US Department of Transportation

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Analyst Interview

Interviewed at US Department of Transportation

Interview Details – Hiring process is usually through the US government computer jobsite. It's a fairly lengthy application process... but be as specific as you can regarding experience. Interviews vary from department to department usually with an office manager and one of his assistants. The people are friendly and there are no "trick" questions.

Interview Question – Questions are general "interview" questions such as...What are your strengths/weaknesses, Once you're interviewed the decision to hire is usually in about a month or less.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in May 2009.

Interview Details – USA Jobs application, phone interview, flown to DC for interview, o
Fifer made by phone and mail in aweek

Interview Question – Do not remember a hard question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated maximum signing bonus but starting salary grade and level was in negotiable

Engineering Technician Interview

Providence, RI

I applied through college or university and the process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in April 2010.

Interview Details – Intensive Review Board with multiple call back interviews from different groups within organization. However upon hire, I worked with others in same hiring group that needed training to use email.

Interview Question – 3rd Interview - I was offered if I had any questions. I questioned the inspection process for materials.This was head-line news as an entire section of a building at the Airport had collapsed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They do not pay well. there is no negotiation. It is a Union negotiated salary.

Engineering Intern Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Transportation.

Interview Details – They were really precise on hard and soft skills. Going straight to the point, the interview was a panel with 3 engineers, and I receive answer of acceptance between 1-2 days after the interview.

Interview Question – All questions made were straight foward.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in October 2010.

Interview Details – Panel of three. Several open questions similar to what was in the job description opening. All took notes. They gave a written test at the end of the interview and had 30 minutes to provide economic advice on a regulatory scenario. Got a call a few weeks after and accepted. They were very flexible on starting date.

Interview Question – Written test was the hardest part.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much - entry salary fixed by regulation.

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Technician Intern Interview

Fairbanks, AK

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in May 2011.

Interview Details – Very short, not difficult

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, not sure if that was an option.

Construction Inspector Interview

Syracuse, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in March 2012.

Interview Details – as any job interview somebody from the department call me to set up a schedule for interview, after the finding the right date I tried to learn more about the department and what this organization about and prepared my self for the day of my interview. In the day of my interview I dressed nicely and got there about 20 minutes before schedule time. After interview and in the same day I sent the thank you letter to the people who interviewed me. Then after 3 weeks somebody from human resources called me to send them some paper work for forther investigation and then I received a call to letting me know if I still intersted for the position.

Interview Question – what is your weekneses ?   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in January 2009.

Interview Details – Quick response from my online submission. Personal phone interview that focused on fit and basic resume walk through, followed by another more formal application to the DC headquarters. Very pleasant manager for the phone interview and no response to inform me of negative decision. Their stated hiring preference was on hiring long-term "lifer" employees to replace aging workforce.

Interview Question – Would you consider staying here for 10-20 years?   Answer Question

Safety Defects Engineer Interview

Safety Defects Engineer
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in December 2009.

Interview Details – 1:1 Couple hours. much of behavioral questions and couple technical questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for DOT?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.
salary was fixed

Outreach and Education Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in January 2009.

Interview Details – Extremely lengthy due to bureaucracy.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for US Department of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Transportation interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Transportation employees and interview candidates.