US Department of Veterans Affairs

129 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Medical Support Assistant

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – had a telephone interview and then a face to face interview with three people on a panel. Was shown around the facility, and introduced to the staff who worked there.

Interview Question – Describe to me an incident that you had with a difficult customer   Answer Question

Research Health Science Specialist Interview

Research Health Science Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – The hiring process didn't take that long for me but I have heard of hiring taking several months for some. I applied for the job in November, was interviewed in December, and received a formal offer in late January.

Interview Question – The degree that I have are very different from one another but also seemed to be a stretch for the research the position was geared towards, so the question was asking me how all these things fit and will be advantageous in the new position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations at the VA are possible! It took some paperwork and justification but I was able to negotiate from a step 1 to step 5 within my GS level. I think the ability to negotiate depends on the hiring manager's willingness to put in the effort.

Veterans Service Representative Interview

Veterans Service Representative
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – The telephonic interview was basic. There were two people on the panel.
They asked what does integrity mean to you?
Describe the type of worker you are in three words and explain each word?
Why do you want to work for the VA?
After the interview I received an email with to timed test (written and analytical)

Interview Question – They asked what does integrity mean to you?   Answer Question

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Veteran Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Apply online via USAJobs. Typicl interview questions for almost all VA positions. Performance/Behavioral based questions - example give me an example of a time you....what was the result...what would you have improved...

Interview Question – Asked to provide a time you failed and what you could do better next time. Odd question to ask.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negation. You take what they offer or they'll give it to someone else. Period.

Resident Engineer Interview

Resident Engineer
San Juan, PR

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in June 2010.

Interview Details – There was only one interview. It was between the Senior Resident Engi neer of the National Cemetery Administration Puerto RIco National Cemetery and I, a Resident Engineer, from the Office of Construction and Facilities Management, on the San Juan Veterans Affairs Caribbean Health Care Systems New Hospital South Bed Tower project.

Interview Question – How will you feel building cemeteries instead of hospitals?   View Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Registered Nurse
Amarillo, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Long, drawn out and painful. Due to holiday season the Boarding committee did not meet because the regular meeting days fell on Holidays. I interviewed the day before Thanksgiving and accepted position tentatively awaiting pay grade offer around New Years and did not start until February 4th.

Interview Question – Many questions concerning difficult past job conflicts and the outcomes with co-workers, Bosses and Physicians.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A 4-month process to receive a pay offer from the Boarding Committee.

Senior Operations Research Analyst Interview

Senior Operations Research Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2013.

Interview Details – They had multiple rounds of interviews. The first interview involved a director, the direct supervisor (section chief), and one of the individuals working in the group that I would be joining. They asked several questions mostly to make sure you know your basics and a few tougher ones to undersrtand how you think

Interview Question – They asked some of the typical investment banker interview questions. I think they just want to make sure you can 1) think 2) won't crack under pressure (people really have just walked out).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none and they probably would've pulled my offer if I pushed it

Mental Health Interview

Mental Health

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Back ground checks, drug test and physical, interview was with a panel-ask general questions about leadership and conflict resolution. Several questions regarding what you do if you had a conflict with a co-worker; how would communicate with your supervisor.

Interview Question – General questions which had very little to do with the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Social Worker Interview

Social Worker

I applied through college or university and interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Did the cursory interview as is expected when one is completing their second year of a Masters program. I'm expected to write at least 30 words but there really isn't much to say when one considers this interview was set up through NYU's Master's program. Yes the VA will only take second year students but at that point it's a given your going to get the position.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary was asked as this was a cursory interview, I.E., make sure we could get along for nine months.   Answer Question

Occupational Therapist Interview

Occupational Therapist

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Interview was set up one day after receiving my resume. I went in to meet with supervisor for Occupational Therapy and was surprised that it was a panel interview with other staff including social worker, physiatrist, neurologist in rehab department. At first there was a total overview of the position and what they were looking for followed by specific questions about my experience. While most interviewers were friendly and informative, one of the panel was slightly aggressive and became slightly defensive when I asked why working for the VA might be a good choice for me.
Following the interview (which was over one hour) I got a tour of the entire facility and was basically being welcomed aboard. They asked me to fill out all the paperwork required and explained that sometimes it is a lengthy process to get hired so I will need to continuously check with my paperwork proceedings with HR. When I followed up about the interview I was never given a yes or no on if I was getting the position just that I was still a candidate and to continue to see how my paperwork was going. After three weeks I stopped. It would have been nice to simply receive a "No".

Interview Question – Specific questions about behavioral issues while working with clients in the past.   Answer Question

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!