US Department of Labor

Relevance Date Difficulty

Educator/Instructor Interview

Educator/Instructor
Bridgeport, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at US Department of Labor in May 2014.

Interview Details – Department of Labor HR department asked for a letter of interest. It is extremely important to express yourself intelligently here. This is your first impression. Try to blow them away. With my letter of interest, I was able to get my foot in the door for an interview. They didn't ask me to submit my resume. Instead they told me to bring it in with me during the interview.
During the interview, I had to go through the basic questioning. They asked questions like, "How do you see yourself contributing to the team?" It was a lot of scenario base response questions. I enjoyed the experience.

Interview Question – How will you handle a work place conflict with another employee?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided to stay with the employer I was with for a couple more years.

Program Analyst Interview

Program Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of Labor in September 2011.

Interview Details – Sometimes very long, but new system at least allows you to see where you are in the process. Interview did not consist of actual job responsibilities. Expected completely didn't responsibilities from what was said in the interview.

Negotiation Details – None

Financial Management Specialist Interview

Financial Management Specialist
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Labor in August 2010.

Interview Details – It was a standard government interview. There was really nothing out of the ordinary. The interview lasted longer than I expected. So don't be surprised if you are there all day just for one interview.

Interview Question – Looking back, it is difficult for me to remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They give you a contract and you accept.

Compliance Officer Interview

Compliance Officer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Labor.

Interview Details – Initial application process is lengthy and response times are very slow. Interviews in person if you are local, over the phone if remote. Questions vary by priorities of local management and may not reflect the actual job duties. Selection and notification process also very lengthy.

Interview Question – Most difficult - typical what are your weaknesses questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Workers Compensation Claims Examiner Interview

Workers Compensation Claims Examiner
Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Labor in February 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process is slow! I was contacted by HR that my resume was forwarded to the hiring managers in February of 2012, contacted for a phone interview, then went to an in-person interview. Then I had to wait another three months to begin the job after receiving a tentative offer.

Interview Question – "Please explain how you worked with a team to compensate for multiple coworkers being away from the work center. How did you accomplish their work and yours?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was offered GS-9. Take it or leave it.

Investigator Interview

Investigator
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Labor.

Interview Details – Interview held at my graduate school and I answered standard questions. They followed up with a site visit to meet with upper management and I received an offer, which I accepted.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating as a new hire into the government.

Safety and Health Specialist Interview

Safety and Health Specialist

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Labor.

Interview Details – it was fine

Negotiation Details – no gs scale is not negotiable.

Very Easy Interview

Secretary Interview

Secretary

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Labor.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Mostly asked about my past administrative experience. It was quick and I was asked if I was able to handle some repetitive tasks.

Interview Question – How will I be able to handle repetitive and some menial tasks?   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at US Department of Labor.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by in-person.

Interview Question – What has been your greatest challenge?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was involved.

Whspecialist Interview

Whspecialist

I applied in-person and interviewed at US Department of Labor.

Interview Details – SF171 interview screening by OPM not actual agency

Interview Question – Assessing a fine even though you know the law is about to change and make action irrelevant?   Answer Question

Worked for US Department of Labor? Contribute to the Community!