US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.8

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Overall it was relatively quick process. I got an offer after 3 weeks of job announcement submission. I got a phone call for an interview in 2 weeks and I had 2 interviews in 3 weeks.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coatesville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coatesville, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

If you are not related dont even bother you have to be a family member and if you do get in and do not sleep around you will be attacked all management is corrupt and together on one thing and that is to further themselves

No negotion

Staff Pharmacist Interview

Initial application is long. If you pass the initial evaluation, you will be narrowed to select canidates. You will then be interviewed by Supervisor, clinical staff, and/or other staff Pharmacists

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are background experience and scenario based answers   View Answer

Nurse Interview

Interview with Manager and Assistant manager, did have to wait quite a while but was acknowledged while waiting and frequent apologies offered due to the wait time. General questions asked as with most interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How would I diffuse a specific issue in which nobody gets what they want.   Answer Question
    No negotiation offered, you take what you get.

Physician Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

applied online, 1 month to just get phone interview. not known of my status yet. hope to find in 3 months. after that will get a calll to see if i can have face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • phone interviews with three docs. now will wait for 3 months for HR to look and see if my file will go forward.   Answer Question

Staff Nurse Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Panel interview with potential manager and senior team members. It took place in the managers office and was comfortable. The manager was very honest about patient assignments, which can be as many as 7/nurse.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was more situational and scenario based. 2 question were extremely long and a few were redundant.   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2014.

I Applied on USAJOBS website on April 7, 2014. I received a telephone call to schedule a phone interview on April 30th. The phone call was followed by an email with the interview instructions. My interview was held on May 5. The email also requested that I submit a list of professional references.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a major change you experienced. How did you adapt to the change and what was the final outcome?   View Answer

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

If you are a veteran you are pretty much a shoe in. Interview is quite straight forward, no unexpected questions. Just do the normal.. answer question with experience.

Interview Questions
    • none: but this job is horrible. You are treated as a number, not a person. They don't give a crap about you. HR is pretty much useless.   Answer Question
    They tell you what you will get.. you have to pull teeth to get higher.

Administrative Assistant/MSA Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Received a call for interview at the VA. Scheduled a time and was interviewed by two people in the first round. General behavioral questions: what are your goals, how do you work in a team, etc. Second round, I was interviewed by more senior staff and they asked me much the same types of behavioral question. They were more scenario oriented: How do you manage a person who cannot see your point of view on an issue? How do you handle stress?

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to lead in order to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You are payed according to the grade of the position you applied for.

Cashier and Stocker for Canteen, Vending, and Store Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Las Vegas, NV

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in April 2014.

The interview was gained my making copies of my resume at a national office supply store. The clerk there told me her husband was hiring in the Kitchen/Store. After get the specifics, I ran directly to the VA and presented my resume to the manager. I was asked to come back on Monday for an official interview. This area of the VA was self-sustaining, meaning they made their own money, they don't get it from the government. So, the job was explained as part-time max 60 hours per two weeks at less than $10 per hour. We discussed my professional resume. Basically I am overqualified because of my management and job experience, however we continued with the standardized questions that the manager read and noted on his computer. They were all the typical questions like tell me about a situation ABC and how did you handle it. There were about 15 questions, all about the same. The experience was standard, nothing unique from most other interviews. It is government work so everyone seemed disconnected a bit so they don't fray from any strict rules and such.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions was explain a conflict with a coworker, how did you handled it, and what was the outcome.   View Answer