US Department of Homeland Security Contract Specialist Interview Questions

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC) in July 2010.

Interview

The program was called APCP program, it started with on campus interview, phone interview and panel interview. I was hired with a cohort of 14, the whole process to 7 months.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Homeland Security

Contract Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in May 2010.

Interview

Hiring process is in-person. Panel of 3-4 peers and supervisor(s) that could potentially end up working with you. The questions are the typical "what to expect in an interview" standard and sort of boring questions. Your resume isn't looked at specifically, so it's up to you to highlight your qualities and connect the dots. The workplace culture is a bit stiff, as you would expect in the federal government and there is no room for any creativity. However, if you are the home-loving type that loves stability, great benefits, potential to move up every 4 or 5 years depending on who retires and a reasonable salary... then this is a great place for you. Everyone here is basically a lifer and will go through the major life milestones in relatively the same position. There's a second phone interview if you make it through the first round. The third round is the background check and drug test, which can take up to 2-3 months if they are backlogged.

Interview Questions

• There was a question that was similar to a logic puzzle Google employers ask.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. The salary offered is all you can get in the government because everything is already scheduled.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security (Washington, DC) in May 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by e-mail about a week after the application closed to let me know I had met the minimum qualifications. I was then contacted by an HR Rep a couple of days later to set up an interview. There was one group interview and I was notified that I could expect a wait of about 2 months before a tentative job offer could be made. I never heard back and a status request via a voicemail was never returned.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a product set or service that you had to negotiate the terms of sale.   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in December 2009.

Interview

Apply online through USAJOBS. They will call you for interview or send email. It will take about one hour. Interviewers were nice and tried to make you feel at ease. Questions asked: For contracting they will will ask you for the years of experience and the type of contracts you've worked. What would think your present supervisor would say is your good qualities and what are your deficiencies. How much simplified acquisition experience do you have? Other contract types you have worked on. Have you ever obtained a warrant and what type of warrant.

Interview Questions

• What are the characteristics of a good contracting officer?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if your contracting officer representative did not perform their job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None