US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Medical Support Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I interviewed online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in January 2013.

Regardless of the job for which you're applying, write an extensive, LONG resume. One job per page - and fill each page with your responsibilities, accomplishments, how you overcame challenges, and how you contributed or improved your working environment. This isn't the private sector resume with bullet points! ELABORATE on your resume. You need to paint a picture for Human Resources so they know exactly who you are, how you managed your work day, and how you excelled or overcame challenges.

Also, follow the instructions on the job announcement. Include your employer, address, phone number, month & year of employment, full-time or part-time, and the number of hours you worked per week. Some managers conduct a phone interview first, so be prepared. Dress and professionally - whether on the phone or in person. Don't chew gum and don't smell like cigarettes. Be calm, confident, and tell the truth. They will find out if what you say is factual.

Interview Questions
    • Because this was a year ago, I don't recall the questions I was asked. Three people were present and everyone had a different question but the interaction was easy and no one intimidated me (thankfully).   Answer Question
    Federal government positions frequently have a set salary but some positions have more negotiation room than others.

Nurse Interview

Interview with Manager and Assistant manager, did have to wait quite a while but was acknowledged while waiting and frequent apologies offered due to the wait time. General questions asked as with most interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How would I diffuse a specific issue in which nobody gets what they want.   Answer Question
    No negotiation offered, you take what you get.

Special Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in October 2010.

My experience as a Schedule C appointee is probably different from the vast majority of people coming in through USAJobs. I sent my resume, received a call from the organization's chief of staff, interviewed with the Assistant Secretary later that week, and had a job offer the next day. Beyond that, because I had negotiated a different title from what the organization had in mind, I had to wait for a position description to be re-classified. This is one of those bureaucratic, slow moving things. I also had to begin a moderate background investigation. I was able to begin working about 6 weeks after being offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Expectation of knowing the agency's three priority goals. When I interviewed these were still being finalized but I was expected to still know and understand them.   Answer Question
    Because this is a federal position, there isn't much to negotiate. They matched my experience to the appropriate level on the GS scale. Most of the negotiating was about title (Which meant re-classification of a position description).

Cashier and Stocker for Canteen, Vending, and Store Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  North Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

The process took 3 days - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in April 2014.

The interview was gained my making copies of my resume at a national office supply store. The clerk there told me her husband was hiring in the Kitchen/Store. After get the specifics, I ran directly to the VA and presented my resume to the manager. I was asked to come back on Monday for an official interview. This area of the VA was self-sustaining, meaning they made their own money, they don't get it from the government. So, the job was explained as part-time max 60 hours per two weeks at less than $10 per hour. We discussed my professional resume. Basically I am overqualified because of my management and job experience, however we continued with the standardized questions that the manager read and noted on his computer. They were all the typical questions like tell me about a situation ABC and how did you handle it. There were about 15 questions, all about the same. The experience was standard, nothing unique from most other interviews. It is government work so everyone seemed disconnected a bit so they don't fray from any strict rules and such.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions was explain a conflict with a coworker, how did you handled it, and what was the outcome.   View Answer

Physician Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

applied online, 1 month to just get phone interview. not known of my status yet. hope to find in 3 months. after that will get a calll to see if i can have face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • phone interviews with three docs. now will wait for 3 months for HR to look and see if my file will go forward.   Answer Question

Staff Nurse Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Panel interview with potential manager and senior team members. It took place in the managers office and was comfortable. The manager was very honest about patient assignments, which can be as many as 7/nurse.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was more situational and scenario based. 2 question were extremely long and a few were redundant.   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2014.

I Applied on USAJOBS website on April 7, 2014. I received a telephone call to schedule a phone interview on April 30th. The phone call was followed by an email with the interview instructions. My interview was held on May 5. The email also requested that I submit a list of professional references.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a major change you experienced. How did you adapt to the change and what was the final outcome?   View Answer

Contract Specialist (GS-12) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hines, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hines, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in October 2013.

One lengthy side down interview. Focus was on long term investment and character, not so much contracting experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked if I would mind traveling. The job posting did not include traveling - but 3-4 years of 2-4 weeks of annual travel are required for a FAC-C certification. I would have liked to know this when I was applying.   View Answer
    I was a current VA employee so the pay raise was set in stone.

Regis Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in March 2014.

The interview process was very difficult and intimidating. There were two people asking you situational questions and it was so difficult to concentrate. I have been working as a RN for 25 years and never have I gone to a interview such as this.

Veterans Claims Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in July 2011.

As with most government jobs, you apply on USAJobs website. For this position, you would need prior experience in VA, such as at a Regional Office. My interview consisted of a phone conversation with three individuals on the staff that I was applying for. They asked approximately 10 behavioral type questions.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral interviews can be difficult in my view. If they ask a question such as - "describe a time when you didn't get along with your superior, what did you do, and what was the outcome?" - you may not have had a time when you didn't get along with your supervisor, so you have to essentially BS your way through the question.   Answer Question
    No negotiation