US Department of Justice Interview Questions

Updated Feb 1, 2015

2.6

Interview

The senior attorney team interviewed me. The questions were broad and were focused on my current situation. I was able to clarify my current experience and current job situation.

Internship Interview

Interview

Applied through college internship site. E-mailed them. They said to send more paper work. Had a phone interview. It was a panel/group interview. It was straightforward. Then offer came. I had to fill out lots of paperwork. It looks great on my resume, but not a lot money.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was unpaid...so yeah...

Litigation Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

USA Jobs application then In-person interview at DOJ office -- not very difficult. Just know your resume and be able to talk about your written work. Don't stress -- it wasn't that bad. Just be able to talk clearly.

Interview Questions

• What would you like us to remember about you? Tell us about your senior essay.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None at all.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

A small panel that works at the DoJ Criminal Division, Office of International Affairs conducted a phone interview. The process was fairly simple, they asked me a few questions like why I was interested with their department, what are my future plans, my prior work experience, etc... Then they said they would e-mail me the following week about whether I got the internship or not.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected-- they asked my strengths and weaknesses, my work experience, my goals, etc...   Answer Question

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

1. You must apply online in response to a vacancy. Unsolicited resumes are not accepted. For special agents, the job series is 1811. To find these vacancies, go to usajobs.gov > Advanced Search > Job Series > enter "1811". Be sure to have all your application materials ready. Some announcements are only open for a short period. Sign up for alerts if possible.

2. If you make the first cut, you'll receive a date for written and physical testing. The written test is similar to an SAT and the minimum pre-employment physical requirements are on usms.gov.

3. If you're invited to a panel interview it is generally at the closest regional/division office to your residence. Expect scenario questions to demonstrate decision making and also an exercise to provide a writing sample. They may ask you for geographic areas of preference for your first duty station. Be sure to provide that information, but also be clear that you are willing to relocate anywhere.

4. Background and polygraph. Main thing is to be honest.

5. Most agencies will have you report directly to the academy for your first day. If married, consider waiting to move your family until you complete the six month training. It's hard for them to be alone in a city where they don't know anyone. Also, if your significant other has a career, it may be prudent for them to stay in place and keep working in case you don't make it through the academy. (Two dropped out in my class.)

6. This process can take a few months, but for most it is a couple years. You should absolutely apply for every agency that appeals to you (their press releases will give you a good idea of what they are actually doing). However, the reality is that there are only a few special agent positions for many excellent candidates; so while you're pursuing this career, be constructive with your time.

7. Glass door won't let me enter more than 365 days for entire application process, but for me, it was two years from test date to hire date.

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• There were no "off the wall" questions. Standard and professional.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I actually did negotiate. At the time the entry level grade was a 5/7. (It's higher now, thank goodness!).

In my panel interview, I was asked if I would accept a Grade 5 as a starting grade, and I said would prefer a 7. They said there were many other applicants with more experience then I had who would be willing to take a 5, so why did I think I was so special.

In a matter of fact tone I replied that I had reviewed the criteria established by THEIR agency, and I met and actually exceeded the requirements for a 7. (Of course I would have taken a 5, and my heart sank after the words came out thinking I just blew it.)

The main interviewer grinned and said, "okay then." I guess he wanted to see if I'd stand up for myself. And yes, I got the job offer and the 7. :)

Officer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

wasn't to bad, had a pannel interview after the phone interview. alot of paperwork, make sure you have everything covered before you hand in all of your paperwork. The interview its self wasn't to challenging.

Legal Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied via school career in Washington database. I was contacted about one week later, and I had one 30 minute phone interview with the internship coordinator. Interview was pretty straight forward, mostly concerned with background, resume, research experience, future goals. They told me they would let me know within 3 weeks, and three weeks later I got an offer.

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

Submitted an application via email to the individual office. Received an email a week later to schedule an phone interview. The interview was with two individuals who worked in the office and lasted approximately 30 minutes. Following the interview I waited for nearly a month to receive notification.

Interview Questions

• They were mostly focused on prior experience and what was the most enjoyable part of law school.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Justice (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied on USA Jobs. I had the screening interview (with two supervisors) a month later, and a callback (with one senior attorney) a few weeks thereafter. After I accepted the offer, I went through an extensive two-month background check that included in-person interviews and a drug test. I actually started about five months after initially applying. Communication was sparse ( heard from someone maybe once a week) throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a difficult experience and how you handled yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It's the government, so there wasn't much to negotiate beyond the initial grade level.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview

Resume and GPA were of the utmost importance. Other than that I think they really appreciated people who were themselves at the interview. A balance of personality and obvious intelligence is desired.

Interview Questions

• My particular interviewers asked me about a moot court argument I was working on. They then began to ask me questions about the issue and I had to assume an advocate role immediately   Answer Question