US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.9

Health Systems Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Longer then I expected to be contacted for interview. Panel of two supervisors with about 5 questions each. Basic interview questions for the most part. Waiting for them to initiate the background check.

Interview Questions

• What is the most stressful situation you have ever been in and how did you react?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Application, then phone or in-person interview about area of expertise with psychologists. The whole process was very similar across the different sites. Somewhat flexible on dates to interview as well.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was conducted in a manner every expert recommends not to do. A "bum rush" of board members reviewing who was going to ask the cookie cut questions not relevant to the line of work a potential selectee is applying for. Able to use the opportunity to prepare for a different career opportunity.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a disruptive customer?   1 Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Long process. Applied in December, official offer received the end of February. Well worth the wait. Great salary offer and the benefits are fantastic. My HR recruiter was wonderful-kept me informed about process. Highly recommend!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Offer is based on boarding package.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Montgomery, AL) in January 2015.

Interview

1 month after applying I got a letter for an interview that was a month away. 3 person panel interview with performance based questions. I was asked approximately 10 questions that were pb. 30 minute interview, interviewers were friendly. Waiting now to see if I get selected for the 2nd interview. Got a call 2 days after interview letting me know I was going to be invited back for 2nd interview in 2 weeks!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a difficult situation & how you went about handling it.
      How would you handle an irate client?
      Tell me what you think is the most important aspect of working on a team.
      Tell me how you manage admistrative responsibilities & how you prioritize them.
      Do you really want to work here?

Answer Question

Dental Resident Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

One on one 45 minute interview with director was laid back. He answered all my questions and was very honest what the program entails. I was shown around the clinic and felt welcomed. The secretary was very nice to inform me of living options in the area.

Senior Veterans Claims Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

The hiring process is the basic interviewing/hiring process there is three interviews. So learning about the organization will definitely be a plus to get the job, also know there core values for the third and final interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. why would we hire you? 2. what can you do to better assist veterans?   1 Answer

Staff RN Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

After applying through USA Jobs I waited 4-5 weeks before getting a call to see if I was still interested in interviewing....I was. @ weeks later I interviewed. 3 weeks after that I was called and extended a "tentative" offer. 2 weeks after that I went to be fingerprinted. 3 weeks after that I went for my physical. That was 2 weeks ago and I am expecting a call with a salary and "actual" offer any day.

Interview Questions

• "Describe a conflict that you had to solve when your supervisor was unavailable"   Answer Question

Staff RN Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

After applying for the position I was notified of an interview offer 2 weeks afterward and the interview was scheduled for 1 week following that. The interview was conducted by a panel of three including the regional director for the specialty I was applying for, the district DON, and a staff member from the facility that had the opening.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you handled a conflict that occurred when your supervisor was not available   Answer Question

Environmental Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

- Left a resume at on a College Carrer Fair table
    -Received a callback the same day and an offer soon after a informal phone interview and in person interview
    - Questions were mostly character questions

Negotiation

Standard. There wasn't much wiggle room for negotiating terms. However, be sure that HR considers your degrees. ONce you accept an offer, it is hard to get them to retroactively compensate you.