US Department of Veterans Affairs

138 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Support Interview

Research Support

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Group interview by hiring manager and peers. Zero knowledge of modern day HR methods. Uninspired questions that were geared more toward self-assessment, but offered no real candidate insight. For example: on a scale of 1 to 10, tell me how well you do X. (Now imagine that question repeated 5 times, each with a different X, and no follow-up questions.)

Interview Question – There was none. The entire process seemed embarrassingly unprofessional and stale.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 5 months later, I recieved a job offer, in the mail. Still laid off, and desperate for work, I took the position. I'm a top performer, and acknowledged as such by managment. But I'm painfully unhappy.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

Interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Interview Details – really informal and unprofessional at the location i was at in LA, guy never called even after i left a message to follow up on, i would say go try the interview process bt dont expect to come back with any good hope and will be left guessing for weeks on what happened

Interview Question – no technical questions asked at all   Answer Question

Certified Nursing Assistant (Spinal Cord Injury) Interview

Certified Nursing Assistant (Spinal Cord Injury)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online June 8th and was called for an interview on July 11th. I submitted a copy of my certification, college diplomas, fire/cpr/bls cards and resume. They asked me to bring a list of references to the interview. I spoke to a panel of 3 RNs that work on the unit. They took turns asking me questions that were mainly of a customer care nature.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the VA?   View Answer

Primary Care Giver Interview

Primary Care Giver

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2013.

Interview Details – Requires experience and understanding from civilian or ex-military employees. I was able to get the job fairly quickly because I am prior military, I understand house chores, and I am able to hold in the face of drug addicted anger.

Interview Question – They were all previously known.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.
The job requires living with disabled military and is set at a standard base pay.

Internship Interview

Internship
San Juan, PR

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Very basic questions regarding my experience and education. The supervisor explained to me the office's organization, protocols and objectives. It is very important for this office that you are a bilingual person.

Interview Question – What do you expect whit this experience?   Answer Question

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Medical Support Assistant

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – had a telephone interview and then a face to face interview with three people on a panel. Was shown around the facility, and introduced to the staff who worked there.

Interview Question – Describe to me an incident that you had with a difficult customer   Answer Question

Police Officer Interview

Police Officer

I applied online and interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – one interview with a panel, and a series of 4 questions per member. The entire process took almost a year from applying to getting hired. After getting hired even if you were a seasoned Police Officer you still have to attend their joke and a waste of an academy.

Interview Question – when did you disagree with a supervisor and what was the outcome,   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none

Biomedical Engineer Interview

Biomedical Engineer
New Orleans, LA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was very straight forward with typical questions expected of a government job. Examples-- What have you had to overcome in the past? When have you had to display leadership in an unexpected situation? What experiences have you to be the person you are today? Are you prepared to move where you're needed?

Interview Question – Provide an example of an adverse event or experience and explain how you overcame this obstacle?   Answer Question

VA Work Study Employee Interview

VA Work Study Employee
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted App, received call within days, phone interview and was offered the job instantly ( I made it top applicant due to my transcript, military background and experience) Due to my educational background I made the candidate top list, the VA works with students and I was unformed about flexibility for students

Negotiation Details – None-as is pay

Secretary Interview

Secretary
Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2013.

Interview Details – Easy, I was a work study while a student at Arizona State University. Interview was basically just finding out my availability and brief introductions. I began work the next day which was nice and was allowed to do my school work during work hours when there was not other tasks to complete.

Interview Question – Can you start tomorrow?   Answer Question

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!