US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Interview

Long application process, but no interview required. My references weren't contacted either. I don't know if this is typical for the State Department or specific to my bureau, but I submitted my application at the beginning of November and had an internship offer by mid-December.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Interview

It's a test -- and it's changed since I've come in, so I can't give much info.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions are easy if you aren't an idiot.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

IT Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in August 2013.

Interview

There are a ton of ways to enter in to Department of State.

Negotiation

It was Federal interview process with a guaranteed placement.

Special Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at US Department of State.

Interview

a series of tests and interviews to assess skills, personality and suitability.

Negotiation

this is a govenrment job, no negotiation.

Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State (Arlington, VA) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very interesting. I had to travel to Washington DC on my own dime, find my own lodging, etc. The interview itself consisted of 4 phases that take about 3-4 hours to complete. I cannot go into detail (they make you sign a paper saying that you cannot disclose this type of information) but I can say that the interview was pretty free flowing. By that, I mean that there was little time of rest in between phases. You will have to explain your experience, verbally and on paper, you will get cross checked, you will be asked about international relations, foreign policy and current events, and you will be asked about security matters. The hardest part, beside the interview itself is the written test that you have to complete. You have 45 minutes to complete a 5 paragraph essay based on the information that the provide you with. It has to be official and relevant to the scenario that's been given to you. Written competency has to be sharp because of the time limit. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• I cannot disclose that information, but I can say that your knowledge of government operations, functions and international relations as well as security operations, and integrating all of these will be required.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a conditional offer of employment based on my background investigation. If everything clears, then you get put on a waiting list called the register with a ranking, based on that ranking you will get assigned to a Special Agent class.

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Interview

Very based on who you know and on getting referred by an insider.

Interview Questions

• "Imagine you arrive at the office and learn of a major natural disaster, refugees are crossing international borders, people are dying, etc., etc. - what do you do?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation at all. It was a take it or leave it offer, with the HR person stating out loud that he has a stack of 500 other qualified people he can call next if I don't like the offered salary.

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in June 2013.

Interview

All day assessment meant to be a challenge. Group exercise was straight forward but had people who were unyielding--I failed. Case management was just like one from packet--long with a twist towards the end--I passed. Interview is straight forward exactly and I mean exactly what the packet says is going to happen

Passport Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State (San Francisco, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

In person interview as first step

Interview Questions

• How would I deal with doing a redundant mind numbing task for hours at a time?   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bay City, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of State (Bay City, MI) in April 2013.

Interview

Emailed resume, called in for interview, sent on fingerprinting and drug testing, interviewed and called back week later to see if I would like the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Management asked if I would except the position at a certain amount of money with no benefits, there was no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied through USAjobs. Received a request for phone interview from the office a few months later. No in person interview occurred, although it is possible this varies depending on your previous background.

Interview Questions

• Provide a summary of a recent research topic you have worked on.   Answer Question