US Department of Health and Human Services Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.6

Human Service Manager Interview

Interview

Must go through individual and at times group interviews. Positive for people to have direct experience in case management and ability to think fast and make informed decisions. Interview questions focus on these traits.Many reference checks and in depth criminal history as well as drug testing.

Negotiation

very little ability for negotiation.

Student Extern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawton, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Lawton, OK).

Interview

No interview process was conducted. Internship occurred during the winter break between semesters. Informed of hiring via phone call after application was reviewed

Personal Care Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Santa Rosa, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

The process was wonderful. A brief introduction, and then some screening procedures. I wish that the screening was more vigorous and that the standard was higher, but, it was fine.

Systems Analyst IV Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services.

Interview

Small one hour interview with fixed set of questions from a sheet

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations

Senior Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

There was almost no interview process. I met the selecting official at a conference event, had an extended discussion, and the rest of the process was formality. The key was providing exactly what they needed at exactly the time they needed it - and all serendipity. In retrospect, they probably regret the brevity and spontaneity (or simply lack) of process because I had entered public service with my OWN agenda and the congruity of mine and theirs wasn't as good as they hoped.

Interview Questions

• How would you change from traditional business to an e-business approach?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The only negotiation was over job title and whether they could sweeten the compensation with educational benefits (read: student loan repayment assistance). Those issues were quickly dealt with and an amended offer was accepted.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied for the position via USA Jobs in March 2013. I was contacted by a manager via e-mail at the end of October 2013, requesting an updated copy of my resume and my availability for a phone interview. A few days later I had a phone interview with a manager, I later received a phone call from another manager stating that I was referred to him for a potential job opportunity within his division. I had a phone interview with him the very next day and was offered an in-person interview which took place early November 2013. The in-person interview consisted of 3 interviews with the manager and two of his staff members. Each interview lasted about 15-20 minutes. The manager stated that he was going to consult with his team and contact me with a decision by the end of the week (November 2013). I had not heard anything about the job so I followed up with the manager and was told that there was hang up in HR and that he would get back to me regarding next steps. I received a few e-mails requesting updated documents. I received my tentative job offer March 31, 2014. The process took one year from application to receiving the offer.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were based mostly on my experience so there were not any difficult questions. I did answer a few behavioral questions like "What would you do if you received an assignment from two different people, how would you prioritize it?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Health Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

My interview was a panel with 5 people in the room and 2 on the phone. Interviewers were seeking specific skills to fill specific positions within their divisions. Questions asked ranged from knowledge of specific health insurance policy questions to functional areas such as project management, regulation writing, and healthcare economics.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult - selling enthusiasm and mission focus were the key things for this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to successfully negotiate due to a non-transparent HR system.

IT Liaison Interview

Interview

Submitted resume and filled application. For called for interview. Interview friendly no hard questions.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Dallas, TX) in August 2010.

Interview

The application was lengthy. I received a follow-up call for an interview a month later. I went in for the interview in professional dress. They gave me an option to do my interview at either office location (a real plus in my book). The questions in the interview were pretty standard. What is your biggest weakness? What is your biggest strength? Tell me about yourself. Etc.

Interview Questions

• The only question that seemed not "textbook" was how would you react to having your audit report come back with a bunch of edit marks and suggestions? I believe my answer to this question landed me the offer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. It's a government job. Everyone is treated the same.

Staff Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Monterey Park, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Monterey Park, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I got the the interview through their college campus recruitment through the career center's job board. I was a selected candidate for an entry-level staff auditor position. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes in the morning. They were looking for candidates with interpersonal skills, some audit experience, and technical writing skills. They had asked me to describe my past experience in those three areas. I had illustrated my interpersonal skills by telling them about my past experience of gathering business requirements from numerous stakeholders for projects. I had also elaborated on my auditing skills as I have completed an information technologies compliance audit. Finally, discussed the aptitude of my technical writing skills from my past experiences creating internal control procedures, documenting business processes, and variance reporting for senior management.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any past experience in auditing?   1 Answer
    • Do you possess technical writing skills?   1 Answer
    • Are you willing to travel?   1 Answer