US Department of State Foreign Affairs Officer Interview Questions

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

Interviewed through PMF program process. Interview was with three members of the hiring office and questions were a mix of testing technical knowledge and gauging my ability to fit in with the rest of the team. Questions were not particularly difficult, and it seemed like a premium was put on my fit with the "office culture".

Hiring was a PAIN. I was offered the job in June, and didn't start until the following February due to background investigation and a candidate with veteran's preference challenging my hiring. If you are trying to get hired for a job with a TS clearance, you may be waiting a long time. Process was also very opaque - they were really not able or willing to tell me anything other than "wait a bit longer, we will definitely bring you on, just be patient". To their credit, they did come through in the end.

Interview Questions
  • Questions were all pretty expected - most had to do with my graduate research.   Answer Question
Non-negotiable (defined by PMF program)

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of State

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Very based on who you know and on getting referred by an insider.

Interview Questions
    • "Imagine you arrive at the office and learn of a major natural disaster, refugees are crossing international borders, people are dying, etc., etc. - what do you do?"   View Answer
    No negotiation at all. It was a take it or leave it offer, with the HR person stating out loud that he has a stack of 500 other qualified people he can call next if I don't like the offered salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at US Department of State in November 2012.

I was a Presidential Management Fellowship Finalist and competed with other Finalists for this job. I was recruited directly by the agency.

Interview Questions
    • Describe you experience planning events and working with difficult people.   View Answer
    As a PMF, the program is highly regulated and base salary is set for you (no wiggle room).

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in July 2009.

I came in through a fellowship program after grad school. Applied to fellowship online, then applied to State online. Had several phone interviews before was hired. Entire process took about a year. Security clearance took four months.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - State pays all of its incoming fellows in my program the same amount.