US Department of State

Updated Feb 4, 2015
Updated Feb 4, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Applied online, you can track your progress and see how far you go into the process.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

A cumbersome process in the 1990s-2000s, involving written exams at testing centers - now all online. The key is the oral interview. The key to being successful at the oral interview is to show that you can work in a group setting to accomplish a shared objective. Do not try to 'win', or you will lose. Find consensus.

Interview Questions
    • What is a tense situation that you managed to overcome in a work environment and how?   View Answer
    As a government, there is little room for negotiation, but there is some (salary - based on experience). Take advantage of it because once you join it becomes very rigid.

Public Affairs Officer Intern Interview

interviewed at US Department of State in December 2013.

Applied online through USA Jobs website and was contacted via email by the post after about a month. The interview process was quite easy and mostly had questions regarding my availability and previous experience. I was able to ask many questions about what type of work I would be doing.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

The Hiring process was quick. However, the security clearance took awhile.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question. They all pertained to the position and my availability.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Long application process, but no interview required. My references weren't contacted either. I don't know if this is typical for the State Department or specific to my bureau, but I submitted my application at the beginning of November and had an internship offer by mid-December.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

It's a test -- and it's changed since I've come in, so I can't give much info.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions are easy if you aren't an idiot.   Answer Question
    None

IT Specialist Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in August 2013.

There are a ton of ways to enter in to Department of State.

It was Federal interview process with a guaranteed placement.

Special Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at US Department of State.

a series of tests and interviews to assess skills, personality and suitability.

this is a govenrment job, no negotiation.

Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in July 2013.

The interview process was very interesting. I had to travel to Washington DC on my own dime, find my own lodging, etc. The interview itself consisted of 4 phases that take about 3-4 hours to complete. I cannot go into detail (they make you sign a paper saying that you cannot disclose this type of information) but I can say that the interview was pretty free flowing. By that, I mean that there was little time of rest in between phases. You will have to explain your experience, verbally and on paper, you will get cross checked, you will be asked about international relations, foreign policy and current events, and you will be asked about security matters. The hardest part, beside the interview itself is the written test that you have to complete. You have 45 minutes to complete a 5 paragraph essay based on the information that the provide you with. It has to be official and relevant to the scenario that's been given to you. Written competency has to be sharp because of the time limit. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot disclose that information, but I can say that your knowledge of government operations, functions and international relations as well as security operations, and integrating all of these will be required.   Answer Question
    It was a conditional offer of employment based on my background investigation. If everything clears, then you get put on a waiting list called the register with a ranking, based on that ranking you will get assigned to a Special Agent class.

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Very based on who you know and on getting referred by an insider.

Interview Questions
    • "Imagine you arrive at the office and learn of a major natural disaster, refugees are crossing international borders, people are dying, etc., etc. - what do you do?"   View Answer
    No negotiation at all. It was a take it or leave it offer, with the HR person stating out loud that he has a stack of 500 other qualified people he can call next if I don't like the offered salary.