US Department of Veterans Affairs Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014
Updated Sep 28, 2014

2.8

Medical Support Assistant Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2013.

Phone interview, and then a one to one interview, background check and orientation. I waitied a few months for all of the paperwork to go through. There was a panel of three people who were conducting the interviewing portion of the position.

N.A

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2013.

Applied for position in September via USAJOBS website. Referred as qualified 2 weeks later. Phone interview was conducted first week of November. Received tentative offer November 19th, this offer was pending my fingerprints and PPD skin test. Received firm offer on December 3rd. Start date will be December 15th.

I was told this was very short compared to how long it usually takes to get hired at a VA facility.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was, "Have you ever judged someone who had a mental handicap"?

Just stick to your application and make sure it's 100 percent true. Do that and your interview will be just fine.
        Answer Question
    Did not negotiate, I was very pleased with the offer.

Contract Specialist (GS-12) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hines, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hines, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in October 2013.

One lengthy side down interview. Focus was on long term investment and character, not so much contracting experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked if I would mind traveling. The job posting did not include traveling - but 3-4 years of 2-4 weeks of annual travel are required for a FAC-C certification. I would have liked to know this when I was applying.   View Answer
    I was a current VA employee so the pay raise was set in stone.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The Interview was easy and straight forward. Few technical questions and more questions about situations I have encountered and how I handled them and some personality questions.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations.

Therapy Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Applied about 1 month later. Interview questions were straight forward. How would you handle this?...experience with this?...etc

Interview Questions
    • None really, I did research so was prepared for the questions.   Answer Question

I was offered a scholarship to continue my education, which wouldn't allow for a move.

Medical Reimbursement Technician Interview

Fill application on USA Jobs. Contacted by HR for references and finger printing. Hired the following week. No interview.

Was unable to negotiate

Physician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2013.

Phone interview

Biomedical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2013.

The interview was very straight forward with typical questions expected of a government job. Examples-- What have you had to overcome in the past? When have you had to display leadership in an unexpected situation? What experiences have you to be the person you are today? Are you prepared to move where you're needed?

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example of an adverse event or experience and explain how you overcame this obstacle?   Answer Question

Biomedical Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Applied through USAjobs. Heard back a little over a month later to set up a phone interview with 4 HR and BME employees. Interview was somewhat difficult since most questions were multipart and no feedback was given. Interview questions were mostly from the sample questions section of the VA website and were related to whatever the duties of the engineer were going to be. It's been a month since my interview so I assume that they chose someone else, but you never know with government agencies.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time that you had a disagreement with a co-worker. How did you handle it? What was the outcome? What would you have done differently.   Answer Question

Management and Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Augusta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2013.

easy interview and standard behavior questions; 3 people panel;1 hour meeting;be yourself;get familiar with the job description and resume;be personal;if you know the top ten interview questions, you will be able to do well in the interview.