US Department of State

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 8 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview Details – Interviewed through PMF program process. Interview was with three members of the hiring office and questions were a mix of testing technical knowledge and gauging my ability to fit in with the rest of the team. Questions were not particularly difficult, and it seemed like a premium was put on my fit with the "office culture".

Hiring was a PAIN. I was offered the job in June, and didn't start until the following February due to background investigation and a candidate with veteran's preference challenging my hiring. If you are trying to get hired for a job with a TS clearance, you may be waiting a long time. Process was also very opaque - they were really not able or willing to tell me anything other than "wait a bit longer, we will definitely bring you on, just be patient". To their credit, they did come through in the end.

Interview Question – Questions were all pretty expected - most had to do with my graduate research.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable (defined by PMF program)

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at US Department of State in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was a Presidential Management Fellowship Finalist and competed with other Finalists for this job. I was recruited directly by the agency.

Interview Question – Describe you experience planning events and working with difficult people.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As a PMF, the program is highly regulated and base salary is set for you (no wiggle room).

Foreign Affairs Officer

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of State in July 2009.

Interview Details – I came in through a fellowship program after grad school. Applied to fellowship online, then applied to State online. Had several phone interviews before was hired. Entire process took about a year. Security clearance took four months.

Interview Question – All questions were standard, no surprises.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - State pays all of its incoming fellows in my program the same amount.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at US Department of State

Interview Details – Very based on who you know and on getting referred by an insider.

Interview Question – "Imagine you arrive at the office and learn of a major natural disaster, refugees are crossing international borders, people are dying, etc., etc. - what do you do?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all. It was a take it or leave it offer, with the HR person stating out loud that he has a stack of 500 other qualified people he can call next if I don't like the offered salary.

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!