US Department of Treasury Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Treasury in January 2012.

basic macroeconomic questions....what variables you have to look at for some issues...

Interview Questions
    • how to evaluate a bank? how to solve trade imbalance between china and us?   Answer Question

Pressman Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of Treasury in December 2012.

Received a phone call and scheduled a interview.Was interviewed by a group of 4 people;which was very pleasant experience,no pressure.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty much about my experience with presses and tools.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Applied online for the position-took some time, but simple enough to follow. Application was done through USAJOBS.gov. Was then prompted by email to schedule a test at a testing site. The first part was a 75 multiple choice question exam on basic accounting/finance principles. If you pass that, you move onto a written exam. The multiple choice exam was not difficult, but if you have never taken an accounting course or much of finance (like me), you will definitely need to study the concepts that they give you in the topic list.

Interview Questions
    • For the multiple choice test, make sure you know formulas and how to solve basic things on an income/balance statement. There is math involved.   Answer Question

Office of Financial Stability Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Treasury in April 2010.

I sent in an application in late March/early April. I was then contacted by phone in late April/early May. The phone interview was very straight forward. Just questions about my the experience I had listed on my resume and why I was interested in working for the Treasury. The interviewer (who later became my boss), then told me about what to expect while interning. The internships can easily become jobs. I had a coworker who had just graduated from college and by the end of the summer she was offered a fulltime job.

Interview Questions
    Like other government agencies, you get health benefits if you work there full time. As an intern, your transportation costs are covered. The start and end dates of your internship are also pretty flexible.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Treasury in January 2010.

The interview was set up by a campus career services meeting. I was applying for an internship for the summer in the TFI division of the Treasury. She asked about my past internship experiences and how these positions made me a suitable candidate for this internship positions. She also asked why I had an interest in the Department and wanted to know about any regional expertise.

TARP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Treasury in March 2010.

Treasury's TARP program is really sloppy in conducting its interviews. I heard nothing about the status of my application for 2 1/2 months, then suddenly got a call to come in for a panel interview. I aced it, and the next thing I knew, my references (obligatory) were being checked without the courtesy of a heads-up. I received a call-back, performed well, followed up with thank you's and other efforts with no responses. Finally their HR department answered my questions and told me the position had been closed without hiring anyone. I spent hundreds of dollars in travel costs - for nothing and didn't receive the courtesy of responses. One interviewer who took me back to his office for another hour conversation claimed he didn't even remember meeting me!

Interview Questions
    • How my skills would apply to a position that hadn't even been fully defined   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Treasury in April 2009.

The college emailed current and former students that the Department of the US Treasury would be on campus one day. I am unaware of how many resumes were submitted but mine made the cut for an interview. There was a short dialogue by one individual stating what department in Treasury they represented, Student Loans, and broad strokes of what they handle. They also explained there would be a thorough background check, credit check and review on resumes. Everyone involved was very helpful and friendly. The most difficult part of any prospective employment with the federal government is the amount of time it takes to actually receive an offer. It can be up to six months depending on how many they need and how many make the cut to go on up the chain for background checks. Usually most people are either already working and just want a change or are students not yet graduated but will be by the time they finally make offers.

I made the second cut after interviewing. I was told what documents they needed, i.e. college transcript for further review. The question that stands out was "How would you handle a hostile caller?" Most questions were slanted on how to handle clients, students with stafford or other student loans.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you handle a hostile caller?"   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Treasury.

I responded to a job posting on my university career center page. I sent a cover letter and resume, and was contacted within the day to ask for a writing sample. After sending that, I was contacted the next day for a phone interview. On the phone, I was told I would be brought in for an in-person interview.

This was actually a round of interviews, as I met with 8 people in groups of 1 or 2. My first interview was very basic; what I'd done before, my goals for the next few years, etc. The next two interviews were technical - if given a certain question, how would I solve it? The interviewers wanted to see my thought processes and how I approached problem solving. After that, I had three more interviews, most of which were just like the first and were very straightforward.

I was contacted within two business days and told that I had the job. I then waited 10-12 days to hear from the HR department. It was about 5 weeks before I started working.

International Economist Graduate Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of Treasury.

Recruited and hired through school. Submitted one resume and then was considered for a wide range of positions within the department. Had two interviews for two different positions, but basically they were just interested in hiring me so they weren't really interviews. Pretty straightforward and rapid. The longest part was just waiting for security clearance.

Interview Questions
    • I did not receive any interview questions. We just talked about my skills   View Answer

Business Administration Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 10 months - interviewed at US Department of Treasury in January 2010.

Rigorous