US Department of Treasury

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.6

Summer Intern Interview

Originally applied for an office which had already filled all of its summer positions. My application was passed on to another office. They reached out to me. Went in for an hour long interview. Asked me to walk them through the macroeconomic situation facing a country of my choice. Then asked some technical questions and why I wanted to intern there.

Interview Questions
    • What would you expect the effect of an oil subsidy on an oil producing country's current account to be?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Treasury in August 2013.

A pretty short interview that went over my experience and education from my resume. Set up an interview through email and hear back in a week or so.

Interview Questions
    • What is one thing about you I couldn't find out from your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Treasury in April 2013.

Applied on USA Jobs in February. Got the call for the interview in late April.

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't difficult at all. Just asking about availability and about software applications with which I had familiarity.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Applied online for the position-took some time, but simple enough to follow. Application was done through USAJOBS.gov. Was then prompted by email to schedule a test at a testing site. The first part was a 75 multiple choice question exam on basic accounting/finance principles. If you pass that, you move onto a written exam. The multiple choice exam was not difficult, but if you have never taken an accounting course or much of finance (like me), you will definitely need to study the concepts that they give you in the topic list.

Interview Questions
    • For the multiple choice test, make sure you know formulas and how to solve basic things on an income/balance statement. There is math involved.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at US Department of Treasury in January 2013.

Applied online. Got a call from a program analyst to come for an interview. The interview lasted about an hour. We schmoozed about school projects and experiences. They told me the type of work I would be dealing with

Interview Questions
    • When you messed something up, what did you do about it.   Answer Question

Pressman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Treasury in December 2012.

Received a phone call and scheduled a interview.Was interviewed by a group of 4 people;which was very pleasant experience,no pressure.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty much about my experience with presses and tools.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Treasury in January 2012.

basic macroeconomic questions....what variables you have to look at for some issues...

Interview Questions
    • how to evaluate a bank? how to solve trade imbalance between china and us?   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holtsville, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holtsville, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Treasury in October 2010.

All based on online testing and experience. Nothing face to face until the final stages.

There is no negotiation phase.

Office of Financial Stability Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Treasury in April 2010.

I sent in an application in late March/early April. I was then contacted by phone in late April/early May. The phone interview was very straight forward. Just questions about my the experience I had listed on my resume and why I was interested in working for the Treasury. The interviewer (who later became my boss), then told me about what to expect while interning. The internships can easily become jobs. I had a coworker who had just graduated from college and by the end of the summer she was offered a fulltime job.

Interview Questions
    Like other government agencies, you get health benefits if you work there full time. As an intern, your transportation costs are covered. The start and end dates of your internship are also pretty flexible.

TARP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Treasury in March 2010.

Treasury's TARP program is really sloppy in conducting its interviews. I heard nothing about the status of my application for 2 1/2 months, then suddenly got a call to come in for a panel interview. I aced it, and the next thing I knew, my references (obligatory) were being checked without the courtesy of a heads-up. I received a call-back, performed well, followed up with thank you's and other efforts with no responses. Finally their HR department answered my questions and told me the position had been closed without hiring anyone. I spent hundreds of dollars in travel costs - for nothing and didn't receive the courtesy of responses. One interviewer who took me back to his office for another hour conversation claimed he didn't even remember meeting me!

Interview Questions
    • How my skills would apply to a position that hadn't even been fully defined   Answer Question