US Department of Veterans Affairs
www.vacareers.va.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

US Department of Veterans Affairs Contract Specialist Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated May 5, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Contract Specialist

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2014.

Interview Details – I Applied on USAJOBS website on April 7, 2014. I received a telephone call to schedule a phone interview on April 30th. The phone call was followed by an email with the interview instructions. My interview was held on May 5. The email also requested that I submit a list of professional references.

Interview Question – Describe a major change you experienced. How did you adapt to the change and what was the final outcome?   View Answer

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in December 2013.

Interview Details – First interview with supervisor of area where I will work (Monday). A second interview with deputy director (Friday of same week). Each interview was an hour. Tentative offer via phone from HR (following Monday), Tentative offer in writing via email (Thursday). Given one day to complete and return a small amount of forms (Friday). I am awaiting a firm offer. I have never in my 25 years of Government service been exposed to a hiring process this expedited. Very impressive.

Interview Question – Explain how you handled a situation where you dealt with a difficult employee or customer. Describe the nature of the problem, the outcome, and why and how you chose the method of resolution to deal with the issue.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is very little, if any, negotiation with the Federal Government.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Interview in federal building. Structured interview with 7 PBI questions. They wanted examples of past work and background of written communication, oral communication, biggest success, biggest challenge, how you deal with irate customers and clients, greatest weakness and why you want to work there. Interview panel was 2 types 1) overworked and 2) bored.

Interview Question – "Give us an example of a time when you spoke effectively in public."   Answer Question

Frederick, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2008.

Interview Details – Interviewed with a panel of three managers. The interview was very relaxed. It was over the phone as I lived across the country at the time. I prepared for the interview by writing out potential questions and answers, which really helped.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I did not do much negotiation; although I did ask, during the interview, what my chances of being offerred the job were. I was virtually guaranteed an offer, contingent on HR background check.

Contract Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Very redundant. Submitted same forms over and over again. Too many hands in the pot. Didn't seem to be great communication between program office, HR and payroll. Will listen to my instincts next time.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Interview Details – Submitted application - waited 8 months, selected for a phone interview, called in to interview. Waited one month for decision. Offered the position.

Interview Question – How can you raise the value of the department?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate - set pay levels for GS.

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!

US Department of Veterans Affairs Videos

US Department of Veterans Affairs – Why Work for Us?

About VA Careers Department of Veterans Affairs offers Veterans the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the United States. We operate more than 1,400 sites of care, including… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Veterans Affairs Contract Specialist interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Veterans Affairs employees and interview candidates.