US Department of Veterans Affairs

131 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Regis Interview

Regis

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was very difficult and intimidating. There were two people asking you situational questions and it was so difficult to concentrate. I have been working as a RN for 25 years and never have I gone to a interview such as this.

Interview Question – There were so many, could not remember.   Answer Question

Veterans Claims Examiner Interview

Veterans Claims Examiner
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in July 2011.

Interview Details – As with most government jobs, you apply on USAJobs website. For this position, you would need prior experience in VA, such as at a Regional Office. My interview consisted of a phone conversation with three individuals on the staff that I was applying for. They asked approximately 10 behavioral type questions.

Interview Question – All behavioral interviews can be difficult in my view. If they ask a question such as - "describe a time when you didn't get along with your superior, what did you do, and what was the outcome?" - you may not have had a time when you didn't get along with your supervisor, so you have to essentially BS your way through the question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Former Registered Nurse Manager Interview

Former Registered Nurse Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in June 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed my skills in nursing in ICU

Interview Question – Do I know how to work with 48 nurses to do in services   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administrative Assistant/MSA Interview

Administrative Assistant/MSA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Received a call for interview at the VA. Scheduled a time and was interviewed by two people in the first round. General behavioral questions: what are your goals, how do you work in a team, etc. Second round, I was interviewed by more senior staff and they asked me much the same types of behavioral question. They were more scenario oriented: How do you manage a person who cannot see your point of view on an issue? How do you handle stress?

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to lead in order to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You are payed according to the grade of the position you applied for.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Veteran Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – If you are a veteran you are pretty much a shoe in. Interview is quite straight forward, no unexpected questions. Just do the normal.. answer question with experience.

Interview Question – none: but this job is horrible. You are treated as a number, not a person. They don't give a crap about you. HR is pretty much useless.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They tell you what you will get.. you have to pull teeth to get higher.

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in March 2012.

Interview Details – The VA interviews on a system which is referred to as performance based interviewing (PBI). A Google search will yield a whole website dedicated to this style of Interviewing, hosted by the VA.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you had a conflict with a fellow employee and how you resolved it. Did you resolve the issue independently, through an intermediary, or with the assistance of a supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No salary negotiation.

Fee-basis Physician Interview

Fee-basis Physician

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – I was hired internally-just asked about responsibility, hours I wanted to work.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Veteran Service Representative
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2010.

Interview Details – Submit an online application and be sure to pay attention to the KSA questions, if you dont use key words that were in the question in your answer your application can get rejected by the computer.

Interview Question – What is one thing that your current employer, or former could say you didnt do well.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It took about 6 months, very back and forth because the government had to find funds.

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Medical Support Assistant
Columbia, SC

Interview Details – This can sometimes take 3+ months...I put in my application and then when they called I didn't remember applying...I did a telephone interview and was skeptical about doing one...it turned out good b/c I was selected.

Interview Question – One of the interviewers was hoarse so it was a little difficult to understand them...most of the questions were "Tell me about a time when..." kind of questions...not too nerve wracking   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one. I didn't know I could negotiate my salary at the time.

Many Interview

Many

Interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Interview Details – Utilize panel performance based interviews. Every question has 3-4 questions (parts). It can be tricky to answer all parts of the question. Interviews conducted via phone and/or in person.

Interview Question – PBI questions have several parts to them so can be tricky to answer every question within a question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – every job has a grade so pay is set--no negotiation