US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.2

Intern Interview

Long application process, but no interview required. My references weren't contacted either. I don't know if this is typical for the State Department or specific to my bureau, but I submitted my application at the beginning of November and had an internship offer by mid-December.

English Language Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2011.

The process starts with an interview and then you are put into a pool of job seekers according to regions setup by the government. There is an effort to accommodate a request but in the end you may be placed in an entirely different area than you requested. There is a great deal of paperwork. Once it is complete you are scheduled for an orientation held in Washington DC. The ticket is purchased and usually the job will begin about Sept. 1.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult part of teaching for you. What has been your greatest challenge living abroad.   Answer Question
    I think that was the most difficult part because they are not very good at providing information on the financial consequences of your decision to work for them. Example, you are not aware that your tax status will be that of an contractor and you will be taxed at a much higher rate than if you work abroad for a foreign university.

You are NOT told that if you do not stay with your current assignment then you must reapply all over again. Basically, whatever you decide you stay two years OR you risk no job at all.

Facility Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2009.

Apply online, electronic resume analysis, selection, interview/exam, selection.

Interview Questions
    • Questions outside of area of expertise   View Answer
    None

Foreign Service Officer Interview

It's a test -- and it's changed since I've come in, so I can't give much info.

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions are easy if you aren't an idiot.   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of State in December 2009.

The hiring process is driven by a series of tests. First is a written test (FSOT), which assesses candidates' general knowledge and communication skills. If successful, the candidate moves on to an Oral Assessment, which consists of a group exercise, a written case study, and a structured interview, Finally, the successful candidate is subjected to a suitability review, a health clearance, and a security clearance. Candidates are given offers of employment on a space-available basis, with those with the highest scores in the Oral Assessment reviving preference.

Interview Questions
    • Hypothetical questions concerning difficult situations that might occur at a U.S. Embassy require candidates to express good judgement while thinking on their feet.   Answer Question

Special Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took a year or more - interviewed at US Department of State.

a series of tests and interviews to assess skills, personality and suitability.

this is a govenrment job, no negotiation.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 10 months - interviewed at US Department of State in June 2013.

All day assessment meant to be a challenge. Group exercise was straight forward but had people who were unyielding--I failed. Case management was just like one from packet--long with a twist towards the end--I passed. Interview is straight forward exactly and I mean exactly what the packet says is going to happen

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Very based on who you know and on getting referred by an insider.

Interview Questions
    • "Imagine you arrive at the office and learn of a major natural disaster, refugees are crossing international borders, people are dying, etc., etc. - what do you do?"   View Answer
    No negotiation at all. It was a take it or leave it offer, with the HR person stating out loud that he has a stack of 500 other qualified people he can call next if I don't like the offered salary.

Undergraduate/Graduate Internships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of State in December 2010.

Internship interviews are very generic. More informational in nature. I've had two internship experiences and both calls are impromptu, with individuals from your potential office briefly discussing the basic functions of their particular office and asking questions pertaining to your functional understanding of the work.

Interview Questions
    • One of my internships was in the Arms Control Bureau - my interviewer asked me a specific question pertaining an on-going treaty negotiation and if I had an idea of which particular country on the delegation was stalling negotiation efforts.   Answer Question
    Be familiar with the bureaus/consulates that you've selected in your internship application! Both calls for me were unscheduled, so I had no time to prep for the specific office that I spoke with. Having a general understanding of the bureau is typically plenty to get you by.

FSO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of State in March 2013.

Completed written test, passed the personal narratives, and was invited to the full-day oral assessments (OA). OA was a true experience that cannot be replicated outside of the testing environment.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavior based interview questions for the SI portion. The Group Exercise was challenging due to the limited time and cramped spaces to work.   Answer Question