US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.8

Interview

Applied on Thursday (12/18) , Interview on Monday (12/22). Have not received an offer as of 12/30. Panel interview with 2 people. They asked 5 questions (see below) and then I was given the opportunity to ask questions and/or give any additional statements. After the interview, I had to give a computer-based writing sample. I had 30 minutes to answer the following question: Based on your knowledge of the job description, how will your strengths significantly impact the performance of this office?

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about a time you took leadership of an organizational change. What was successful/unsuccessful? Looking back, is there anything you would change? 2) Tell me about a time you had to get someone to accept a new idea. How did you go about it? What was the outcome? 3) Tell me about a time you had to tell someone something they didn't want to hear? What was the result? What would you change? 4) Tell me about a suggestion you have made to your supervisor in the past year. How did you come up with the ideas? What happened? How do you feel about the way things went? 5) Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision on your own. How did you go about it? When do you need to seek assistance? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Therapist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Orange, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (East Orange, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

Multiple director/manager in the interview, asked very personal questions with regards to why I never left current job, felt attacked, they did not appreciate or find it professional I had multiple questions for them, very difficult to schedule interview, not understanding of current difficulty requesting time off. Noted that current employees in department did not smile, greet or talk to me, did not seem to have good relationship with director. Was required to submit my current paycheck as verification of current salary that was submitted in May. When submitting paycheck I had blacked out my vacation/sick time as well as 401k deduction and insurance fees, HR demanded I send a new copy. Again completed in May I had called and emailed HR for reasoning of seeing all details of my paycheck. No response, it is now August. In the beginning of this process my offer letter stated the applicant or VA could formally with written letter withdraw offer, it is now August and no contact, 8 months later.

Interview Questions

• Why if you do not enjoy your current job have you not left earlier   Answer Question

Secretary Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2015.

Interview

It was quite simple - apparently I was the one they were looking for. My resume was complete and accurate and in good shape. I was prepared to be interviewed. It was a bit intimidating being the center of attention. There were 3 interviewers. I was called back for an interview with just my supervisor to be. Additionally, I was called back for a 3rd interview with the Assistant Secretary for Policy and Planning.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your strengths and weaknesses. This was rather easy, as I was prepared. I recommend that one always bring his / her resume to the interview, so that you can refer to it, if you are nervous. Also, be ready to take notes.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Inpatient Medical Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Pitts, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

Used Performance based interviewing. Was provided 5 questions on a sheet of paper and asked to answer in the "STAR" format. Could take notes if needed. Questions are designed to have you think back to your experiences in previous jobs and apply those situations to how you answer the questions

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you received negative feedback Describe a time when you did not agree with your supervisor   Answer Question

Certified Nursing Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Went to a job fair took an qualified exam test and filled out application. Was accepted to do an interview,Interview was filled with scenario based questions. We were asked to wait for a while so they can interview us and we talked with each other about it. They had us review the question prior before getting the interview.

Health Systems Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Longer then I expected to be contacted for interview. Panel of two supervisors with about 5 questions each. Basic interview questions for the most part. Waiting for them to initiate the background check.

Interview Questions

• What is the most stressful situation you have ever been in and how did you react?   Answer Question

Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview

Application, then phone or in-person interview about area of expertise with psychologists. The whole process was very similar across the different sites. Somewhat flexible on dates to interview as well.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Long process. Applied in December, official offer received the end of February. Well worth the wait. Great salary offer and the benefits are fantastic. My HR recruiter was wonderful-kept me informed about process. Highly recommend!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Offer is based on boarding package.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Montgomery, AL) in January 2015.

Interview

1 month after applying I got a letter for an interview that was a month away. 3 person panel interview with performance based questions. I was asked approximately 10 questions that were pb. 30 minute interview, interviewers were friendly. Waiting now to see if I get selected for the 2nd interview. Got a call 2 days after interview letting me know I was going to be invited back for 2nd interview in 2 weeks!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a difficult situation & how you went about handling it. How would you handle an irate client? Tell me what you think is the most important aspect of working on a team. Tell me how you manage admistrative responsibilities & how you prioritize them. Do you really want to work here?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was conducted in a manner every expert recommends not to do. A "bum rush" of board members reviewing who was going to ask the cookie cut questions not relevant to the line of work a potential selectee is applying for. Able to use the opportunity to prepare for a different career opportunity.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a disruptive customer?   1 Answer

See What US Department of Veterans Affairs Employees Are Saying

Current Psychology Technician in West Haven, CT

Pros: “The benefits are on point. Health insurance, although not free, is pretty awesome. I have had the opportunity to choose my doctors, and seldom have a co-pay (one of my specialists, whom I...”“The benefits are on point. Health insurance, although not free, is pretty awesome. I have had the opportunity to choose my doctors, and seldom have a co-pay (one of my specialists, whom I see monthly, has a $30 co-pay). Medications copays are under $10 (usually less than $5). Retirement savings opportunities are great, and matched by the government. Vacation time given is greater than most other companies, and "sick days" are earned separately. For both vacation and sick days, they are awarded in hours per pay period, and the amount they give you increases as you go up the ladder. Currently, I earn 4 hours of vacation and 4 hours of sick leave per pay period, which is not bad.” – Full Review