US Department of State English Language Fellow Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

English Language Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

There was a lengthy online interview process including a personal statement and 3 personalized reference letters. Then this was followed by a Skype interview 4-5 months later. I received a few emails matching me with jobs before I was finally offered a position in late June. In total the hiring process took more than 7 months.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of State

English Language Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of State (Seattle, WA) in May 2011.

Interview

The process starts with an interview and then you are put into a pool of job seekers according to regions setup by the government. There is an effort to accommodate a request but in the end you may be placed in an entirely different area than you requested. There is a great deal of paperwork. Once it is complete you are scheduled for an orientation held in Washington DC. The ticket is purchased and usually the job will begin about Sept. 1.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult part of teaching for you. What has been your greatest challenge living abroad.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I think that was the most difficult part because they are not very good at providing information on the financial consequences of your decision to work for them. Example, you are not aware that your tax status will be that of an contractor and you will be taxed at a much higher rate than if you work abroad for a foreign university. You are NOT told that if you do not stay with your current assignment then you must reapply all over again. Basically, whatever you decide you stay two years OR you risk no job at all.