US Department of Veterans Affairs Contract Specialist Interview Questions

3.2

Contract Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2014.

Interview

I Applied on USAJOBS website on April 7, 2014. I received a telephone call to schedule a phone interview on April 30th. The phone call was followed by an email with the interview instructions. My interview was held on May 5. The email also requested that I submit a list of professional references.

Interview Questions

• Describe a major change you experienced. How did you adapt to the change and what was the final outcome?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2013.

Interview

First interview with supervisor of area where I will work (Monday). A second interview with deputy director (Friday of same week). Each interview was an hour. Tentative offer via phone from HR (following Monday), Tentative offer in writing via email (Thursday). Given one day to complete and return a small amount of forms (Friday). I am awaiting a firm offer. I have never in my 25 years of Government service been exposed to a hiring process this expedited. Very impressive.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you handled a situation where you dealt with a difficult employee or customer. Describe the nature of the problem, the outcome, and why and how you chose the method of resolution to deal with the issue.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is very little, if any, negotiation with the Federal Government.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Interview in federal building. Structured interview with 7 PBI questions. They wanted examples of past work and background of written communication, oral communication, biggest success, biggest challenge, how you deal with irate customers and clients, greatest weakness and why you want to work there. Interview panel was 2 types 1) overworked and 2) bored.

Interview Questions

• "Give us an example of a time when you spoke effectively in public."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Frederick, MD) in August 2008.

Interview

Interviewed with a panel of three managers. The interview was very relaxed. It was over the phone as I lived across the country at the time. I prepared for the interview by writing out potential questions and answers, which really helped.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with the VA?   Answer Question
    • How do you typically handle agressive or offensive personalities in the workplace?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not do much negotiation; although I did ask, during the interview, what my chances of being offerred the job were. I was virtually guaranteed an offer, contingent on HR background check.

Contract Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Very redundant. Submitted same forms over and over again. Too many hands in the pot. Didn't seem to be great communication between program office, HR and payroll. Will listen to my instincts next time.

Contract Specialist Interview

Interview

Submitted application - waited 8 months, selected for a phone interview, called in to interview. Waited one month for decision. Offered the position.

Interview Questions

• How can you raise the value of the department?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate - set pay levels for GS.