US Department of Health and Human Services Interview Questions

Updated Nov 14, 2014

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in August 2010.

The application was lengthy. I received a follow-up call for an interview a month later. I went in for the interview in professional dress. They gave me an option to do my interview at either office location (a real plus in my book). The questions in the interview were pretty standard. What is your biggest weakness? What is your biggest strength? Tell me about yourself. Etc.

Interview Questions
    • The only question that seemed not "textbook" was how would you react to having your audit report come back with a bunch of edit marks and suggestions? I believe my answer to this question landed me the offer.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. It's a government job. Everyone is treated the same.

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in July 2010.

Selected from a list of some 1800 applicants, most likely for diversity reasons. Interview was by Head of department and one senior official. Simple interview, nothing complicated.

HR would not negotiate. Either I accepted their offer or not. The pay was 30% less than my previous pay but being out of work for 6 months I had no other prospects.

Travel Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in May 2010.

The job started with a phone interview the was grueling. this was through ahead hunter 3rd party service. they grilled me like I was on trial. The in person interview was held the next day with the person who conducted my phone interview and the person that I would actually be working.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Christiansted, VI
    Anonymous Employee in Christiansted, VI

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in May 2010.

I truely did not feel ready for this interview, i was very much not prepard

Interview Questions
    • How would you say you rate your skills at multi-tasking, or being pulled from one thing to another, on a regular basis?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle conflict?   Answer Question

Auditor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2010.

Submitted application. Several months later received a phone call asking if I was still interested. Phone call acted as a initial interview based upon the flow of the conversation and topics presented. At the end of the conversation asked to attend a in-person interview. In-person interview consisted of a panel of 3. Much of the interview was like presenting your bio. Personality was is a major factor. The following week received a phone call from HR asking if I would accept the position.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions were scenario based. Also consisted of your typical strengths, weaknesses, and describe a incident and what would you do different.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in February 2010.

The interview lasted for about an hour. There were 3 people interviewing me. Some of the questions were:

Why Dept of HHS?
    What is your biggest accomplishment?
    Tell me about yourself?
    Do you have any experience with SQL, databases?

Thats really all I can remember. Athough they emailed me back and said that they liked me , there for looking for IT Auditors. I said that wasnt my speciality in the interview so thats why they didnt pick me. I was just being honest. Most classes I took pretained to FInancial Statement Auditing.

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in November 2009.

I want to commuicate my co-worker, focus my work and perform all my work assignments.

Interview Questions
    • I want to ask questions about my work assignments.   View Answer
    My instructors will travel train and follow my instructions from my instructors.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in August 2009.

Very nice people. Interviewed a lot of people. The office environment was very professional and the tasks seemed very interesting. The job consisted of a lot of research and writing and working with colleagues. The office is in a nice location.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2009.

It was okay but clearly I was overqualified for the position.

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2009.

As with most government jobs the process was long and protracted. I checked last week and still no decision has been reach. I applied on line and then I waited to be called for an interview. The interview consisted of a panel which included the Director of the division and 5 of his direct reports. One of which was the hiring manager. They asked a series of questions regarding my work experience. They were also willing to share some of the challenges that the agency faces and how the new employee would fit into the mix. There was a great deal of interest as to why I was ready to leave Capitol Hill to work on low profile projects. There were also a lot of questions about what it is like to work on the hill. It is not uncommon but it does get annoying. Some people will grant hill staffers an interview just to ask questions. There was some of that in this interview. Again...I am still waiting to hear if I got the job or not. It is going on 6 weeks now.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you wanting to make a lateral move? Why aren't you seeking positions that have promotion potential?   View Answer

See What US Department of Health and Human Services Employees Are Saying

Current Program Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros: “I've worked on amazing projects that get covered by national news and make a real nationwide impact because of the Stimulus Bill and Affordable Care Act funding.” Full Review