US Department of Justice

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

2.6

Litigation Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Justice.

USA Jobs application then In-person interview at DOJ office -- not very difficult. Just know your resume and be able to talk about your written work. Don't stress -- it wasn't that bad. Just be able to talk clearly.

Interview Questions
    • What would you like us to remember about you? Tell us about your senior essay.   Answer Question
    None at all.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Justice in July 2014.

A small panel that works at the DoJ Criminal Division, Office of International Affairs conducted a phone interview. The process was fairly simple, they asked me a few questions like why I was interested with their department, what are my future plans, my prior work experience, etc... Then they said they would e-mail me the following week about whether I got the internship or not.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected-- they asked my strengths and weaknesses, my work experience, my goals, etc...   Answer Question

Special Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Justice.

1. You must apply online in response to a vacancy. Unsolicited resumes are not accepted. For special agents, the job series is 1811. To find these vacancies, go to usajobs.gov > Advanced Search > Job Series > enter "1811". Be sure to have all your application materials ready. Some announcements are only open for a short period. Sign up for alerts if possible.

2. If you make the first cut, you'll receive a date for written and physical testing. The written test is similar to an SAT and the minimum pre-employment physical requirements are on usms.gov.

3. If you're invited to a panel interview it is generally at the closest regional/division office to your residence. Expect scenario questions to demonstrate decision making and also an exercise to provide a writing sample. They may ask you for geographic areas of preference for your first duty station. Be sure to provide that information, but also be clear that you are willing to relocate anywhere.

4. Background and polygraph. Main thing is to be honest.

5. Most agencies will have you report directly to the academy for your first day. If married, consider waiting to move your family until you complete the six month training. It's hard for them to be alone in a city where they don't know anyone. Also, if your significant other has a career, it may be prudent for them to stay in place and keep working in case you don't make it through the academy. (Two dropped out in my class.)

6. This process can take a few months, but for most it is a couple years. You should absolutely apply for every agency that appeals to you (their press releases will give you a good idea of what they are actually doing). However, the reality is that there are only a few special agent positions for many excellent candidates; so while you're pursuing this career, be constructive with your time.

7. Glass door won't let me enter more than 365 days for entire application process, but for me, it was two years from test date to hire date.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • There were no "off the wall" questions. Standard and professional.   Answer Question
    I actually did negotiate. At the time the entry level grade was a 5/7. (It's higher now, thank goodness!).

In my panel interview, I was asked if I would accept a Grade 5 as a starting grade, and I said would prefer a 7. They said there were many other applicants with more experience then I had who would be willing to take a 5, so why did I think I was so special.

In a matter of fact tone I replied that I had reviewed the criteria established by THEIR agency, and I met and actually exceeded the requirements for a 7. (Of course I would have taken a 5, and my heart sank after the words came out thinking I just blew it.)

The main interviewer grinned and said, "okay then." I guess he wanted to see if I'd stand up for myself. And yes, I got the job offer and the 7. :)

Officer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Justice.

wasn't to bad, had a pannel interview after the phone interview. alot of paperwork, make sure you have everything covered before you hand in all of your paperwork. The interview its self wasn't to challenging.

Legal Assistant Interview

Applied via school career in Washington database. I was contacted about one week later, and I had one 30 minute phone interview with the internship coordinator. Interview was pretty straight forward, mostly concerned with background, resume, research experience, future goals. They told me they would let me know within 3 weeks, and three weeks later I got an offer.

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Justice.

Submitted an application via email to the individual office. Received an email a week later to schedule an phone interview. The interview was with two individuals who worked in the office and lasted approximately 30 minutes. Following the interview I waited for nearly a month to receive notification.

Interview Questions
    • They were mostly focused on prior experience and what was the most enjoyable part of law school.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Justice.

Applied on USA Jobs. I had the screening interview (with two supervisors) a month later, and a callback (with one senior attorney) a few weeks thereafter. After I accepted the offer, I went through an extensive two-month background check that included in-person interviews and a drug test. I actually started about five months after initially applying. Communication was sparse ( heard from someone maybe once a week) throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a difficult experience and how you handled yourself.   Answer Question
    It's the government, so there wasn't much to negotiate beyond the initial grade level.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Resume and GPA were of the utmost importance. Other than that I think they really appreciated people who were themselves at the interview. A balance of personality and obvious intelligence is desired.

Interview Questions
    • My particular interviewers asked me about a moot court argument I was working on. They then began to ask me questions about the issue and I had to assume an advocate role immediately   Answer Question

Correctional Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Justice in June 2013.

Online application very extensive be prepared to have detailed information going back at least ten years, one month latter, onsite interview, drug test (urinalysis test) , full physical, Citizenship Verification, age Verification can not be over age 37, unless age wavier(only given to recently discharge veterans)Start background paper work. One month later receive date to report to Federal Law Enforcement Training Centers (FLETC)

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you saw the Captain (head of correction services) giving retaliation ( beating an inmate) in responseTo a previous assault on another staff member.   View Answer
    NA

Paralegal Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Justice.

I was offered an interview a few months after applying through USAjobs.gov. The interview was very pleasant and lasted about one and a half hours. My interviewer made me feel as if I was talking to a friend. At the end of the conversation, I was asked to provide references, and these references were contacted the day after my interview.