US Department of Homeland Security

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Contract Specialist Interview

Senior Contract Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview Details – The interview process did not permit the use of a telephone - it was an In person process. Consequently, scheduling had to be adjusted in order to find a time that was mutually agreeable to both me and the interviewing panel. This allowed the agency to size me up visually, as well as to evaluate my ability to respond orally to questions.

Interview Question – Describe a recent challenge and the steps you took to overcome it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None - salaries are federal general schedule.

Very Difficult Interview

Special Agent Interview

Special Agent
Boise, ID

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in January 2010.

Interview Details – Be very careful to include as much info as possible from the KSAO's.

Interview Question – Have you ever used marijuana?   View Answer

Import Specialist Interview

Import Specialist
Nogales, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in February 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and application via USA Jobs.com. Once position closed several weeks later I was notified via email that my application was referred to the hiring agency. A few months latter I was emailed a questionnaire, along with a request for an interview time via phone.

Interview Question – What experience do you have in this field for import specialist coordinator position?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Management Program Analyst Interview

Management Program Analyst
Rosslyn, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview Details – It's the federal government, so you start out on USA Jobs. Once you submit your application through their online application, USA Jobs will email you letting you know if you qualify for the position/pay grade or not. If you don't, they say thanks for applying and that is it. If you do qualify, you will be contacted by the hiring manager for an interview. The interview is standard - tell me about your experience and why you want to work here. If you're chosen you start the process, if not they'll let you know.

Interview Question – There wasn't an unexpected question, it was pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They said there was an option for Loan Repayment but asking for it would postpone my offer - I asked for it and after the fact they said I didn't qualify, so not sure why they offered it as an option. There isn't a salary negotiation since it is a Federal position.

Law Enforcement Specialist - Instructor Interview

Law Enforcement Specialist - Instructor
Brunswick, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview Details – Phone call to schedule an Interview. Instructions on how to prepare for interview by email; one day will be skills testing (how well you apply skills you will be teaching), next day will be an interview (1:1), presentation and delivery of a related course of instruction you have prepared to a class of Senior Instructors, followed by a 2nd interview by a panel of branch chiefs and senior instructors. Travel to Interview site to meet POC, and a short tour. Upon arrival next day, I was given (1:1) interview, then told there would be a change, and that I would have to teach my class first, which I was prepared to do. After which I was given the second interview. I was asked to come in the following day to complete the skills test with other candidates, which I did. Upon the results of the skills test being confirmed, I was swooped away to my original interviewer's office, where I was congratulated for my efforts, explained the details from panel members of my interview, and offered the position and a start date.

Interview Question – If you witness or have knowledge that an instructor is citing or demonstrating inaccurate, unethical, or potentially dangerous information or conduct, how would you handle the situation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – From the initial In-Service Grade offer, at a Step level 1, over a period of three days I negotiated a Step-increase to level 7, which I accepted, in addition to a paid relocation allowance.

Director Interview

Director
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in July 2010.

Interview Details – USAJOBS...elongated process...took seven months from application submission to interview to firm job offer.

Negotiation Details – slightly difficult...required documentation as proof of salary justification...

Supervisory Program Manager Interview

Supervisory Program Manager
Springfield, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in December 2011.

Interview Details – The processes utilizes USAJobs

Interview Question – What are my weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. The pay is pretty well set.

Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in March 2010.

Interview Details – The entire process took place over a roughly six-month period. It is comprised of several in-person appointments at different locations and includes specific assessment tests, sometimes weeks apart. Being contacted by federal agents is a possibility. Do not expect to be hired or paid quickly, this is more of an enlistment process but without room-and-board.

Interview Question – Are you a law-abiding citizen, and do you associate with other law-abiding citizens, according to Federal Law? (You may be surprised.)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Positions are clearly described, so read them carefully. Pay grades are coded, which means they reveal the pay grade up-front, but you may have to research what that means in your net pay. This also means that your starting wages are non-negotiable; you get what you get.

Transportation Security Officer

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview Details – A year long process starting online ending with many tests and interview panel.

Interview Question – Most questions revolved around customer service and problem solving.   Answer Question

Transportation Security Officer

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview Details – Very long, it took about seven months. You have to pass multiple background tests going back seven years, as well as physical fitness tests, psychological profiling, visual coordination, drug testing, financial sceening etc. Multiple call ins and appointments as well.

Interview Question – How I would react to a live threat.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Worked for US Department of Homeland Security? Contribute to the Community!