US Department of Health and Human Services Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.6

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Christiansted, VI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Christiansted, VI) in May 2010.

Interview

I truely did not feel ready for this interview, i was very much not prepard

Interview Questions

• How would you say you rate your skills at multi-tasking, or being pulled from one thing to another, on a regular basis?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle conflict?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in June 2009.

Interview

Online application, followed by a panel interview.

Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2010.

Interview

Submitted application. Several months later received a phone call asking if I was still interested. Phone call acted as a initial interview based upon the flow of the conversation and topics presented. At the end of the conversation asked to attend a in-person interview. In-person interview consisted of a panel of 3. Much of the interview was like presenting your bio. Personality was is a major factor. The following week received a phone call from HR asking if I would accept the position.

Interview Questions

• Several questions were scenario based. Also consisted of your typical strengths, weaknesses, and describe a incident and what would you do different.   Answer Question

Deputy Director of Operations Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

Interview

I was recruited by the Secretary. First interview was with the White House Liaison, then I interviewed with one of the Secretary's Senior Advisors. After that I interviewed with two Assistant Secretaries and the Director of another office with an opening. The final interview was with the White House Liaison to determine which office would be the best fit.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question related to internal policy issues with which I was not acquainted.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was about which GS level I would start at. It was fair, and quick.

Public Health Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with HHS several times over the past few years and the process, experience was completely different each time. It really depends on the agency within HHS as they sometimes do things differently. Most started with a phone interview followed by a second (in one case 3rd) interview...after your resume finally makes it through USAJOBS. However, last job interview was with just two ppl-no phone interview first or 2nd interview-and got job offer about a month afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Questions pretty standard, interviewer pretty pleasant   Answer Question

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

It was a very friendly interview overall. They smiled all the time and you can tell that they are paying attention to you when you are talking. All the questions are just typical behavioral questions. They want to know why you want to work at their department so make sure you come up with a good reason why you want to work there. You will be doing a short phone interview then one round of on-site interview and that is it.

Travel Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

The job started with a phone interview the was grueling. this was through ahead hunter 3rd party service. they grilled me like I was on trial. The in person interview was held the next day with the person who conducted my phone interview and the person that I would actually be working.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Columbia, SC) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied online, received a call about 3 weeks later to schedule an interview. The interview was a panel interview consisting of 3 supervisors. They took turns asking questions, very strange questions, such as your biggest weakness. Also, they tended to ask different questions that all had the same answer.

Branch Chief Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in August 2009.

Interview

Standard government hiring process

Interview Questions

• Explain how to manage all IT Security programs   1 Answer
    • Why you plan to change your job   1 Answer

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Bethesda, MD) in April 2009.

Interview

As with most government jobs the process was long and protracted. I checked last week and still no decision has been reach. I applied on line and then I waited to be called for an interview. The interview consisted of a panel which included the Director of the division and 5 of his direct reports. One of which was the hiring manager. They asked a series of questions regarding my work experience. They were also willing to share some of the challenges that the agency faces and how the new employee would fit into the mix. There was a great deal of interest as to why I was ready to leave Capitol Hill to work on low profile projects. There were also a lot of questions about what it is like to work on the hill. It is not uncommon but it does get annoying. Some people will grant hill staffers an interview just to ask questions. There was some of that in this interview. Again...I am still waiting to hear if I got the job or not. It is going on 6 weeks now.

Interview Questions

• Why are you wanting to make a lateral move? Why aren't you seeking positions that have promotion potential?   1 Answer