US Department of Health and Human Services Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.6

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Rockville, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online on USAjobs.gov back in August 2014. Got referred to hiring manager in October 2014 and received an interview in November 2014. First interview (phone) was panel of three people with one question. Second round consisted of three panel in-person.

Human Service Manager Interview

Interview

Must go through individual and at times group interviews. Positive for people to have direct experience in case management and ability to think fast and make informed decisions. Interview questions focus on these traits.Many reference checks and in depth criminal history as well as drug testing.

Negotiation

very little ability for negotiation.

Public Health Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with HHS several times over the past few years and the process, experience was completely different each time. It really depends on the agency within HHS as they sometimes do things differently. Most started with a phone interview followed by a second (in one case 3rd) interview...after your resume finally makes it through USAJOBS. However, last job interview was with just two ppl-no phone interview first or 2nd interview-and got job offer about a month afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Questions pretty standard, interviewer pretty pleasant   Answer Question

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

It was a very friendly interview overall. They smiled all the time and you can tell that they are paying attention to you when you are talking. All the questions are just typical behavioral questions. They want to know why you want to work at their department so make sure you come up with a good reason why you want to work there. You will be doing a short phone interview then one round of on-site interview and that is it.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carson City, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Carson City, NV) in April 2014.

Interview

Had to apply online through the State website. Had to take an exam to qualify which I was contacted to take about two weeks after submitting my application. Two weeks later after passing the exam and becoming eligible I was contacted for an interview. Interview was fairly easy. Asked a series of 5 questions. Two of the questions were behavioral questions. For example, "If you and another employee weren't getting along, how would you resolve the issue?"

Interview Questions

• How does your experience relate to this position?   1 Answer

Student Extern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Lawton, OK).

Interview

No interview process was conducted. Internship occurred during the winter break between semesters. Informed of hiring via phone call after application was reviewed

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied for the position via USA Jobs in March 2013. I was contacted by a manager via e-mail at the end of October 2013, requesting an updated copy of my resume and my availability for a phone interview. A few days later I had a phone interview with a manager, I later received a phone call from another manager stating that I was referred to him for a potential job opportunity within his division. I had a phone interview with him the very next day and was offered an in-person interview which took place early November 2013. The in-person interview consisted of 3 interviews with the manager and two of his staff members. Each interview lasted about 15-20 minutes. The manager stated that he was going to consult with his team and contact me with a decision by the end of the week (November 2013). I had not heard anything about the job so I followed up with the manager and was told that there was hang up in HR and that he would get back to me regarding next steps. I received a few e-mails requesting updated documents. I received my tentative job offer March 31, 2014. The process took one year from application to receiving the offer.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were based mostly on my experience so there were not any difficult questions. I did answer a few behavioral questions like "What would you do if you received an assignment from two different people, how would you prioritize it?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Systems Analyst IV Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

Interview

Small one hour interview with fixed set of questions from a sheet

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations

Senior Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

There was almost no interview process. I met the selecting official at a conference event, had an extended discussion, and the rest of the process was formality. The key was providing exactly what they needed at exactly the time they needed it - and all serendipity. In retrospect, they probably regret the brevity and spontaneity (or simply lack) of process because I had entered public service with my OWN agenda and the congruity of mine and theirs wasn't as good as they hoped.

Interview Questions

• How would you change from traditional business to an e-business approach?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The only negotiation was over job title and whether they could sweeten the compensation with educational benefits (read: student loan repayment assistance). Those issues were quickly dealt with and an amended offer was accepted.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Bethesda, MD) in June 2013.

Interview

Very complicated and multilevel in paperwork, but in person only one person. I wasn't asked as many questions as I was told what would be expected of me. This department had already had two people quit and so they really needed someone to come on board and help. My job duties were nebulous because I believe there was no job description at the time, and they were bridging gaps.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't any. I was told that was their ceiling for my position and take it or not.