US Department of Veterans Affairs

2.8

IT Specialist (Inet) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in March 2010.

All notices for hiring full time positions gets posted and goes through USAJOBS. However, It is a customary practice that the job description and skills (KSAO) described on the USAJOBS application are not reflected as to what the duties actually ended being for the new hire. The job title will be sufficiently descriptive, so if it says System Admin (SYSADM), you will be doing system administration duties, even though the skills listed might be out of date of use systems you never heard of. This is because to change the job description is a extremely involved process that takes over 9 months and is subject to a lot of review for people outside the facility. So, they might hire anyone and when that person arrives onboard, then the newly hired find out what the real job duties are once the email requests for help start coming in. Most people get hired without any specific skills, you can BS the interview as usually those hiring have no idea how to do the job being filled.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had conflicting priorities from different senior officials, due at the same time. Describe how you resolves that issue, which did you complete?   View Answer
    They will tell you there is no negotiating. Its a lie. Be realistic. You can may not be able to change the grade, but you can surely get more steps within the grade, get 'time off' awards and hiring bonuses.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

the hiring is about 60 day process. The interviews are normally performance based questions. It is a panel interview normally face to face. However if you are not located within the area it can be over the phone

Research Associate Interview

It was straight forward. I had a phone interview first. Then two on site interviews. The first lasted about a half hour the second nearly 3 hours. It took me two weeks to hear back from them.

Medical Reimbursements Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2013.

No interview. The HR office called me and offered me the job. This is an entry level position with high turn over so they try to get as many people in the system as possible. I had no prior experience in the exact duties, just general office skills.

No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Certified Nursing Assistant (Spinal Cord Injury) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in July 2014.

I applied online June 8th and was called for an interview on July 11th. I submitted a copy of my certification, college diplomas, fire/cpr/bls cards and resume. They asked me to bring a list of references to the interview. I spoke to a panel of 3 RNs that work on the unit. They took turns asking me questions that were mainly of a customer care nature.

Research Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Group interview by hiring manager and peers. Zero knowledge of modern day HR methods. Uninspired questions that were geared more toward self-assessment, but offered no real candidate insight. For example: on a scale of 1 to 10, tell me how well you do X. (Now imagine that question repeated 5 times, each with a different X, and no follow-up questions.)

Interview Questions
    • There was none. The entire process seemed embarrassingly unprofessional and stale.   Answer Question
    5 months later, I recieved a job offer, in the mail. Still laid off, and desperate for work, I took the position. I'm a top performer, and acknowledged as such by managment. But I'm painfully unhappy.

Research Associate Interview

really informal and unprofessional at the location i was at in LA, guy never called even after i left a message to follow up on, i would say go try the interview process bt dont expect to come back with any good hope and will be left guessing for weeks on what happened

Medical Support Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

had a telephone interview and then a face to face interview with three people on a panel. Was shown around the facility, and introduced to the staff who worked there.

Interview Questions
    • Describe to me an incident that you had with a difficult customer   Answer Question

Primary Care Giver Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2013.

Requires experience and understanding from civilian or ex-military employees. I was able to get the job fairly quickly because I am prior military, I understand house chores, and I am able to hold in the face of drug addicted anger.

No negotiation.
    The job requires living with disabled military and is set at a standard base pay.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Juan, PR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Very basic questions regarding my experience and education. The supervisor explained to me the office's organization, protocols and objectives. It is very important for this office that you are a bilingual person.

Interview Questions

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!