US Department of State Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

3.2

Entry Level Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Department of State in June 2011.

Complex hiring process and testing

English Language Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2011.

The process starts with an interview and then you are put into a pool of job seekers according to regions setup by the government. There is an effort to accommodate a request but in the end you may be placed in an entirely different area than you requested. There is a great deal of paperwork. Once it is complete you are scheduled for an orientation held in Washington DC. The ticket is purchased and usually the job will begin about Sept. 1.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult part of teaching for you. What has been your greatest challenge living abroad.   Answer Question
    I think that was the most difficult part because they are not very good at providing information on the financial consequences of your decision to work for them. Example, you are not aware that your tax status will be that of an contractor and you will be taxed at a much higher rate than if you work abroad for a foreign university.

You are NOT told that if you do not stay with your current assignment then you must reapply all over again. Basically, whatever you decide you stay two years OR you risk no job at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of State in April 2011.

Online application followed by sitting for the Foreign Service Test. The test is a comprehensive test that tests everything from US Political and Government history to Logic, to Interpersonal Skills. Following the test there are a series of interviews. You have a group interview where you solve problems as if you were in the embassy as well as a personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • They were all typical questions that you find in an interview.   Answer Question

Undergraduate/Graduate Internships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of State in December 2010.

Internship interviews are very generic. More informational in nature. I've had two internship experiences and both calls are impromptu, with individuals from your potential office briefly discussing the basic functions of their particular office and asking questions pertaining to your functional understanding of the work.

Interview Questions
    • One of my internships was in the Arms Control Bureau - my interviewer asked me a specific question pertaining an on-going treaty negotiation and if I had an idea of which particular country on the delegation was stalling negotiation efforts.   Answer Question
    Be familiar with the bureaus/consulates that you've selected in your internship application! Both calls for me were unscheduled, so I had no time to prep for the specific office that I spoke with. Having a general understanding of the bureau is typically plenty to get you by.

Chief Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at US Department of State in October 2010.

Must be a veteran! Otherwise you won't be considered for employment. The "cert" requires you to have been a veteran. Ten points guarantees you a job, having served in a war zone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2010.

First 1/3 of the day was a group exercise (5 people) where you demonstrated your negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills; Second 1/3 of the day was a 2 on 1 interview; Last 1/3 of the day was a 90 min. memo-writing exercise.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2010.

Pretty standard interview process, they asked about my background from my resume (they'd read it, which is a plus compared to a lot of other places). The real hang-up was that after I'd gotten the offer my paperwork got lost in HR and it was a year before they tracked it down (nobody seemed to know who to call, and I was stuck on the outside).

Logistics Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of State in May 2010.

Once your resume passed the USA job process, you are referred, than called for an interview and possible written testing. Priority is given to certain candidates categories, if you are not a vet, you will need to wait for a long time if your application is submitted to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario questions, nothing different than what you would expect for this position   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation

US Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of State in March 2010.

9-10 month process, but once you schedule your oral assessment test, it is approximately a 3-4 month process. Group exercise stresses cooperation and being able to follow directions and complete the task on time. Case management is relatively difficult, exercise stresses time management and ability to wade through lots of irrelevant material and boil the facts down. Individual interview fairly standard, probably the easiest part.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a foreign service officer   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of State in December 2009.

The hiring process is driven by a series of tests. First is a written test (FSOT), which assesses candidates' general knowledge and communication skills. If successful, the candidate moves on to an Oral Assessment, which consists of a group exercise, a written case study, and a structured interview, Finally, the successful candidate is subjected to a suitability review, a health clearance, and a security clearance. Candidates are given offers of employment on a space-available basis, with those with the highest scores in the Oral Assessment reviving preference.

Interview Questions
    • Hypothetical questions concerning difficult situations that might occur at a U.S. Embassy require candidates to express good judgement while thinking on their feet.   Answer Question