US Department of Homeland Security

2.8

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Pathways Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

The application process starts on USAJobs with filling out an application. The interview process for my position was done by phone only. After the selections are done the hiring process is fairly easy. Like most processes it is very time consuming waiting on the background check to clear.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in October 2014.

The first stage involved a phone interview. Here were the questions posed: (1) Tell us about yourself. (2) What makes you want to work at DHS? (3) What attracts your to government work? (4) What areas of law interest you? (5) What is your perfect working environment? (6) What sets you apart from other candidates? (7) What was your greatest challenge in law school? (8) What is the most important thing you learned in law school?

Overall, my interviewer was incredibly nice and interesting to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • Frankly, the questions were pretty standard. Nothing really difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

I really don't recall much of anything about an interview so long ago. The hiring process started out electronically through USAJOBS and I eventually got an in person interview. I dressed by best and presented myself the best I good. Nothing out of the usual.

Interview Questions
    • What are you strengths and weakness. Not a new question or unusual, but know your weakness and how you adjust for them   Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiation.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Very long process from initiation to application submission to selection. Must pass suitability as well as security clearance process. Standardized Office of Personnel Management questions as per any federal positions. It was posted for a range of GS steps to be negotiated at selection. Household moving was provided with travel per diem.

Interview Questions
    • Do you want to be located at HQ in DC or at the lab facility   View Answer
    Top GS 15 salary used previous work experience, accomplishments, salary and employer expectations

Senior Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

The interview process did not permit the use of a telephone - it was an In person process. Consequently, scheduling had to be adjusted in order to find a time that was mutually agreeable to both me and the interviewing panel. This allowed the agency to size me up visually, as well as to evaluate my ability to respond orally to questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a recent challenge and the steps you took to overcome it.   View Answer
    None - salaries are federal general schedule.

Management Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosslyn, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosslyn, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

It's the federal government, so you start out on USA Jobs. Once you submit your application through their online application, USA Jobs will email you letting you know if you qualify for the position/pay grade or not. If you don't, they say thanks for applying and that is it. If you do qualify, you will be contacted by the hiring manager for an interview. The interview is standard - tell me about your experience and why you want to work here. If you're chosen you start the process, if not they'll let you know.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't an unexpected question, it was pretty standard.   Answer Question
    They said there was an option for Loan Repayment but asking for it would postpone my offer - I asked for it and after the fact they said I didn't qualify, so not sure why they offered it as an option. There isn't a salary negotiation since it is a Federal position.

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in May 2013.

Interview process is very long journey---expect it to take anywhere from 6 months to one year to get hired---especially if the position requires a security clearance. Interview itself was very matter of fact and nothing out of the ordinary. Overall, typical government-standard process that could be shortened by 6 months if they were more streamlined.

Received a better private sector offer

Intelligence Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Homeland Security.

Telephone interview followed by in-person interview by top two senior managers.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience working with law enforcement?   View Answer

Supervisory Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in December 2011.

The processes utilizes USAJobs

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase. The pay is pretty well set.

Senior Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Homeland Security in September 2011.

I was contacted 6 months after I applied. I actually forgot which position this was. The human resources person called me three times to reschedule the interview. I was told that this would be a 1:1 interview. I arrived early for the interview. The interview started 20 minutes late and it was a panel interview. They did not use scripted questions. The one panel member looked completely disinterested. Turns out this was a "screening" interview and if I passed I would interview with the hiring manager. The whole thing seemed very subjective and unprofessional.