US Department of Homeland Security Interview Questions in Washington, DC

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Security Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in July 2011.

Easy, technical questions from non-technical people. Interview was more focused on how I would fit in with the team and my ability to make contribution given the complex political landscape. Interview was one hour and at varies times I was told that the most frustrating part of this job would be to know that the employee is right but that the right thing is not what DHS but the politically appropriate thing. It was discouraging to hear that in an interview.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

I really don't recall much of anything about an interview so long ago. The hiring process started out electronically through USAJOBS and I eventually got an in person interview. I dressed by best and presented myself the best I good. Nothing out of the usual.

Interview Questions
    • What are you strengths and weakness. Not a new question or unusual, but know your weakness and how you adjust for them   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation.

Investigative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in January 2010.

This job you will not have to interview for. Simply be on the best qualified list based of education, military and relevant work experience. Once you are the list, the selecting official will decide on who to hire.

There was none.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Very long process from initiation to application submission to selection. Must pass suitability as well as security clearance process. Standardized Office of Personnel Management questions as per any federal positions. It was posted for a range of GS steps to be negotiated at selection. Household moving was provided with travel per diem.

Interview Questions
    • Do you want to be located at HQ in DC or at the lab facility   View Answer
    Top GS 15 salary used previous work experience, accomplishments, salary and employer expectations

Senior Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

The interview process did not permit the use of a telephone - it was an In person process. Consequently, scheduling had to be adjusted in order to find a time that was mutually agreeable to both me and the interviewing panel. This allowed the agency to size me up visually, as well as to evaluate my ability to respond orally to questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a recent challenge and the steps you took to overcome it.   View Answer
    None - salaries are federal general schedule.

Management Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rosslyn, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosslyn, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

It's the federal government, so you start out on USA Jobs. Once you submit your application through their online application, USA Jobs will email you letting you know if you qualify for the position/pay grade or not. If you don't, they say thanks for applying and that is it. If you do qualify, you will be contacted by the hiring manager for an interview. The interview is standard - tell me about your experience and why you want to work here. If you're chosen you start the process, if not they'll let you know.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't an unexpected question, it was pretty standard.   Answer Question
    They said there was an option for Loan Repayment but asking for it would postpone my offer - I asked for it and after the fact they said I didn't qualify, so not sure why they offered it as an option. There isn't a salary negotiation since it is a Federal position.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 7 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in July 2010.

USAJOBS...elongated process...took seven months from application submission to interview to firm job offer.

slightly difficult...required documentation as proof of salary justification...

Supervisory Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in December 2011.

The processes utilizes USAJobs

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase. The pay is pretty well set.

Public Affairs Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in March 2009.

Federal hiring process.

No negotiation

Intelligence Research Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in August 2008.

I worked as a temp office worker while awaiting my security clearance transfer. I was transitioning from the US Army (12 years experience)...same career field. The office i worked at was the HR department for office of Investigations. They were the ones that convinced me to apply for a position with US Customs (which became DHS/ICE). The interview process was fairly simple and straight forward since they already knew me from work within the office.

Interview Questions
    • If I could be content working within law enforcement as opposed to the military environment I was used to.   Answer Question
    Very straightforward.

Worked for US Department of Homeland Security? Contribute to the Community!