel has done its job and followed the HR guidelines, this is usually straightforward and quick - that is, once the Approving Official gets the package in front of him/her. For external candidates, if selected they will be called by HR and made an offer. Salary negotiations are through HR, but HR typically serves as the liaison between the hiring manager and candidate. At my agency, efficiencies were put in place and this process can be as quick as six weeks, including the time for posting the application. I believe internal applicants can check the status of their applications. Not sure about external applicants. The hiring manager calls all interviewees after a selection is made and often offers feedback. Feedback is always to be provided if requested. All other candidates are notified by HR after an offer is accepted. Panels usually pick an alternative in the event their first choice declines. This avoids repeating the process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you failed professionally, what lessons did you learn and how did you apply them to future efforts?   View Answer
    It was a lateral move, no bump in salary.

Cost Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

interviewed at US Department of Defense in April 2011.

Multiple phone interviews and one on-sight interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how to use regression analysis to judge sensitivity.   Answer Question

Deputy Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Defense in December 2012.

Very quick for Government. Interviewed on Tuesday and was offered job the following Monday. That said - could not start until the following month. That part was slow (getting the required drug test, paperwork submitted, forms, etc.) I am not surprised - this process was faster than most in the Government service.

Interview Questions
    • In this job you will be required to work with subordinates of varying experience. Describe your leadership style - how will you work to educate and advance subordinates who are not as capable while allowing those with significant experience to operate with greater latitude?   Answer Question
    Non existant. Salary was directed. Take it or leave it. I was surprised by the inflexibility of this point - as I had prior military service directly related to the Deputy Director job I was taking. Given the impending hiring freeze - I was not in a position to leverage a negotiation.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at US Department of Defense in January 2012.

Thorough multi-day background investigation with polygraph, financials, certification of birth, certification of citizenship, family, residences, previous supervisors, medical status. Several hour written pyshological evaluation and interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing if you are honest and have nothing to hide.   View Answer

It was obvious the environment was toxic, unhealthy and the people hide behind uneasy smiles

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Defense in December 2010.

I received an email to set up the date of the interview from a series of possible days. The interview was arranged for a month later. I was interviewed in a hotel room by three managers at the organization. I had prepared for behavioral questions typically asked of recent graduates, such as "how do you work as a member of a team" and "what is your greatest weakness." The questions, delivered by a stoney-faced higher-up who never smiled, were about international relations and current events. I would recommend for people who interview to prep by staying abreast of the news and foreign policy, and to focus on up to three issues that you'll be able to speak about in-depth. If you can speak intelligently on foreign affairs, or at least demonstrate logic in your thought, you should be fine. Don't be worried that there are three people sitting around you, or that some of them look unhappy and unimpressed. That's just the nature of the people you'll be dealing with!

Interview Questions
    • Pretend I'm the President and I am relying on you for information regarding any issue of your choice. Brief me.   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of Defense in May 2010.

I was poached, so the interview process was minimal and easy

long and drawn out since the gov't had difficulty hiring anyone

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at US Department of Defense in January 2008.

They only check your resume and grades for entry level positions. The ability to handle the work and your inspirations. Basically you have to show yourself as a very nice and cool person. Smile, it does help a lot. Show that you are productive and you are also a good friend. Feds want normal people who can achive results.

Interview Questions
    • they were all easy, they were looking for a new guy with good grades, responsible,cool, and definetly, NO criminal recors at all.   View Answer
    that is very hard for entry levels, however they are flexible if you have experience, and if you know somebody from the inside.

Worked for US Department of Defense? Contribute to the Community!