US Department of State

69 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Information Technology Specialist Interview

Information Technology Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview Details – USA Jobs is the only process for all federal employment. You must make the cert by being evaluated as the top candidate from all of the other submissions in order for your information to passed on to the next phase and finally the hiring manager.

Negotiation Details – Dependent on your hiring manager and their ability to negotiate with HR on your behalf.

Interviewed at US Department of State

Interview Details – Applied online, you can track your progress and see how far you go into the process.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Foreign Service Officer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview Details – A cumbersome process in the 1990s-2000s, involving written exams at testing centers - now all online. The key is the oral interview. The key to being successful at the oral interview is to show that you can work in a group setting to accomplish a shared objective. Do not try to 'win', or you will lose. Find consensus.

Interview Question – What is a tense situation that you managed to overcome in a work environment and how?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As a government, there is little room for negotiation, but there is some (salary - based on experience). Take advantage of it because once you join it becomes very rigid.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Foreign Affairs Officer
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at US Department of State in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was a Presidential Management Fellowship Finalist and competed with other Finalists for this job. I was recruited directly by the agency.

Interview Question – Describe you experience planning events and working with difficult people.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – As a PMF, the program is highly regulated and base salary is set for you (no wiggle room).

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Foreign Affairs Officer

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of State in July 2009.

Interview Details – I came in through a fellowship program after grad school. Applied to fellowship online, then applied to State online. Had several phone interviews before was hired. Entire process took about a year. Security clearance took four months.

Interview Question – All questions were standard, no surprises.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - State pays all of its incoming fellows in my program the same amount.

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of State.

Interview Details – The Hiring process was quick. However, the security clearance took awhile.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected question. They all pertained to the position and my availability.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at US Department of State in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through USAjobs. Received a request for phone interview from the office a few months later. No in person interview occurred, although it is possible this varies depending on your previous background.

Interview Question – Provide a summary of a recent research topic you have worked on.   Answer Question

Interviewed at US Department of State

Interview Details – Long application process, but no interview required. My references weren't contacted either. I don't know if this is typical for the State Department or specific to my bureau, but I submitted my application at the beginning of November and had an internship offer by mid-December.

English Language Fellow Interview

English Language Fellow
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2011.

Interview Details – The process starts with an interview and then you are put into a pool of job seekers according to regions setup by the government. There is an effort to accommodate a request but in the end you may be placed in an entirely different area than you requested. There is a great deal of paperwork. Once it is complete you are scheduled for an orientation held in Washington DC. The ticket is purchased and usually the job will begin about Sept. 1.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult part of teaching for you. What has been your greatest challenge living abroad.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I think that was the most difficult part because they are not very good at providing information on the financial consequences of your decision to work for them. Example, you are not aware that your tax status will be that of an contractor and you will be taxed at a much higher rate than if you work abroad for a foreign university.

You are NOT told that if you do not stay with your current assignment then you must reapply all over again. Basically, whatever you decide you stay two years OR you risk no job at all.

Facility Manager Interview

Facility Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2009.

Interview Details – Apply online, electronic resume analysis, selection, interview/exam, selection.

Interview Question – Questions outside of area of expertise   View Answer