US Department of Veterans Affairs

129 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Medical Support Assistant

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, and then a one to one interview, background check and orientation. I waitied a few months for all of the paperwork to go through. There was a panel of three people who were conducting the interviewing portion of the position.

Negotiation Details – N.A

Very Easy Interview

LVN Interview

LVN
Martinez, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Applied online. Easy as pie. 4 people in a room with manager, very cordial. All were hired. No difficult questions. More of a meet and greet to tell you you're hired and what's next. What's next is actually lots of meetings about policies and procedures and the VA structure. They need LVNs desperately. They leave quickly here at Matinez. Other VAs have less turnover.

Interview Question – So, when can you start? Lol   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. You are paid according to a scale.

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Management and Program Analyst
Augusta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2013.

Interview Details – easy interview and standard behavior questions; 3 people panel;1 hour meeting;be yourself;get familiar with the job description and resume;be personal;if you know the top ten interview questions, you will be able to do well in the interview.

Interview Question – How to handle difficult co-workers?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in April 2013.

Interview Details – Initially, they solicited an informal cover letter and resume. Then a formal job announcement was posted, with a thorough questionnaire on my experience. I had a 1-on-1 phone interview, and after that, I was called in for an interview with the supervisor and the group. They used a standard set of behavioral interview questions. I'll note that the original position was described as one particular project, but once I accepted the job, they decided to put me on another project.

Interview Question – How have you handled irate customers?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR called and gave the offer. Little room to negotiate.

Very Difficult Interview

Staff RN Interview

Staff RN
Bay Pines, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in April 2013.

Interview Details – Very enthusiast rid to join VA in 1992, and after 20 years of dedicated service to the Veterans, (my own father was a lifer), tossed out like garbage by insecure nurse manager

Interview Question – Management policies after 20 years of VA service,   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was an enthusiastic new nurse in April 1993, and thrown away like garbage after 20 years, in which I received numerous awards

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Veteran Service Representative

I applied through other source and interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Put into position by as a veteran getting work under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). Went through the standard couple of days on how to conduct business on the job.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Administrative
Coatesville, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – If you are not related dont even bother you have to be a family member and if you do get in and do not sleep around you will be attacked all management is corrupt and together on one thing and that is to further themselves

Interview Question – There were no questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotion

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Overall it was relatively quick process. I got an offer after 3 weeks of job announcement submission. I got a phone call for an interview in 2 weeks and I had 2 interviews in 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Conflict Management with customers   Answer Question

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Medical Support Assistant
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in January 2013.

Interview Details – Regardless of the job for which you're applying, write an extensive, LONG resume. One job per page - and fill each page with your responsibilities, accomplishments, how you overcame challenges, and how you contributed or improved your working environment. This isn't the private sector resume with bullet points! ELABORATE on your resume. You need to paint a picture for Human Resources so they know exactly who you are, how you managed your work day, and how you excelled or overcame challenges.

Also, follow the instructions on the job announcement. Include your employer, address, phone number, month & year of employment, full-time or part-time, and the number of hours you worked per week. Some managers conduct a phone interview first, so be prepared. Dress and professionally - whether on the phone or in person. Don't chew gum and don't smell like cigarettes. Be calm, confident, and tell the truth. They will find out if what you say is factual.

Interview Question – Because this was a year ago, I don't recall the questions I was asked. Three people were present and everyone had a different question but the interaction was easy and no one intimidated me (thankfully).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Federal government positions frequently have a set salary but some positions have more negotiation room than others.

Nurse Interview

Nurse

Interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Interview Details – Interview with Manager and Assistant manager, did have to wait quite a while but was acknowledged while waiting and frequent apologies offered due to the wait time. General questions asked as with most interviews.

Interview Question – How would I diffuse a specific issue in which nobody gets what they want.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation offered, you take what you get.