US Department of Justice

Relevance Date Difficulty

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Department of Justice.

Interview Details – Applied on USA Jobs. I had the screening interview (with two supervisors) a month later, and a callback (with one senior attorney) a few weeks thereafter. After I accepted the offer, I went through an extensive two-month background check that included in-person interviews and a drug test. I actually started about five months after initially applying. Communication was sparse ( heard from someone maybe once a week) throughout the process.

Interview Question – Tell us about a difficult experience and how you handled yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's the government, so there wasn't much to negotiate beyond the initial grade level.

Senior Trial Attorney Interview

Senior Trial Attorney
Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at US Department of Justice in November 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a differnent position at the Dept of Justice. There is a fair amount of jumping from job to job inside the Department. In the private sector, these types of lateral moves are often informal and quick. In the governement, they usually take on a more formal panel interview style as if you are interviewing for a different employer. WIth the limited outside hiring do to budget constraints there are even more internal moves these days.

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Justice in April 2011.

Interview Details – I initially got in touch with the Office of Justice Programs at the Department of Justice through a friend. I emailed the intern coordinator early in the spring on 2011 and asked about the internship program. I sent in a resume and cover letter, and was called to schedule a phone interview shortly after. The interview was relatively brief (about 30 minutes) and asked basic questions about my experiences and how they related to the office I hoped to work in. I was tentatively offered the job about a week later, but then had to go through a several week long background check. Be careful with any job or internship in the justice/intelligence/defense community because the background check can take a while and really hold you up!

Interview Question – tell me about an experience you have had doing research   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Legal Assistant
Washington, DC

The process took 5 days - interviewed at US Department of Justice in August 2010.

Interview Details – Friendly, but the job opening had attracted hundreds of applicants and they went through each submission, so you'd have to be insanely lucky to land anything there at this time.

Interview Question – General background experience?   Answer Question

Summer Law Clerk Interview

Summer Law Clerk
Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Justice in March 2010.

Interview Details – One phone interview with an alum from my school. Someone else found out about the internship and referred me to him. The conversation was easy and freeflowing. We didn't even really talk much about law, which I think makes sense. 1Ls don't know much. I would have liked to have had a little more information about the position.

Working at DOJ is worth it even if you aren't getting paid. It opens doors to lots of other opportunities. It is also really great to work with really smart people who are committed to public service.

The office is super laid back in terms of needing to run personal errands during the day and whatnot, but don't expect to check out at 5pm everyday. People tend to stay late and work pretty hard.

It's a great substantive experience for someone interested in working for the government.

I would definitely say try to find a prosecution job here because it's such a unique opportunity.

Interview Question – Tell me about how you ended up at law school and why you are applying for this job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Offers are fiexed. No pay for summer law clerks unless you do the SLIP program.

Clerk Interview

Clerk
Washington, DC

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at US Department of Justice in August 2009.

Interview Details – Got an email saying they wished to interview me on the phone. Made and appointment. Phone interview was about 30 minutes with all standard questions. About 3 days later got a call saying they wanted to interview me. Interview was about an hour in a conference room at the office. Interview by supervisor and three paralegals. Again standard interview, no suprises.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Very Easy Interview

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal
Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Justice in December 2007.

Interview Details – You have to first take a test on USAJobs. I was told to interpret all of the questions as broadly as possible. (For example, if you had a lemonade stand as a kid, you can say you have owned a business.) Based on the results, your are assigned a rank compared to other candidates and may be called in for an interview. If you show up for the interview, you basically have the job. If the DOJ does not hire you, it also cannot hire anyone ranked below you. So unless you are at the bottom of the list, even if you give no preparation or thought to the interview, the hiring manager will probably not throw away what could be several other more-qualified candidates lower on the ranking by not giving you an offer.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for US Department of Justice? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Justice interview questions and advice in Washington, DC . All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Justice employees and interview candidates.