US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 8 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

Interviewed through PMF program process. Interview was with three members of the hiring office and questions were a mix of testing technical knowledge and gauging my ability to fit in with the rest of the team. Questions were not particularly difficult, and it seemed like a premium was put on my fit with the "office culture".

Hiring was a PAIN. I was offered the job in June, and didn't start until the following February due to background investigation and a candidate with veteran's preference challenging my hiring. If you are trying to get hired for a job with a TS clearance, you may be waiting a long time. Process was also very opaque - they were really not able or willing to tell me anything other than "wait a bit longer, we will definitely bring you on, just be patient". To their credit, they did come through in the end.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all pretty expected - most had to do with my graduate research.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable (defined by PMF program)

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

I initially filled out the online application. I was later contacted by a bureau coordinator and did a phone interview. She asked me about my strengths, weaknesses and why I wanted to work at State. Nothing out of the ordinary

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bay City, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bay City, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Department of State in April 2013.

Emailed resume, called in for interview, sent on fingerprinting and drug testing, interviewed and called back week later to see if I would like the job.

Interview Questions
    Management asked if I would except the position at a certain amount of money with no benefits, there was no negotiation.

Information Technology Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at US Department of State.

USA Jobs is the only process for all federal employment. You must make the cert by being evaluated as the top candidate from all of the other submissions in order for your information to passed on to the next phase and finally the hiring manager.

Dependent on your hiring manager and their ability to negotiate with HR on your behalf.

Intern Interview

Applied online, you can track your progress and see how far you go into the process.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

A cumbersome process in the 1990s-2000s, involving written exams at testing centers - now all online. The key is the oral interview. The key to being successful at the oral interview is to show that you can work in a group setting to accomplish a shared objective. Do not try to 'win', or you will lose. Find consensus.

Interview Questions
    • What is a tense situation that you managed to overcome in a work environment and how?   View Answer
    As a government, there is little room for negotiation, but there is some (salary - based on experience). Take advantage of it because once you join it becomes very rigid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at US Department of State in November 2012.

I was a Presidential Management Fellowship Finalist and competed with other Finalists for this job. I was recruited directly by the agency.

Interview Questions
    • Describe you experience planning events and working with difficult people.   View Answer
    As a PMF, the program is highly regulated and base salary is set for you (no wiggle room).

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of State in July 2009.

I came in through a fellowship program after grad school. Applied to fellowship online, then applied to State online. Had several phone interviews before was hired. Entire process took about a year. Security clearance took four months.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - State pays all of its incoming fellows in my program the same amount.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

The Hiring process was quick. However, the security clearance took awhile.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question. They all pertained to the position and my availability.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at US Department of State in April 2013.

Applied through USAjobs. Received a request for phone interview from the office a few months later. No in person interview occurred, although it is possible this varies depending on your previous background.

Interview Questions
    • Provide a summary of a recent research topic you have worked on.   Answer Question