US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

3 people were present for the interview This style of interview is called, "Performance Based Interview". Sample questions can be found online on the VA website. They aren't allowed to ask any questions that aren't published due to union rules which makes it predictable in some way.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you improved a system or outcome at work. Describe a difficult experience you had with a veteran and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Psychologist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

It is a performance based interview. People are generally nice during the interview. They arranged to take me out to lunch and had chatted informally (although anything you say in an interview counts, so don't drop your guard too much).

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when (something) happened and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (San Diego, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview with two interviewers. Approx 20 minutes. They introduced themselves, described the position and allowed me to introduce myself and explain why I would be a good fit. Then five interview questions, very standard. I was then provided a bulletted list of a claims process and told to write a summary of the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you disagreed with something at work, how did you handle it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I have not been offered the job yet, but I am required to choose something to fill out this form.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Haven, CT

Interview

The manager begin with brief summary of the unit, then proceed to asking me questions. It was about one and half hour. Then I took a tour of the unit.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how I utilized nursing process and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Pharmacy Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Phone interview process, tell me about yourself and experience, then a series of performance based questions... tell me about a time? Questions should be answered as if you are telling a story, with the context was what happened, what actually happened and what was the end result. C.A.R is a good acronym to use context, action and result.

Health Science Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applications are invited from US citizens through advertisement at regular channels. Personnel Office screens the applications based upon requirements and candidate's qualifications and experience. The division/sevice chiefs and staff interviews candidates. Short-listed candidates are again asked for detailed interviews and visit. The selected candidate is informed about the result and a suitable date for joininig is negotiated.

Interview Questions

• How I would manage the review process.   Answer Question
    • To active researchers-Whether they would be comfortable in administrative position.   Answer Question
    • How comfortable I would be in switching from an active researcher to academic administrator?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Had to negotiate time to continue my ongoing research

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

the environment was friendly and the interview questions were reasonable, the interviewers showed me around and asked me about my experience, the interview was pretty short, they asked me basic questions and went over my resume

Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Battle Creek, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Battle Creek, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

Interned over the school year, got an email in June asking if I was interested in interviewing for the position I interned in, interviewed in July, heard nothing for more than 3 weeks, and got an offer mid August. The interview was not stressful at all, it's the waiting that killed me. I do not anticipate starting in the position until October. I know the person whose job I'm filling left in June.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to juggle several things at the same time. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

You are in a small office with three members of management. Generally they are from various teams within that department. They each take turns reading from scripted questions that they have to ask everybody. Individuals who like you will conversation more, those who are not interested will get straight to the point and only talk about the questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you lead a project. What was accomplished and how did you go about completing the various tasks.   Answer Question

VALOR Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

An application was sent to my pharmacy school, and I had to fill it out along with submitting my resume and my DD 214. The requirement was that I had to make sure to have at least a 3.0 in my pharmacy classes and that I had an interest in working for the VA after graduation.

Interview Questions

• I had no formal interview with the company in order to be selected as a VALOR student for the summer   Answer Question