US Department of Homeland Security

www.dhs.gov

US Department of Homeland Security Interview Questions & Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Director Interview

Director
Frederick, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview Details – Very long process from initiation to application submission to selection. Must pass suitability as well as security clearance process. Standardized Office of Personnel Management questions as per any federal positions. It was posted for a range of GS steps to be negotiated at selection. Household moving was provided with travel per diem.

Interview Question – Do you want to be located at HQ in DC or at the lab facility   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Top GS 15 salary used previous work experience, accomplishments, salary and employer expectations

Senior Contract Specialist Interview

Senior Contract Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview Details – The interview process did not permit the use of a telephone - it was an In person process. Consequently, scheduling had to be adjusted in order to find a time that was mutually agreeable to both me and the interviewing panel. This allowed the agency to size me up visually, as well as to evaluate my ability to respond orally to questions.

Interview Question – Describe a recent challenge and the steps you took to overcome it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None - salaries are federal general schedule.

Very Easy Interview

Management Program Analyst Interview

Management Program Analyst
Rosslyn, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview Details – It's the federal government, so you start out on USA Jobs. Once you submit your application through their online application, USA Jobs will email you letting you know if you qualify for the position/pay grade or not. If you don't, they say thanks for applying and that is it. If you do qualify, you will be contacted by the hiring manager for an interview. The interview is standard - tell me about your experience and why you want to work here. If you're chosen you start the process, if not they'll let you know.

Interview Question – There wasn't an unexpected question, it was pretty standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They said there was an option for Loan Repayment but asking for it would postpone my offer - I asked for it and after the fact they said I didn't qualify, so not sure why they offered it as an option. There isn't a salary negotiation since it is a Federal position.

Director Interview

Director
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in July 2010.

Interview Details – USAJOBS...elongated process...took seven months from application submission to interview to firm job offer.

Negotiation Details – slightly difficult...required documentation as proof of salary justification...

Supervisory Program Manager Interview

Supervisory Program Manager
Springfield, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in December 2011.

Interview Details – The processes utilizes USAJobs

Interview Question – What are my weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. The pay is pretty well set.

Public Affairs Manager Interview

Public Affairs Manager
Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in March 2009.

Interview Details – Federal hiring process.

Interview Question – Not relevant   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Intelligence Research Specialist Interview

Intelligence Research Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in August 2008.

Interview Details – I worked as a temp office worker while awaiting my security clearance transfer. I was transitioning from the US Army (12 years experience)...same career field. The office i worked at was the HR department for office of Investigations. They were the ones that convinced me to apply for a position with US Customs (which became DHS/ICE). The interview process was fairly simple and straight forward since they already knew me from work within the office.

Interview Question – If I could be content working within law enforcement as opposed to the military environment I was used to.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straightforward.

Intelligence Operations Specialist Interview

Intelligence Operations Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Interview Details – Telephone interview followed by in-person interview by top two senior managers.

Interview Question – What is your experience working with law enforcement?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in May 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a position in the DHS HQ CFO's office for an accountant position. The CFO office had many vacancies was hiring for many different divisions. I interviewed with a panel of 3 managers and one of the managers was completely hostile. He told me in not so many words that I was more qualified to mop the hallways than be an accountant in his office. The other two managers tried to unsuccessfully defuse the situation. The whole panel seem unorganized and did not seem fit to interview potential candidates much less manage anyone's office. They kept asking me what grade I had applied for and then didn't know which KSA's were on the vacancy annoucement.

Interview Question – So CBP allows employees to take off and go on interviews?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The entire ordeal was unprofessional and it was a reflection of the agency. No wonder DHS has the problems they have; look at who they allow to interview potential candidates.

Senior Advisor Interview

Senior Advisor
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted 6 months after I applied. I actually forgot which position this was. The human resources person called me three times to reschedule the interview. I was told that this would be a 1:1 interview. I arrived early for the interview. The interview started 20 minutes late and it was a panel interview. They did not use scripted questions. The one panel member looked completely disinterested. Turns out this was a "screening" interview and if I passed I would interview with the hiring manager. The whole thing seemed very subjective and unprofessional.

Interview Question – Do you even have biodefense experience?   Answer Question

Worked for US Department of Homeland Security? Contribute to the Community!