US Department of Transportation

12 candidate interviews

Program Analyst Interview

Program Analyst

Interviewed at US Department of Transportation

Interview Details – Hiring process is usually through the US government computer jobsite. It's a fairly lengthy application process... but be as specific as you can regarding experience. Interviews vary from department to department usually with an office manager and one of his assistants. The people are friendly and there are no "trick" questions.

Interview Question – Questions are general "interview" questions such as...What are your strengths/weaknesses, Once you're interviewed the decision to hire is usually in about a month or less.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Technician Intern Interview

Engineer Technician Intern
Fairbanks, AK

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in May 2011.

Interview Details – Very short, not difficult

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate, not sure if that was an option.

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in May 2009.

Interview Details – USA Jobs application, phone interview, flown to DC for interview, o
Fifer made by phone and mail in aweek

Interview Question – Do not remember a hard question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated maximum signing bonus but starting salary grade and level was in negotiable

Correspondence Management Assistant Interview

Correspondence Management Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for this job in January and received email confirmation mid-January that I was a potential match. Early February, I received a one panel-style interview with 3 supervisors and HR liaison. I was asked questions on my experience and work style (level of initiative, especially) with specific examples and was told what kind of work I would be doing if I received the job. Each member on the panel took turns asking questions and they were friendly (though I could tell they had work to do elsewhere). About a month later, with no word back, I emailed the HR Liaison to ask about my application and she said I was in the security review/background check process. I went to do my fingerprints in early March. I got word that I was hired early April and came for orientation mid-April. Although I was told I would get an offer letter, I had to ask HR in person during orientation for a copy of it. I did not receive an actual list of tasks that encompass my position until late May.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation since this is a federal job with a specified GS level (at Tier 1). This job was advertised and confirmed during interview as a position with limited to no advancement opportunities.

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Transportation.

Interview Details – They were really precise on hard and soft skills. Going straight to the point, the interview was a panel with 3 engineers, and I receive answer of acceptance between 1-2 days after the interview.

Interview Question – All questions made were straight foward.   Answer Question

Engineering Technician Interview

Engineering Technician
Providence, RI

I applied through college or university and the process took 12 months - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in April 2010.

Interview Details – Intensive Review Board with multiple call back interviews from different groups within organization. However upon hire, I worked with others in same hiring group that needed training to use email.

Interview Question – 3rd Interview - I was offered if I had any questions. I questioned the inspection process for materials.This was head-line news as an entire section of a building at the Airport had collapsed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They do not pay well. there is no negotiation. It is a Union negotiated salary.

Budget Analyst Interview

Budget Analyst
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in January 2008.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very long. I interviewed two different times. It was a panel interview and then a one-on-one. Asked all about the budget process.

Interview Question – Asked about my Excel knowledge   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate.

Outreach and Education Interview

Outreach and Education
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in January 2009.

Interview Details – Extremely lengthy due to bureaucracy.

Interview Questions

Safety Defects Engineer Interview

Safety Defects Engineer
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in December 2009.

Interview Details – 1:1 Couple hours. much of behavioral questions and couple technical questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for DOT?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.
salary was fixed

Economist Interview

Economist
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Transportation in January 2009.

Interview Details – Quick response from my online submission. Personal phone interview that focused on fit and basic resume walk through, followed by another more formal application to the DC headquarters. Very pleasant manager for the phone interview and no response to inform me of negative decision. Their stated hiring preference was on hiring long-term "lifer" employees to replace aging workforce.

Interview Question – Would you consider staying here for 10-20 years?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for US Department of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Transportation interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Transportation employees and interview candidates.