US Department of Health and Human Services Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.6

Personal Care Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Santa Rosa, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

The process was wonderful. A brief introduction, and then some screening procedures. I wish that the screening was more vigorous and that the standard was higher, but, it was fine.

Senior Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

There was almost no interview process. I met the selecting official at a conference event, had an extended discussion, and the rest of the process was formality. The key was providing exactly what they needed at exactly the time they needed it - and all serendipity. In retrospect, they probably regret the brevity and spontaneity (or simply lack) of process because I had entered public service with my OWN agenda and the congruity of mine and theirs wasn't as good as they hoped.

Interview Questions

• How would you change from traditional business to an e-business approach?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The only negotiation was over job title and whether they could sweeten the compensation with educational benefits (read: student loan repayment assistance). Those issues were quickly dealt with and an amended offer was accepted.

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

It was a very friendly interview overall. They smiled all the time and you can tell that they are paying attention to you when you are talking. All the questions are just typical behavioral questions. They want to know why you want to work at their department so make sure you come up with a good reason why you want to work there. You will be doing a short phone interview then one round of on-site interview and that is it.

Public Health Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with HHS several times over the past few years and the process, experience was completely different each time. It really depends on the agency within HHS as they sometimes do things differently. Most started with a phone interview followed by a second (in one case 3rd) interview...after your resume finally makes it through USAJOBS. However, last job interview was with just two ppl-no phone interview first or 2nd interview-and got job offer about a month afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Questions pretty standard, interviewer pretty pleasant   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Rockville, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online on USAjobs.gov back in August 2014. Got referred to hiring manager in October 2014 and received an interview in November 2014. First interview (phone) was panel of three people with one question. Second round consisted of three panel in-person.

Interview

Must go through individual and at times group interviews. Positive for people to have direct experience in case management and ability to think fast and make informed decisions. Interview questions focus on these traits.Many reference checks and in depth criminal history as well as drug testing.

Negotiation

very little ability for negotiation.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carson City, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Carson City, NV) in April 2014.

Interview

Had to apply online through the State website. Had to take an exam to qualify which I was contacted to take about two weeks after submitting my application. Two weeks later after passing the exam and becoming eligible I was contacted for an interview. Interview was fairly easy. Asked a series of 5 questions. Two of the questions were behavioral questions. For example, "If you and another employee weren't getting along, how would you resolve the issue?"

Interview Questions

• How does your experience relate to this position?   1 Answer

Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2010.

Interview

Submitted application. Several months later received a phone call asking if I was still interested. Phone call acted as a initial interview based upon the flow of the conversation and topics presented. At the end of the conversation asked to attend a in-person interview. In-person interview consisted of a panel of 3. Much of the interview was like presenting your bio. Personality was is a major factor. The following week received a phone call from HR asking if I would accept the position.

Interview Questions

• Several questions were scenario based. Also consisted of your typical strengths, weaknesses, and describe a incident and what would you do different.   Answer Question

Health Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

My interview was a panel with 5 people in the room and 2 on the phone. Interviewers were seeking specific skills to fill specific positions within their divisions. Questions asked ranged from knowledge of specific health insurance policy questions to functional areas such as project management, regulation writing, and healthcare economics.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult - selling enthusiasm and mission focus were the key things for this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to successfully negotiate due to a non-transparent HR system.

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Rockville, MD) in July 2010.

Interview

Selected from a list of some 1800 applicants, most likely for diversity reasons. Interview was by Head of department and one senior official. Simple interview, nothing complicated.

Negotiation

HR would not negotiate. Either I accepted their offer or not. The pay was 30% less than my previous pay but being out of work for 6 months I had no other prospects.