US Department of State Interview Questions in Arlington, VA

3.5

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Via networking, I was told of an announcement on the Department of State's website for a mechanical engineering position. I followed up and submitted all the paper forms via fax to the HR office. About two months later, I was called by the HR person asking for verification that I was a veteran (I am a Vietnam veteran with honorable discharge). That was sent in and then I had to complete a length security questionnaire. Once that was sent in, then it was another two months waiting for a decision. I was told it was a lower salary that I was making, and I had to justify the salary for this position, based on years of experience in this industry. Finally, I got a written offer from the HR office and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• I was told by my first supervisor that I was on a one-year probation, and that during that time I could be fired for anything that he felt was justified.   Answer Question

Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State (Arlington, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very interesting. I had to travel to Washington DC on my own dime, find my own lodging, etc. The interview itself consisted of 4 phases that take about 3-4 hours to complete. I cannot go into detail (they make you sign a paper saying that you cannot disclose this type of information) but I can say that the interview was pretty free flowing. By that, I mean that there was little time of rest in between phases. You will have to explain your experience, verbally and on paper, you will get cross checked, you will be asked about international relations, foreign policy and current events, and you will be asked about security matters. The hardest part, beside the interview itself is the written test that you have to complete. You have 45 minutes to complete a 5 paragraph essay based on the information that the provide you with. It has to be official and relevant to the scenario that's been given to you. Written competency has to be sharp because of the time limit. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose that information, but I can say that your knowledge of government operations, functions and international relations as well as security operations, and integrating all of these will be required.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a conditional offer of employment based on my background investigation. If everything clears, then you get put on a waiting list called the register with a ranking, based on that ranking you will get assigned to a Special Agent class.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at US Department of State (Arlington, VA) in December 2008.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for work as a Software Engineer on long term contract position. After a brief phone screen of what I was looking for, I heard back from the recruiter that the State Dept was interested in interviewing me that week. Interview was fairly laidback with two people (project managers). It lasted about an hour and I was told that I was accepted a few days later. Guess it was a short process since it was a Contract job.

Interview Questions

• Business Intelligence/Reporting skills were emphasized   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not sure how flexible they are. I had quoted a decent rate and took it.