US Department of Veterans Affairs

Getting the Interview

98 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant/MSA Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Received a call for interview at the VA. Scheduled a time and was interviewed by two people in the first round. General behavioral questions: what are your goals, how do you work in a team, etc. Second round, I was interviewed by more senior staff and they asked me much the same types of behavioral question. They were more scenario oriented: How do you manage a person who cannot see your point of view on an issue? How do you handle stress?

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to lead in order to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You are payed according to the grade of the position you applied for.

IT Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in March 2012.

Interview Details – The VA interviews on a system which is referred to as performance based interviewing (PBI). A Google search will yield a whole website dedicated to this style of Interviewing, hosted by the VA.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you had a conflict with a fellow employee and how you resolved it. Did you resolve the issue independently, through an intermediary, or with the assistance of a supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No salary negotiation.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – If you are a veteran you are pretty much a shoe in. Interview is quite straight forward, no unexpected questions. Just do the normal.. answer question with experience.

Interview Question – none: but this job is horrible. You are treated as a number, not a person. They don't give a crap about you. HR is pretty much useless.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They tell you what you will get.. you have to pull teeth to get higher.

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Columbia, SC

Interview Details – This can sometimes take 3+ months...I put in my application and then when they called I didn't remember applying...I did a telephone interview and was skeptical about doing one...it turned out good b/c I was selected.

Interview Question – One of the interviewers was hoarse so it was a little difficult to understand them...most of the questions were "Tell me about a time when..." kind of questions...not too nerve wracking   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one. I didn't know I could negotiate my salary at the time.

Fee-basis Physician Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – I was hired internally-just asked about responsibility, hours I wanted to work.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2010.

Interview Details – Submit an online application and be sure to pay attention to the KSA questions, if you dont use key words that were in the question in your answer your application can get rejected by the computer.

Interview Question – What is one thing that your current employer, or former could say you didnt do well.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It took about 6 months, very back and forth because the government had to find funds.

Many Interview

Interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Interview Details – Utilize panel performance based interviews. Every question has 3-4 questions (parts). It can be tricky to answer all parts of the question. Interviews conducted via phone and/or in person.

Interview Question – PBI questions have several parts to them so can be tricky to answer every question within a question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – every job has a grade so pay is set--no negotiation

Social Services Assistant Interview

Bath, NY

I applied online and interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Performance based interview process

Interview Question – What was the most difficult situation I had seen myself in and what did I do about it?   Answer Question

Veterans Service Representative Interview

Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2010.

Interview Details – The application process was online and fairly in depth. It required lots of documents to upload, and several questions to answer. Some questions were in the form of essay. There was no phone interview. I received an invitation to conduct an on site interview, which consisted of a three person panel and they asked a total of 5 questions (not 5 questions each).

Interview Question – Who would you like to meet and why? Response had to be as close to 50 words as possible   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations possible since its a government job

Program Analyst Interview

Program Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2010.

Interview Details – application then telephonic interview

Interview Question – Understanding and input for strategic plan for the future to improve dellivery of services to our veterans   View Answer

Negotiation Details – eay

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!

US Department of Veterans Affairs Videos

US Department of Veterans Affairs – Why Work for Us?

About VA Careers Department of Veterans Affairs offers Veterans the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the United States. We operate more than 1,400 sites of care, including… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Veterans Affairs interview questions and advice. All 98 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Veterans Affairs employees and interview candidates.