US Department of Transportation

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Updated Jul 21, 2014

2.8

Program Analyst Interview

Hiring process is usually through the US government computer jobsite. It's a fairly lengthy application process... but be as specific as you can regarding experience. Interviews vary from department to department usually with an office manager and one of his assistants. The people are friendly and there are no "trick" questions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are general "interview" questions such as...What are your strengths/weaknesses, Once you're interviewed the decision to hire is usually in about a month or less.   Answer Question

Engineer Technician Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairbanks, AK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairbanks, AK

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Department of Transportation in May 2011.

Very short, not difficult

Did not negotiate, not sure if that was an option.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Transportation in May 2009.

USA Jobs application, phone interview, flown to DC for interview, o
    Fifer made by phone and mail in aweek

Interview Questions
    Negotiated maximum signing bonus but starting salary grade and level was in negotiable

Correspondence Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation in February 2014.

I applied for this job in January and received email confirmation mid-January that I was a potential match. Early February, I received a one panel-style interview with 3 supervisors and HR liaison. I was asked questions on my experience and work style (level of initiative, especially) with specific examples and was told what kind of work I would be doing if I received the job. Each member on the panel took turns asking questions and they were friendly (though I could tell they had work to do elsewhere). About a month later, with no word back, I emailed the HR Liaison to ask about my application and she said I was in the security review/background check process. I went to do my fingerprints in early March. I got word that I was hired early April and came for orientation mid-April. Although I was told I would get an offer letter, I had to ask HR in person during orientation for a copy of it. I did not receive an actual list of tasks that encompass my position until late May.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation since this is a federal job with a specified GS level (at Tier 1). This job was advertised and confirmed during interview as a position with limited to no advancement opportunities.

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation in November 2012.

Managers should refrain from asking employees personal questions during an interview. Questions should be structured based on knowledge, skills, abilities, and job description. Allow enough time for the interview so that it doesn't feel rushed. If there's a test involved, make sure that everything has been setup before hand and not during the interview or at the last minute.

The negotiation was through a contracting agency.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation.

They were really precise on hard and soft skills. Going straight to the point, the interview was a panel with 3 engineers, and I receive answer of acceptance between 1-2 days after the interview.

Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation in April 2010.

Intensive Review Board with multiple call back interviews from different groups within organization. However upon hire, I worked with others in same hiring group that needed training to use email.

Interview Questions
    • 3rd Interview - I was offered if I had any questions. I questioned the inspection process for materials.This was head-line news as an entire section of a building at the Airport had collapsed.   View Answer
    They do not pay well. there is no negotiation. It is a Union negotiated salary.

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation in January 2008.

The hiring process was very long. I interviewed two different times. It was a panel interview and then a one-on-one. Asked all about the budget process.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate.

Outreach and Education Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Transportation in January 2009.

Extremely lengthy due to bureaucracy.

Safety Defects Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Transportation in December 2009.

1:1 Couple hours. much of behavioral questions and couple technical questions.

no negotiation.