US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.8

TCFBiomedical Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2014.

Applied online through USA Jobs, was contacted about 4 months later for a phone interview, answered some generic interview questions ( what do you know about this position, where do you see yourself in 5 years, biggest weakness/strength etc..) and was offered an in person interview. Went to the department and was interviewed by 5 other people in the department including the Chief BME, some Staff BME's and a BME tech. The second interview asked more situational questions like explain a time when you resolved a conflict, what would you do if this happened etc...

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where a group member/co-worker had a problem with another persons diversity and what your actions were.   Answer Question

Telehealth Clinical Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2014.

Applied in July (7), then interviewed in September (9), selected and accepted offer in December (12). So, the process was long and that may have just been my particular situation.
    I had a choice between a phone and in-person interview and I chose in-person with a panel. The interview went smoothly with questions ranging from customer relations to clinical technician situations. You should be genuinely qualified and reasonably experienced for this position.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult/unexpected questions are those in which may happen in real life yet you have not encountered yet which are customer relations situations and clinical technician situations.   View Answer
    I did not attempt to negotiate.

Research Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Group interview by hiring manager and peers. Zero knowledge of modern day HR methods. Uninspired questions that were geared more toward self-assessment, but offered no real candidate insight. For example: on a scale of 1 to 10, tell me how well you do X. (Now imagine that question repeated 5 times, each with a different X, and no follow-up questions.)

Interview Questions
    • There was none. The entire process seemed embarrassingly unprofessional and stale.   Answer Question
    5 months later, I recieved a job offer, in the mail. Still laid off, and desperate for work, I took the position. I'm a top performer, and acknowledged as such by managment. But I'm painfully unhappy.

Research Associate Interview

really informal and unprofessional at the location i was at in LA, guy never called even after i left a message to follow up on, i would say go try the interview process bt dont expect to come back with any good hope and will be left guessing for weeks on what happened

Medical Support Assistant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

had a telephone interview and then a face to face interview with three people on a panel. Was shown around the facility, and introduced to the staff who worked there.

Interview Questions
    • Describe to me an incident that you had with a difficult customer   Answer Question

New Graduate Nurse- Mental Health Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2014.

I was called by the nurse manager and she also sent a follow up email regarding setting up an interview. I scheduled an interview for the following week. It was a panel with 3 other nurse managers and they asked behavioral interview style questions, also with some questions such as what I would do if I had realized I had made a medication error, and why did I want to work in mental health. I heard back via usajobs.gov approx. 3-4 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I was thrown off by a question about a specific use of EBP, since we use it in pretty much all aspects of care!   Answer Question

Police Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

one interview with a panel, and a series of 4 questions per member. The entire process took almost a year from applying to getting hired. After getting hired even if you were a seasoned Police Officer you still have to attend their joke and a waste of an academy.

Interview Questions
    • when did you disagree with a supervisor and what was the outcome,   Answer Question
    there was none

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, PR

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Very basic questions regarding my experience and education. The supervisor explained to me the office's organization, protocols and objectives. It is very important for this office that you are a bilingual person.

Veterans Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The telephonic interview was basic. There were two people on the panel.
    They asked what does integrity mean to you?
    Describe the type of worker you are in three words and explain each word?
    Why do you want to work for the VA?
    After the interview I received an email with to timed test (written and analytical)

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Apply online via USAJobs. Typicl interview questions for almost all VA positions. Performance/Behavioral based questions - example give me an example of a time you....what was the result...what would you have improved...

Interview Questions
    • Asked to provide a time you failed and what you could do better next time. Odd question to ask.   Answer Question
    No negation. You take what they offer or they'll give it to someone else. Period.