US Department of State

3.5

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Information Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of State in June 2014.

Lengthy interview and they dont get to tell you where you went wrong. Funny that they decide a pass or fail, and just hand you a letter....worst kind of interview.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me why I wanted the job and why I feel suited for the position. I wouldn't want the job if I had not taken the time to avail myself for the interview!!   View Answer

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

Interviewed through PMF program process. Interview was with three members of the hiring office and questions were a mix of testing technical knowledge and gauging my ability to fit in with the rest of the team. Questions were not particularly difficult, and it seemed like a premium was put on my fit with the "office culture".

Hiring was a PAIN. I was offered the job in June, and didn't start until the following February due to background investigation and a candidate with veteran's preference challenging my hiring. If you are trying to get hired for a job with a TS clearance, you may be waiting a long time. Process was also very opaque - they were really not able or willing to tell me anything other than "wait a bit longer, we will definitely bring you on, just be patient". To their credit, they did come through in the end.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all pretty expected - most had to do with my graduate research.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable (defined by PMF program)

Foreign Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

A cumbersome process in the 1990s-2000s, involving written exams at testing centers - now all online. The key is the oral interview. The key to being successful at the oral interview is to show that you can work in a group setting to accomplish a shared objective. Do not try to 'win', or you will lose. Find consensus.

Interview Questions
    • What is a tense situation that you managed to overcome in a work environment and how?   View Answer
    As a government, there is little room for negotiation, but there is some (salary - based on experience). Take advantage of it because once you join it becomes very rigid.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in April 2013.

Applied through USAjobs. Received a request for phone interview from the office a few months later. No in person interview occurred, although it is possible this varies depending on your previous background.

Interview Questions
    • Provide a summary of a recent research topic you have worked on.   Answer Question

FSO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in March 2013.

Completed written test, passed the personal narratives, and was invited to the full-day oral assessments (OA). OA was a true experience that cannot be replicated outside of the testing environment.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavior based interview questions for the SI portion. The Group Exercise was challenging due to the limited time and cramped spaces to work.   Answer Question

Foreign Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

The hiring process is long and tedious. The interview process takes an entire day, which includes a considerable of waiting. You are interviewed by two or three people who tell you that they have to remain "stone-faced", so as not to display a personal interest in you.

Interview Questions
    • How have you persuaded a group of people, many of whom you do not know, to change their current mindset to one that is similar to yours?   Answer Question
    There is no salary negotiation. You are paid according to the Foreign Service pay scale. Benefits and most importantly, the start date, is not negotiable, and nor are they even mentioned.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State.

Very tedious online application - you need to submit your resume on top of filling in your resume information into their own specific resume builder. You will also submit a statement of purpose, and this is very important. Moreover, you need to give detailed info for clearance.

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview Qs: tell us a time you had to deal with a difficult person. Please introduce yourself in the foreign language you are studying.   Answer Question
    Through email - very understanding - but they want full time interns. The minimum is 10 weeks and maximum is 14 weeks. Usually 8:30am to 5pm. Need strong writing and analytical skills.

Foreign Affairs Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at US Department of State in November 2012.

I was a Presidential Management Fellowship Finalist and competed with other Finalists for this job. I was recruited directly by the agency.

Interview Questions
    • Describe you experience planning events and working with difficult people.   View Answer
    As a PMF, the program is highly regulated and base salary is set for you (no wiggle room).

Public Diplomacy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in August 2012.

Given the size of the organization, the interview will be based on what Bureau and office you have applied for. I interviewed for both a regional and functional Bureau. The difficulty of the interviews was comparable, and I felt it was much more relaxed than expected. I think the most important thing for State is to gauge your ability to act diplomatically under stress, verbal and written communication skills, and genuine interest in the area/function of the Bureau you're applying for. I would say that after having interned there both in person and virtually, the people there are generally relaxed, so it's much better to let your personality show instead of being overly formal.

Consular Adjudicator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of State in June 2012.

I found a position on USAJOBS.gov. I applied, passed an initial stage, and then passed an initial language stage. Afterwards, I was told to prepare the e-QIP security clearance application and flew to Washington DC for an interview. The entire process took 6 months.

The interview actually takes up about an entire day. The morning section consisted of tests, then a formal interview. Once I got the results, I came in for the afternoon for the language test. After I passed that section, I had to complete the rest of the security protocols.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions revolve around the skillset that the position required. There were no out-of-the-blue questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase as I was only offered a conditional offer. A complete offer was only after a successful security clearance and suitability phase which I did not pass.