US Department of Treasury Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.7

Domestic Finance Interview

Simple fit questions - wasn't too difficult. Asked about my weaknesses, my background in classes and why I was interested in economics. The people interviewing me were very friendly.

Program Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Treasury in August 2014.

The first interview was fairly easy. They explained what the department does. Then they asked questions like where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, greatest accomplishment and why, and what was my past work experience.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Treasury in April 2014.

I submitted my application through my school careers website and secondarily at USAJobs. While I initially wanted to serve in the Office of Economic Policy, my resume application was declined, but it was redirected to all other offices. Within a month, a manager from another office (who eventually became my immediate supervisory) contacted me via email and arraigned a phone interview. By the end of the phone interview we had scheduled a final interview for the week after, however, the offer for the final interview was rescinded two days later, as she called by to extend me the position.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate the start date and the end date, on the fly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Treasury.

The interview process was in-person but very casual.

Volunteer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Treasury.

I applied online through USA Jobs and was contacted a few weeks lated via email for a phone interview. I went through two rounds of phone interviews. The first was with one person (seemed like an administrative assistant) and the second was with two people, a manager and an employee.

Interview Questions
    • The first round was very straightforward. The second round had more difficult interview questions but none stood out as being ridiculously hard. A lot of them were just about my college experience and what I wanted to do in the future.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Unpaid internship.

Auditor Interview

Practice the interview in roleplays. Have good experience and technical qualifications such as a CPA and MBA to be competitive.

Interview Questions
    • Plan your case work and decision making ability in a case scenerio.   Answer Question

Program Officer Interview

Horrible

N/A.

Auditor Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Treasury.

I got my first and second round interview within 30 days of putting in my application, however my candidacy stalled when the agency put on an unofficial hiring freeze due to a continuing budget resolution in Congress. Treasury called me 6 months later to see if I was still interested.

Interview Questions
    • If someone where to write a biography about you, what would the title be and why?   Answer Question
    I was able to negiotate a salary 4 steps above the initial offer.

Summer Intern Interview

Originally applied for an office which had already filled all of its summer positions. My application was passed on to another office. They reached out to me. Went in for an hour long interview. Asked me to walk them through the macroeconomic situation facing a country of my choice. Then asked some technical questions and why I wanted to intern there.

Interview Questions
    • What would you expect the effect of an oil subsidy on an oil producing country's current account to be?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Treasury in August 2013.

A pretty short interview that went over my experience and education from my resume. Set up an interview through email and hear back in a week or so.

Interview Questions
    • What is one thing about you I couldn't find out from your resume.   Answer Question