US Department of Health and Human Services Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.6

Personal Care Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Santa Rosa, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

The process was wonderful. A brief introduction, and then some screening procedures. I wish that the screening was more vigorous and that the standard was higher, but, it was fine.

Health Insurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

My interview was a panel with 5 people in the room and 2 on the phone. Interviewers were seeking specific skills to fill specific positions within their divisions. Questions asked ranged from knowledge of specific health insurance policy questions to functional areas such as project management, regulation writing, and healthcare economics.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult - selling enthusiasm and mission focus were the key things for this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to successfully negotiate due to a non-transparent HR system.

Staff Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monterey Park, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Monterey Park, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I got the the interview through their college campus recruitment through the career center's job board. I was a selected candidate for an entry-level staff auditor position. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes in the morning. They were looking for candidates with interpersonal skills, some audit experience, and technical writing skills. They had asked me to describe my past experience in those three areas. I had illustrated my interpersonal skills by telling them about my past experience of gathering business requirements from numerous stakeholders for projects. I had also elaborated on my auditing skills as I have completed an information technologies compliance audit. Finally, discussed the aptitude of my technical writing skills from my past experiences creating internal control procedures, documenting business processes, and variance reporting for senior management.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any past experience in auditing?   1 Answer
    • Do you possess technical writing skills?   1 Answer
    • Are you willing to travel?   1 Answer

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Columbia, SC) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied online, received a call about 3 weeks later to schedule an interview. The interview was a panel interview consisting of 3 supervisors. They took turns asking questions, very strange questions, such as your biggest weakness. Also, they tended to ask different questions that all had the same answer.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Dallas, TX) in August 2010.

Interview

The application was lengthy. I received a follow-up call for an interview a month later. I went in for the interview in professional dress. They gave me an option to do my interview at either office location (a real plus in my book). The questions in the interview were pretty standard. What is your biggest weakness? What is your biggest strength? Tell me about yourself. Etc.

Interview Questions

• The only question that seemed not "textbook" was how would you react to having your audit report come back with a bunch of edit marks and suggestions? I believe my answer to this question landed me the offer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. It's a government job. Everyone is treated the same.

Project Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Rockville, MD) in July 2010.

Interview

Selected from a list of some 1800 applicants, most likely for diversity reasons. Interview was by Head of department and one senior official. Simple interview, nothing complicated.

Negotiation

HR would not negotiate. Either I accepted their offer or not. The pay was 30% less than my previous pay but being out of work for 6 months I had no other prospects.

Travel Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) in May 2010.

Interview

The job started with a phone interview the was grueling. this was through ahead hunter 3rd party service. they grilled me like I was on trial. The in person interview was held the next day with the person who conducted my phone interview and the person that I would actually be working.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Christiansted, VI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Christiansted, VI) in May 2010.

Interview

I truely did not feel ready for this interview, i was very much not prepard

Interview Questions

• How would you say you rate your skills at multi-tasking, or being pulled from one thing to another, on a regular basis?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle conflict?   Answer Question

Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services in April 2010.

Interview

Submitted application. Several months later received a phone call asking if I was still interested. Phone call acted as a initial interview based upon the flow of the conversation and topics presented. At the end of the conversation asked to attend a in-person interview. In-person interview consisted of a panel of 3. Much of the interview was like presenting your bio. Personality was is a major factor. The following week received a phone call from HR asking if I would accept the position.

Interview Questions

• Several questions were scenario based. Also consisted of your typical strengths, weaknesses, and describe a incident and what would you do different.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Health and Human Services (Atlanta, GA) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview lasted for about an hour. There were 3 people interviewing me. Some of the questions were: Why Dept of HHS? What is your biggest accomplishment? Tell me about yourself? Do you have any experience with SQL, databases? Thats really all I can remember. Athough they emailed me back and said that they liked me , there for looking for IT Auditors. I said that wasnt my speciality in the interview so thats why they didnt pick me. I was just being honest. Most classes I took pretained to FInancial Statement Auditing.

Interview Questions

See What US Department of Health and Human Services Employees Are Saying

Current Anonymous Employee

Pros: “Work that makes a difference nationally and globally More attention paid to healthy work life balance”“Work that makes a difference nationally and globally More attention paid to healthy work life balance” – Full Review