US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.8

Environmental Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

- Left a resume at on a College Carrer Fair table
    -Received a callback the same day and an offer soon after a informal phone interview and in person interview
    - Questions were mostly character questions

Standard. There wasn't much wiggle room for negotiating terms. However, be sure that HR considers your degrees. ONce you accept an offer, it is hard to get them to retroactively compensate you.

Medical Support Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Was notified of interview through the veterans recruitment coordinator. Interview was about thirty minutes long. There were two people on the panel. The asked many questions, all of which were fairly easy to answer. Common since answers.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was hostile.   View Answer

Medical Support Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Very long process, background checks everything goes through an HR department that covers over 20,000 employees but the wait is usually the background checks and being able to get in touch with references and past employers.

Interview Questions
    • Performance Based Interview Questions. Interviewers want examples not just answers   Answer Question

Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Black hole of USAJOBS application process leaves a lot to be desired. Application status closures are not done consistently. Performance-based interviews are done, which are not an actual measure of how work is really done. Like teaching to the test, the candidate shows that they know how to do a performance-based interview, not the actual job. It seems that candidates may already be chosen for the job, even prior to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with an irate client.   View Answer
    None. You get what they advertise.

Medical Center Director Interview

Seven different interviews. VA practices "performance based interviewing" which requires multiple, specific examples of your success in the workplace. Resume review is followed by a phone PBI interview. If you are passed on in that process generally 2-4 candidates will go to the facility for multiple face to face interviews.

Medical Support Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in October 2014.

Applied in September, got an email and interview in October, and was offered a position today!! 20 Nov. 14.
    PBR type interview. Mine was pretty intense, 3 person board. Each person asked about 10 questions each, all directed towards your resume and how it can apply to the position. Be sure to "scrub" your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a situation in which you had a better idea than your manager, and how did you handled the differences?   Answer Question
    I read on here that ppl negotiated pay, but I can tell you, at least for me, it was never mentioned nor discussed. You applied for the GS level, so either accept it or find another offer.

LEAD MSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in October 2014.

Applied online at the usa jobs web site. Waited about a month after job was closed to get a reply back. Interview was in front of a group of people. Normal interview questions and waited another 3 weeks. Received a call from HR asking if I would like the job.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

the hiring is about 60 day process. The interviews are normally performance based questions. It is a panel interview normally face to face. However if you are not located within the area it can be over the phone

Research Associate Interview

It was straight forward. I had a phone interview first. Then two on site interviews. The first lasted about a half hour the second nearly 3 hours. It took me two weeks to hear back from them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2014.

The interview was with a three panel group. Each person asked a question, not many questions. It was a relaxed setting and very comfortable. Always made sure to answer each question truthful and be myself.

Interview Questions
    I was satisfied with my first offer. Pleased.