US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.9

Certified Nursing Assistant Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Went to a job fair took an qualified exam test and filled out application. Was accepted to do an interview,Interview was filled with scenario based questions. We were asked to wait for a while so they can interview us and we talked with each other about it. They had us review the question prior before getting the interview.

Health Systems Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Longer then I expected to be contacted for interview. Panel of two supervisors with about 5 questions each. Basic interview questions for the most part. Waiting for them to initiate the background check.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most stressful situation you have ever been in and how did you react?   Answer Question

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Applied on Thursday (12/18) , Interview on Monday (12/22). Have not received an offer as of 12/30.

Panel interview with 2 people. They asked 5 questions (see below) and then I was given the opportunity to ask questions and/or give any additional statements.

After the interview, I had to give a computer-based writing sample. I had 30 minutes to answer the following question:

Based on your knowledge of the job description, how will your strengths significantly impact the performance of this office?

Interview Questions
    • 1) Tell me about a time you took leadership of an organizational change. What was successful/unsuccessful? Looking back, is there anything you would change?

2) Tell me about a time you had to get someone to accept a new idea. How did you go about it? What was the outcome?

3) Tell me about a time you had to tell someone something they didn't want to hear? What was the result? What would you change?

4) Tell me about a suggestion you have made to your supervisor in the past year. How did you come up with the ideas? What happened? How do you feel about the way things went?

5) Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision on your own. How did you go about it? When do you need to seek assistance? What was the outcome?

Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Application, then phone or in-person interview about area of expertise with psychologists. The whole process was very similar across the different sites. Somewhat flexible on dates to interview as well.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in January 2015.

1 month after applying I got a letter for an interview that was a month away. 3 person panel interview with performance based questions. I was asked approximately 10 questions that were pb. 30 minute interview, interviewers were friendly. Waiting now to see if I get selected for the 2nd interview. Got a call 2 days after interview letting me know I was going to be invited back for 2nd interview in 2 weeks!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a difficult situation & how you went about handling it.
      How would you handle an irate client?
      Tell me what you think is the most important aspect of working on a team.
      Tell me how you manage admistrative responsibilities & how you prioritize them.
      Do you really want to work here?

Answer Question

Information Technology Specialist (INFO SECURITY) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in January 2015.

The interview process was conducted in a manner every expert recommends not to do. A "bum rush" of board members reviewing who was going to ask the cookie cut questions not relevant to the line of work a potential selectee is applying for. Able to use the opportunity to prepare for a different career opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a disruptive customer?   View Answer

Dental Resident Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

One on one 45 minute interview with director was laid back. He answered all my questions and was very honest what the program entails. I was shown around the clinic and felt welcomed. The secretary was very nice to inform me of living options in the area.

Senior Veterans Claims Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The hiring process is the basic interviewing/hiring process there is three interviews. So learning about the organization will definitely be a plus to get the job, also know there core values for the third and final interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1. why would we hire you? 2. what can you do to better assist veterans?   View Answer

Staff RN Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

After applying through USA Jobs I waited 4-5 weeks before getting a call to see if I was still interested in interviewing....I was. @ weeks later I interviewed. 3 weeks after that I was called and extended a "tentative" offer. 2 weeks after that I went to be fingerprinted. 3 weeks after that I went for my physical. That was 2 weeks ago and I am expecting a call with a salary and "actual" offer any day.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a conflict that you had to solve when your supervisor was unavailable"   Answer Question

Staff RN Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

After applying for the position I was notified of an interview offer 2 weeks afterward and the interview was scheduled for 1 week following that. The interview was conducted by a panel of three including the regional director for the specialty I was applying for, the district DON, and a staff member from the facility that had the opening.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you handled a conflict that occurred when your supervisor was not available   Answer Question