US Department of State Interview Questions & Reviews

3.2

Logistics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2010.

Once your resume passed the USA job process, you are referred, than called for an interview and possible written testing. Priority is given to certain candidates categories, if you are not a vet, you will need to wait for a long time if your application is submitted to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario questions, nothing different than what you would expect for this position   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation

Intern Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of State.

Apply via USAJobs; it's fairly specific, but beyond the brochure it isn't necessarily clear what the position will entail. I had a special website I was able to look at, which was a gigantic help, but that is far from true for other interns, especially in more obscure offices. The interview was fairly straightforward.

Information Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of State in June 2014.

Lengthy interview and they dont get to tell you where you went wrong. Funny that they decide a pass or fail, and just hand you a letter....worst kind of interview.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me why I wanted the job and why I feel suited for the position. I wouldn't want the job if I had not taken the time to avail myself for the interview!!   View Answer

FSO Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at US Department of State.

The hiring process is ardous and long. The written exam is meritorious, but it seems the oral exams are completely arbitrary! Once you are hired, then the security clearance could take a while. Finally, you get your medical clearance check, and it may turn out that you are not qualified for the job due to medical reasons.

none

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of State.

The application process is pretty rigorous, as are all security clearance positions. After you complete your initial application package, you will be contacted for a phone interview. My phone interview was actually pretty brief - they already knew they wanted me and just wanted to verify that I was still interested in the position. Of course, I said yes. The security clearance paperwork following the interview was the most tedious - you really need to know every place you've ever lived at and the dates, etc., as well as everywhere outside of the U.S. that you have travelled, the dates, whom you were with, etc.

Public Affairs Officer Intern Interview

interviewed at US Department of State in December 2013.

Applied online through USA Jobs website and was contacted via email by the post after about a month. The interview process was quite easy and mostly had questions regarding my availability and previous experience. I was able to ask many questions about what type of work I would be doing.

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at US Department of State in October 2010.

Must be a veteran! Otherwise you won't be considered for employment. The "cert" requires you to have been a veteran. Ten points guarantees you a job, having served in a war zone.

Financial Analyst Interview

In depth interview process. They will bring you through a tough process and compare you to other people. This is government so its a people organization. People skills are valued as much as professional viability.

swift

Passport Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of State in April 2013.

In person interview as first step

Interview Questions
    • How would I deal with doing a redundant mind numbing task for hours at a time?   Answer Question

Passport Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of State in March 2012.

Submitted application via usajobs.com. Was contacted by email a month later to set up a phone interview. The first interview was pretty standard. They wanted to see if I had the skills to adjudicate, make decisions and to be meticulous. A few weeks later I had a second interview that was more of the same. I was offered the job a week later. Once this was done I was sent a hireling package. This position requires a high risk public trust screening, this is similar to a security clearance. They went ten years back on law and conducted a credit check. The most important thing to this check is being completely honest. This number one thing that will cause you problems and takes the longest time. It took four months from accepting the position to getting to my start date.

Interview Questions
    • I really can't remember. I do remember that they were not impressed with prior leadership positions since this is an entry level position.   Answer Question
    No. This is a GS position and you fall under that scale

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!