US Department of Veterans Affairs

2.8

Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Biloxi, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Biloxi, MS

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Hiring process is difficult and slow, be sure you submit all paperwork requirements correctly or your application will be kicked out by HR and never sent to the hiring source. While it's difficult and time consuming it is definitely worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions are situational based, most difficult part of applying is the application process itself.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation process.

Social Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Phone interview with a panel of social workers. Asked performance based questions. Questions had 2 and 3 parts to the question. Try to be clear and give past examples. You are allowed to ask questions and ask them to repeat the question.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you had to work in a team? What did you contribute? What was the outcome. Fairly easy questions.   Answer Question

Had a local offer

Staff RN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in December 2013.

I applied for the job in October 2013 and was contacted for an interview November and my interview was the following week. I thought the process would take much longer, but it was actually pretty fast. After my interview, I contacted the POC 2 weeks later to follow up and to also let them know that I was still very much interested in the position. The board met on the 17th and was notified last Friday that I got one of the PCU positions. I haven't received an offer letter yet. I should be rated as Nurse 1 level 3, but not sure about which step.

Interview Questions
    • The interview itself wasn't difficult. I knew what questions to review and they were word for word.   Answer Question

Facility Chief Logistics Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in December 2013.

It took nearly 30 days from the position closing and referral to receive a call regarding an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that others depended on you and you did not deliver. What impact did it have and what would you do differently?   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

First interview with supervisor of area where I will work (Monday). A second interview with deputy director (Friday of same week). Each interview was an hour. Tentative offer via phone from HR (following Monday), Tentative offer in writing via email (Thursday). Given one day to complete and return a small amount of forms (Friday). I am awaiting a firm offer. I have never in my 25 years of Government service been exposed to a hiring process this expedited. Very impressive.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you handled a situation where you dealt with a difficult employee or customer. Describe the nature of the problem, the outcome, and why and how you chose the method of resolution to deal with the issue.   View Answer
    There is very little, if any, negotiation with the Federal Government.

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview in federal building. Structured interview with 7 PBI questions. They wanted examples of past work and background of written communication, oral communication, biggest success, biggest challenge, how you deal with irate customers and clients, greatest weakness and why you want to work there. Interview panel was 2 types 1) overworked and 2) bored.

Interview Questions
    • "Give us an example of a time when you spoke effectively in public."   Answer Question

Medical Support Assistant Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2013.

Phone interview, and then a one to one interview, background check and orientation. I waitied a few months for all of the paperwork to go through. There was a panel of three people who were conducting the interviewing portion of the position.

N.A

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2013.

Applied for position in September via USAJOBS website. Referred as qualified 2 weeks later. Phone interview was conducted first week of November. Received tentative offer November 19th, this offer was pending my fingerprints and PPD skin test. Received firm offer on December 3rd. Start date will be December 15th.

I was told this was very short compared to how long it usually takes to get hired at a VA facility.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was, "Have you ever judged someone who had a mental handicap"?

Just stick to your application and make sure it's 100 percent true. Do that and your interview will be just fine.
        Answer Question
    Did not negotiate, I was very pleased with the offer.

Contract Specialist (GS-12) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hines, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hines, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in October 2013.

One lengthy side down interview. Focus was on long term investment and character, not so much contracting experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked if I would mind traveling. The job posting did not include traveling - but 3-4 years of 2-4 weeks of annual travel are required for a FAC-C certification. I would have liked to know this when I was applying.   View Answer
    I was a current VA employee so the pay raise was set in stone.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The Interview was easy and straight forward. Few technical questions and more questions about situations I have encountered and how I handled them and some personality questions.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations.