US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.8

Police Officer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

one interview with a panel, and a series of 4 questions per member. The entire process took almost a year from applying to getting hired. After getting hired even if you were a seasoned Police Officer you still have to attend their joke and a waste of an academy.

Interview Questions
    • when did you disagree with a supervisor and what was the outcome,   Answer Question
    there was none

Biomedical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2013.

The interview was very straight forward with typical questions expected of a government job. Examples-- What have you had to overcome in the past? When have you had to display leadership in an unexpected situation? What experiences have you to be the person you are today? Are you prepared to move where you're needed?

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example of an adverse event or experience and explain how you overcame this obstacle?   Answer Question

VA Work Study Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2013.

Submitted App, received call within days, phone interview and was offered the job instantly ( I made it top applicant due to my transcript, military background and experience) Due to my educational background I made the candidate top list, the VA works with students and I was unformed about flexibility for students

None-as is pay

Veterans Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The telephonic interview was basic. There were two people on the panel.
    They asked what does integrity mean to you?
    Describe the type of worker you are in three words and explain each word?
    Why do you want to work for the VA?
    After the interview I received an email with to timed test (written and analytical)

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2013.

Easy, I was a work study while a student at Arizona State University. Interview was basically just finding out my availability and brief introductions. I began work the next day which was nice and was allowed to do my school work during work hours when there was not other tasks to complete.

Research Health Science Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The hiring process didn't take that long for me but I have heard of hiring taking several months for some. I applied for the job in November, was interviewed in December, and received a formal offer in late January.

Interview Questions
    • The degree that I have are very different from one another but also seemed to be a stretch for the research the position was geared towards, so the question was asking me how all these things fit and will be advantageous in the new position.   Answer Question
    Negotiations at the VA are possible! It took some paperwork and justification but I was able to negotiate from a step 1 to step 5 within my GS level. I think the ability to negotiate depends on the hiring manager's willingness to put in the effort.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Apply online via USAJobs. Typicl interview questions for almost all VA positions. Performance/Behavioral based questions - example give me an example of a time you....what was the result...what would you have improved...

Interview Questions
    • Asked to provide a time you failed and what you could do better next time. Odd question to ask.   Answer Question
    No negation. You take what they offer or they'll give it to someone else. Period.

Resident Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Juan, PR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in June 2010.

There was only one interview. It was between the Senior Resident Engi neer of the National Cemetery Administration Puerto RIco National Cemetery and I, a Resident Engineer, from the Office of Construction and Facilities Management, on the San Juan Veterans Affairs Caribbean Health Care Systems New Hospital South Bed Tower project.

Interview Questions
    • How will you feel building cemeteries instead of hospitals?   View Answer

Mental Health Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Back ground checks, drug test and physical, interview was with a panel-ask general questions about leadership and conflict resolution. Several questions regarding what you do if you had a conflict with a co-worker; how would communicate with your supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • General questions which had very little to do with the job.   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Amarillo, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amarillo, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Long, drawn out and painful. Due to holiday season the Boarding committee did not meet because the regular meeting days fell on Holidays. I interviewed the day before Thanksgiving and accepted position tentatively awaiting pay grade offer around New Years and did not start until February 4th.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions concerning difficult past job conflicts and the outcomes with co-workers, Bosses and Physicians.   Answer Question
    A 4-month process to receive a pay offer from the Boarding Committee.