US Department of State

Updated Jan 19, 2015

3.2

Consular Adjudicator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in June 2012.

I found a position on USAJOBS.gov. I applied, passed an initial stage, and then passed an initial language stage. Afterwards, I was told to prepare the e-QIP security clearance application and flew to Washington DC for an interview. The entire process took 6 months.

The interview actually takes up about an entire day. The morning section consisted of tests, then a formal interview. Once I got the results, I came in for the afternoon for the language test. After I passed that section, I had to complete the rest of the security protocols.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions revolve around the skillset that the position required. There were no out-of-the-blue questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase as I was only offered a conditional offer. A complete offer was only after a successful security clearance and suitability phase which I did not pass.

Passport Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of State in March 2012.

Submitted application via usajobs.com. Was contacted by email a month later to set up a phone interview. The first interview was pretty standard. They wanted to see if I had the skills to adjudicate, make decisions and to be meticulous. A few weeks later I had a second interview that was more of the same. I was offered the job a week later. Once this was done I was sent a hireling package. This position requires a high risk public trust screening, this is similar to a security clearance. They went ten years back on law and conducted a credit check. The most important thing to this check is being completely honest. This number one thing that will cause you problems and takes the longest time. It took four months from accepting the position to getting to my start date.

Interview Questions
    • I really can't remember. I do remember that they were not impressed with prior leadership positions since this is an entry level position.   Answer Question
    No. This is a GS position and you fall under that scale

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of State in March 2012.

Apply through USA Jobs. Phone Interview and possible face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions
    It depends on your education and experience. Salary is not negotiated. There is a GS pay scale that employees fall into.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosslyn, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rosslyn, VA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in January 2012.

Easy, learned about supervisor's background

Program Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in November 2011.

Complicated and difficult. Really the only way to currently get hired and pass the certification process is to be a U.S. Veteran. Using USAJobs.gov is also not easy. Make sure to put as much detail as possible in your online resume and answer each question with as high a possible rating as you can (stretching the truth is recommended but don't lie).

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find any of the questions difficult or unexpected. I was surprised the person who interviewed didn't know more about the technical field they were interviewing me for.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Offer was made and that was it. The U.S. Government's Civil Servant salary is publicly available.

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in October 2011.

First took the computer based "written" test, which was three sections of multiple choice and a writing section. Second, submitted 6 personal narrative questions that pertained to leadership, initiative, and other desirable qualities. Final round is a day-long interview consisting of an interview, memo-writing, and a group session where you, along with a handful of other applicants, discuss the merits of a particular project while the interviewers monitor you.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in September 2011.

Visit USAGov site to determine if there are any openings. If so, the job seeker will need to submit an online application. If the application is approved, the job seeker will be invited for a comprehensive test/interview. If all goes well, a security background investigation and medical physical will also be required before any formal job offer is made

Interview Questions
    • The questions range from: history, politics, current events, to situational scenarios where the applicant is given the opportunity to explain how they reacted to certain events. Scenarios may be driven by the specialty desired or general experience.   Answer Question
    Very automated (with set parameters) and based on one's experience level.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of State in August 2011.

The interviewer called me and we spoke, in detail, about the position and my career goals. He then invited me to come in for an interview with a panel of three people (one Foreign Affairs Officer, one foreign service office and one Public Affairs officer). The interview lasted about an hour and consisted of a range of questions from my background, to work experience to Secretary Clinton's diplomacy style. Also, make sure to ask for their business cards at the end of your interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation was possible.

Entry Level Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of State in June 2011.

Complex hiring process and testing

English Language Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of State in May 2011.

The process starts with an interview and then you are put into a pool of job seekers according to regions setup by the government. There is an effort to accommodate a request but in the end you may be placed in an entirely different area than you requested. There is a great deal of paperwork. Once it is complete you are scheduled for an orientation held in Washington DC. The ticket is purchased and usually the job will begin about Sept. 1.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult part of teaching for you. What has been your greatest challenge living abroad.   Answer Question
    I think that was the most difficult part because they are not very good at providing information on the financial consequences of your decision to work for them. Example, you are not aware that your tax status will be that of an contractor and you will be taxed at a much higher rate than if you work abroad for a foreign university.

You are NOT told that if you do not stay with your current assignment then you must reapply all over again. Basically, whatever you decide you stay two years OR you risk no job at all.