US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.8

Research Associate Interview

really informal and unprofessional at the location i was at in LA, guy never called even after i left a message to follow up on, i would say go try the interview process bt dont expect to come back with any good hope and will be left guessing for weeks on what happened

Medical Support Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

had a telephone interview and then a face to face interview with three people on a panel. Was shown around the facility, and introduced to the staff who worked there.

Interview Questions
    • Describe to me an incident that you had with a difficult customer   Answer Question

New Graduate Nurse- Mental Health Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2014.

I was called by the nurse manager and she also sent a follow up email regarding setting up an interview. I scheduled an interview for the following week. It was a panel with 3 other nurse managers and they asked behavioral interview style questions, also with some questions such as what I would do if I had realized I had made a medication error, and why did I want to work in mental health. I heard back via usajobs.gov approx. 3-4 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I was thrown off by a question about a specific use of EBP, since we use it in pretty much all aspects of care!   Answer Question

Police Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

one interview with a panel, and a series of 4 questions per member. The entire process took almost a year from applying to getting hired. After getting hired even if you were a seasoned Police Officer you still have to attend their joke and a waste of an academy.

Interview Questions
    • when did you disagree with a supervisor and what was the outcome,   Answer Question
    there was none

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Very basic questions regarding my experience and education. The supervisor explained to me the office's organization, protocols and objectives. It is very important for this office that you are a bilingual person.

Veterans Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The telephonic interview was basic. There were two people on the panel.
    They asked what does integrity mean to you?
    Describe the type of worker you are in three words and explain each word?
    Why do you want to work for the VA?
    After the interview I received an email with to timed test (written and analytical)

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Apply online via USAJobs. Typicl interview questions for almost all VA positions. Performance/Behavioral based questions - example give me an example of a time you....what was the result...what would you have improved...

Interview Questions
    • Asked to provide a time you failed and what you could do better next time. Odd question to ask.   Answer Question
    No negation. You take what they offer or they'll give it to someone else. Period.

Research Health Science Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The hiring process didn't take that long for me but I have heard of hiring taking several months for some. I applied for the job in November, was interviewed in December, and received a formal offer in late January.

Interview Questions
    • The degree that I have are very different from one another but also seemed to be a stretch for the research the position was geared towards, so the question was asking me how all these things fit and will be advantageous in the new position.   Answer Question
    Negotiations at the VA are possible! It took some paperwork and justification but I was able to negotiate from a step 1 to step 5 within my GS level. I think the ability to negotiate depends on the hiring manager's willingness to put in the effort.

Certified Nursing Assistant (Spinal Cord Injury) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in July 2014.

I applied online June 8th and was called for an interview on July 11th. I submitted a copy of my certification, college diplomas, fire/cpr/bls cards and resume. They asked me to bring a list of references to the interview. I spoke to a panel of 3 RNs that work on the unit. They took turns asking me questions that were mainly of a customer care nature.

Mental Health Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Back ground checks, drug test and physical, interview was with a panel-ask general questions about leadership and conflict resolution. Several questions regarding what you do if you had a conflict with a co-worker; how would communicate with your supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • General questions which had very little to do with the job.   Answer Question