US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

After a long application process, I received a phone call from my future advisor and answered a number of questions about my interests and commitment. I then was required to undergo a security clearance background check. This involved a very long and detailed form, several phone interviews, and an in person interview. In the weeks leading up to the internship, I received a final notice of acceptance to the position and confirmations that I had received my security clearance.

Interview Questions

• Will you be able to commit full time to this position over the summer?   Answer Question

Foreign Service Health Practitioner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview consisted of a 1-2 page essay, a 60 point questionaire. After you are done with that you go on to the oral assessment lasting about 2-3 hours. Interviewers were friendly and made it comfortable yet formal. Many of the interview questions required alot of though and they are designed to assess your capability to problem solve, communicate in an effective manner and how knowledgeable you are in your field. Fairly pleasant experience.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

The hiring process is all online so have a strong application because there was no interview. Your application can be reviewed by all agencies by Once selected, you must undergo a background check that will last around 3 months. You can only start and complete the internship if you pass the background check. Submit all documentation for the background check as quick as possible to ensure its completion before school starts.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

Apply 6 months ahead of start date on USAjobs. You do not need any connections or networking, which is really nice. Got emails from the bureaus I was interested in, Brasilia and Lisbon. Scheduled a phone interview for the crack of dawn. Language skills are a massive plus as well as a background of volunteer work. If you really want the internship apply to one of the less popular areas like smaller European countries or even better Africa.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the position/Department of State? (Question wasnt meant to be an "interview" question though)   Answer Question
    • We have a native Portuguese speaker here who will speak with you to gauge your fluency...   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Applied on USA Jobs and heard back in a few months. Had a phone interview and then got my COE. I then waited a few months to get my security clearance, and once received, I was off running.

Interview Questions

• If you had a few minutes with the Secretary of State, what would you say are the challenges facing U.S. Diplomacy today?   Answer Question

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Interview

Most of the jobs in the gs 12-14 range are pre-cooked for people already. Still it is worth taking a chance but dont be too disappointed. Jobs can be pulled and readvertized until the right person gets it. But for about 30 to 40 percent of the jobs there is no internal candidate.

Interview Questions

• Please explain how x on your resume meets the goals of the job   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very difficult to negotiate - they have sops which determine what they will offer.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

I sent in my application via USAJobs, and I was contacted after two weeks to set up a phone interview. My interviewer clearly did not read my resume. The interview stopped after I mentioned I had not previously used SharePoint. I was discouraged, particularly because I explained that I managed projects and developed websites in my previous positions. It wasn't going to be a good match.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Interview

Written test, essay, interview, medical and security clearances. Multi-step process took almost a year. Had to travel to DC for the interview on my own dime. Lots of competition. I was prepared for the interview and made it through to a job offer on my first try. Process was fair and now is a point of bonding among my colleagues.

Interview Questions

• Need to provide examples and back them up with details   Answer Question

Negotiation

Take it or leave it

Passport Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

6+ months, no interview. Contingent offer based on passing security clearance. Started within a month of security clearance.

Some colleagues that were interviewed had to go through two rounds with an interview panel.

Negotiation

No negotiation, federal. Except you can negotiate the starting grade. I didn't have to.

Intern Interview

Interview

Three interviews. They were fairly easy asking basic questions about the department and my knowledge of international affairs. I found them to be very welcoming and it seemed they wanted to choose me but were being very formal.

Negotiation

Its an internship so....