US Department of State

70 candidate interviews

CSC Intern Interview

CSC Intern

Interviewed at US Department of State

Interview Details – personal interview in their offices in Rome. They will ask you to go over your curriculum and report your experiences. Also they will ask why you are applying, why now, what you plan next and what are your expectations. Not hard. The head of office is going to ask you in english about your life and preparation, still easy.

Interview Question – how can you contribute to the office activities   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they give you nothing

Intern

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview Details – Applied for a summer intern position in late October/early November of the preceding year through USAJobs.gov. Got a call from the office's Director in mid-December offering me a position as an Intern--no interview. Position required a security clearance, so I submitted the necessary paperwork (a 30-page form documenting previous residences, international travel, criminal activity, drug use, financial troubles, etc.) in mid-January. Was interviewed by an investigator regarding that paperwork in mid-March. That interview lasted about 30-45 minutes and served to confirm/clarify the details on the form. Was granted security clearance by late April to start internship in late May.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview Details – Very tedious online application - you need to submit your resume on top of filling in your resume information into their own specific resume builder. You will also submit a statement of purpose, and this is very important. Moreover, you need to give detailed info for clearance.

Interview Question – Phone interview Qs: tell us a time you had to deal with a difficult person. Please introduce yourself in the foreign language you are studying.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Through email - very understanding - but they want full time interns. The minimum is 10 weeks and maximum is 14 weeks. Usually 8:30am to 5pm. Need strong writing and analytical skills.

Office Management Specialist Interview

Office Management Specialist

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview Details – I can only tell you about the Civil Service route. Applying to the state department online can be very difficult, unless you have veterans points, qualify for disabilities points, or applying through your college or university. The process no matter is very competitive for civil service jobs. The interview was pretty basic once I was contacted by a hiring director, the interview was similar to most interview.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult once I made to the interview. The best advice I can give is to start applying through a fellowship, or internship program.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay based on education and years of experience. Unless worked for another agency your prior exp wont likely count.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview: relatively easy, mostly behavioral and concerning my thoughts/opinions about current events.

Interview Question – Asked me to explain succinctly the events that were currently going on in the Middle East.   Answer Question

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Foreign Affairs Officer

Interviewed at US Department of State

Interview Details – Very based on who you know and on getting referred by an insider.

Interview Question – "Imagine you arrive at the office and learn of a major natural disaster, refugees are crossing international borders, people are dying, etc., etc. - what do you do?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all. It was a take it or leave it offer, with the HR person stating out loud that he has a stack of 500 other qualified people he can call next if I don't like the offered salary.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Foreign Service Officer

Interviewed at US Department of State

Interview Details – It's a test -- and it's changed since I've come in, so I can't give much info.

Interview Question – The interview questions are easy if you aren't an idiot.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Interviewed at US Department of State

Interview Details – Long application process, but no interview required. My references weren't contacted either. I don't know if this is typical for the State Department or specific to my bureau, but I submitted my application at the beginning of November and had an internship offer by mid-December.

Intern

Interview Details – The Hiring process was quick. However, the security clearance took awhile.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected question. They all pertained to the position and my availability.   Answer Question

OMS Interview

OMS

Interviewed at US Department of State

Interview Details – This is a structured interview with open-ended questions. Be prepared to add additional details, because the interviewer can't ask if you don't talk about it.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness. Cliché, but hard to answer.   Answer Question

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!