US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.9

Medical Center Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Seven different interviews. VA practices "performance based interviewing" which requires multiple, specific examples of your success in the workplace. Resume review is followed by a phone PBI interview. If you are passed on in that process generally 2-4 candidates will go to the facility for multiple face to face interviews.

Medical Support Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in October 2014.

Applied in September, got an email and interview in October, and was offered a position today!! 20 Nov. 14.
    PBR type interview. Mine was pretty intense, 3 person board. Each person asked about 10 questions each, all directed towards your resume and how it can apply to the position. Be sure to "scrub" your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a situation in which you had a better idea than your manager, and how did you handled the differences?   Answer Question
    I read on here that ppl negotiated pay, but I can tell you, at least for me, it was never mentioned nor discussed. You applied for the GS level, so either accept it or find another offer.

LEAD MSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in October 2014.

Applied online at the usa jobs web site. Waited about a month after job was closed to get a reply back. Interview was in front of a group of people. Normal interview questions and waited another 3 weeks. Received a call from HR asking if I would like the job.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

the hiring is about 60 day process. The interviews are normally performance based questions. It is a panel interview normally face to face. However if you are not located within the area it can be over the phone

Research Associate Interview

It was straight forward. I had a phone interview first. Then two on site interviews. The first lasted about a half hour the second nearly 3 hours. It took me two weeks to hear back from them.

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2014.

The interview was with a three panel group. Each person asked a question, not many questions. It was a relaxed setting and very comfortable. Always made sure to answer each question truthful and be myself.

Interview Questions
    I was satisfied with my first offer. Pleased.

TCFBiomedical Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2014.

Applied online through USA Jobs, was contacted about 4 months later for a phone interview, answered some generic interview questions ( what do you know about this position, where do you see yourself in 5 years, biggest weakness/strength etc..) and was offered an in person interview. Went to the department and was interviewed by 5 other people in the department including the Chief BME, some Staff BME's and a BME tech. The second interview asked more situational questions like explain a time when you resolved a conflict, what would you do if this happened etc...

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where a group member/co-worker had a problem with another persons diversity and what your actions were.   Answer Question

Telehealth Clinical Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2014.

Applied in July (7), then interviewed in September (9), selected and accepted offer in December (12). So, the process was long and that may have just been my particular situation.
    I had a choice between a phone and in-person interview and I chose in-person with a panel. The interview went smoothly with questions ranging from customer relations to clinical technician situations. You should be genuinely qualified and reasonably experienced for this position.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult/unexpected questions are those in which may happen in real life yet you have not encountered yet which are customer relations situations and clinical technician situations.   View Answer
    I did not attempt to negotiate.

Research Support Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Group interview by hiring manager and peers. Zero knowledge of modern day HR methods. Uninspired questions that were geared more toward self-assessment, but offered no real candidate insight. For example: on a scale of 1 to 10, tell me how well you do X. (Now imagine that question repeated 5 times, each with a different X, and no follow-up questions.)

Interview Questions
    • There was none. The entire process seemed embarrassingly unprofessional and stale.   Answer Question
    5 months later, I recieved a job offer, in the mail. Still laid off, and desperate for work, I took the position. I'm a top performer, and acknowledged as such by managment. But I'm painfully unhappy.

Research Associate Interview

really informal and unprofessional at the location i was at in LA, guy never called even after i left a message to follow up on, i would say go try the interview process bt dont expect to come back with any good hope and will be left guessing for weeks on what happened