US Department of State

3.2

Passport Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in April 2013.

In person interview as first step

Interview Questions
    • How would I deal with doing a redundant mind numbing task for hours at a time?   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bay City, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bay City, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of State in April 2013.

Emailed resume, called in for interview, sent on fingerprinting and drug testing, interviewed and called back week later to see if I would like the job.

Interview Questions
    Management asked if I would except the position at a certain amount of money with no benefits, there was no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in April 2013.

Applied through USAjobs. Received a request for phone interview from the office a few months later. No in person interview occurred, although it is possible this varies depending on your previous background.

Interview Questions
    • Provide a summary of a recent research topic you have worked on.   Answer Question

FSO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in March 2013.

Completed written test, passed the personal narratives, and was invited to the full-day oral assessments (OA). OA was a true experience that cannot be replicated outside of the testing environment.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavior based interview questions for the SI portion. The Group Exercise was challenging due to the limited time and cramped spaces to work.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of State.

1 phone interview: relatively easy, mostly behavioral and concerning my thoughts/opinions about current events.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to explain succinctly the events that were currently going on in the Middle East.   Answer Question

Foreign Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

The hiring process is long and tedious. The interview process takes an entire day, which includes a considerable of waiting. You are interviewed by two or three people who tell you that they have to remain "stone-faced", so as not to display a personal interest in you.

Interview Questions
    • How have you persuaded a group of people, many of whom you do not know, to change their current mindset to one that is similar to yours?   Answer Question
    There is no salary negotiation. You are paid according to the Foreign Service pay scale. Benefits and most importantly, the start date, is not negotiable, and nor are they even mentioned.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

Very tedious online application - you need to submit your resume on top of filling in your resume information into their own specific resume builder. You will also submit a statement of purpose, and this is very important. Moreover, you need to give detailed info for clearance.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview Qs: tell us a time you had to deal with a difficult person. Please introduce yourself in the foreign language you are studying.   Answer Question
    Through email - very understanding - but they want full time interns. The minimum is 10 weeks and maximum is 14 weeks. Usually 8:30am to 5pm. Need strong writing and analytical skills.

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at US Department of State in November 2012.

I was a Presidential Management Fellowship Finalist and competed with other Finalists for this job. I was recruited directly by the agency.

Interview Questions
    • Describe you experience planning events and working with difficult people.   View Answer
    As a PMF, the program is highly regulated and base salary is set for you (no wiggle room).

Summer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in November 2012.

The most difficult part of the application process was waiting for the background check to clear. Other than that the interview process was relatively simple. I applied online in September and was emailed in November for an interview (I went to school in the UK full time, normally the interviewer would cold call an applicant). Less than a week later I was notified that I was the primary candidate, someone was also chosen as a secondary candidate but would only get the position if I did not get security clearance. In May, I had a State Department representative meet me at my school to interview me about my background information. Within the month I had passed the background check and was cleared to work for the US Department of State!

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a time when you multi-tasked.   View Answer

Public Diplomacy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in August 2012.

Given the size of the organization, the interview will be based on what Bureau and office you have applied for. I interviewed for both a regional and functional Bureau. The difficulty of the interviews was comparable, and I felt it was much more relaxed than expected. I think the most important thing for State is to gauge your ability to act diplomatically under stress, verbal and written communication skills, and genuine interest in the area/function of the Bureau you're applying for. I would say that after having interned there both in person and virtually, the people there are generally relaxed, so it's much better to let your personality show instead of being overly formal.