US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014
Updated Sep 23, 2014

3.2

Foreign Service Officer Interview

I was selected as a Pickering Fellow and was not required to take the exams until after I entered the service. It took me three tries to pass the FSOA. Don't go in thinking it will not be a challenge. Eat a healthy breakfast and get a good nights rest. Probably the most challenging day in your profession.

Interview Questions
    • Unfortunately, I signed a non-disclosure agreement and agreed not to disclose.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, they calculate your experience by what you put on your resume. Be exact and include volunteer experience!

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

Interviewed through PMF program process. Interview was with three members of the hiring office and questions were a mix of testing technical knowledge and gauging my ability to fit in with the rest of the team. Questions were not particularly difficult, and it seemed like a premium was put on my fit with the "office culture".

Hiring was a PAIN. I was offered the job in June, and didn't start until the following February due to background investigation and a candidate with veteran's preference challenging my hiring. If you are trying to get hired for a job with a TS clearance, you may be waiting a long time. Process was also very opaque - they were really not able or willing to tell me anything other than "wait a bit longer, we will definitely bring you on, just be patient". To their credit, they did come through in the end.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all pretty expected - most had to do with my graduate research.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable (defined by PMF program)

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

I initially filled out the online application. I was later contacted by a bureau coordinator and did a phone interview. She asked me about my strengths, weaknesses and why I wanted to work at State. Nothing out of the ordinary

Information Technology Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at US Department of State.

USA Jobs is the only process for all federal employment. You must make the cert by being evaluated as the top candidate from all of the other submissions in order for your information to passed on to the next phase and finally the hiring manager.

Dependent on your hiring manager and their ability to negotiate with HR on your behalf.

Intern Interview

Applied online, you can track your progress and see how far you go into the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

A cumbersome process in the 1990s-2000s, involving written exams at testing centers - now all online. The key is the oral interview. The key to being successful at the oral interview is to show that you can work in a group setting to accomplish a shared objective. Do not try to 'win', or you will lose. Find consensus.

Interview Questions
    • What is a tense situation that you managed to overcome in a work environment and how?   View Answer
    As a government, there is little room for negotiation, but there is some (salary - based on experience). Take advantage of it because once you join it becomes very rigid.

Public Affairs Officer Intern Interview

interviewed at US Department of State in December 2013.

Applied online through USA Jobs website and was contacted via email by the post after about a month. The interview process was quite easy and mostly had questions regarding my availability and previous experience. I was able to ask many questions about what type of work I would be doing.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

The Hiring process was quick. However, the security clearance took awhile.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question. They all pertained to the position and my availability.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Long application process, but no interview required. My references weren't contacted either. I don't know if this is typical for the State Department or specific to my bureau, but I submitted my application at the beginning of November and had an internship offer by mid-December.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

It's a test -- and it's changed since I've come in, so I can't give much info.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions are easy if you aren't an idiot.   Answer Question
    None