US Department of Veterans Affairs
www.vacareers.va.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

US Department of Veterans Affairs Veteran Service Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated May 28, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Veteran Service Representative

I applied through other source and interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – Put into position by as a veteran getting work under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). Went through the standard couple of days on how to conduct business on the job.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Veteran Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Interview Details – If you are a veteran you are pretty much a shoe in. Interview is quite straight forward, no unexpected questions. Just do the normal.. answer question with experience.

Interview Question – none: but this job is horrible. You are treated as a number, not a person. They don't give a crap about you. HR is pretty much useless.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They tell you what you will get.. you have to pull teeth to get higher.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2010.

Interview Details – Submit an online application and be sure to pay attention to the KSA questions, if you dont use key words that were in the question in your answer your application can get rejected by the computer.

Interview Question – What is one thing that your current employer, or former could say you didnt do well.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It took about 6 months, very back and forth because the government had to find funds.

Veterans Service Representative Interview

Veterans Service Representative
Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2010.

Interview Details – The application process was online and fairly in depth. It required lots of documents to upload, and several questions to answer. Some questions were in the form of essay. There was no phone interview. I received an invitation to conduct an on site interview, which consisted of a three person panel and they asked a total of 5 questions (not 5 questions each).

Interview Question – Who would you like to meet and why? Response had to be as close to 50 words as possible   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations possible since its a government job

Veterans Service Representative Interview

Veterans Service Representative
Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2008.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair at the regional office for the Veterans Service Representative position. Dozens of people were present for an interview and those waiting were seated in a large room watching a looping video about VA.

The interview itself consisted of a presentation and discussion of my resume. The discussion involved my previous work experience, work related skills, and membership in outside organizations. The job I was applying for was explained and we compared and contrasted the duties with those of my previous positions.

Once the interview was over, my interviewer wrote some remarks on a sheet of paper and referred me to another room to complete a job application. All federal jobs are applied for online at a public website and this was no exception. I was given a position number to get to the application immediately. I had already applied for federal positions, so I had an account and pre-made resume in the system. Those without an account would have to make one and build a resume at this time before proceeding to the application.

The application took about a half hour to complete and involved multiple choice questions about job experiences and personality traits. There were also some written questions. Having previously applied for federal positions, I was used to the system and familiar with similar questions. Those new to the experience would likely take longer to complete the application.

Upon submitting my application, I went home. I received a call three days later offering me the position. I accepted and reported to work a week later. I then had to complete many more paper forms, as is done with most employers, and complete an online form for a background investigation.

Interview Question – Are you able to handle, organize, and complete large and often complex collections of work?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The job starts at a set pay-grade and progresses to a set pay-grade, as with most federal jobs. People fresh out of college with a bachelor's degree earn exactly the same amount as retired military officers with two master's degrees who have spent 20 years in private industry. All employees are afforded the same potential for pay-grade increases as well. This position starts at a GS-7 pay-grade and progresses to GS-9 and GS-10 one and two years later, assuming the employee meets the required performance standards.

Veteran Service Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in March 2010.

Interview Details – I went to a military Job Fair. I applied. A week later I was called for an interview. A week after that I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Have you dealt with stressful situations and if so how did you go about handling them?   Answer Question
  • Please demonstrate you writing skills by writing a short essay.   Answer Question

Veteran Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview questions were a lot different than I have ever experienced. Some of the questions were like whats the difference between fair and just. None of the questions dealt with the job or with what you had to bring to the table.

Interview Question – In your own words what is the difference between Fair and Just.   Answer Question

Veteran Service Representative

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online for the position. After a week, I received an email stating that they forwarded my application to the Veterans Affairs. Then after a week, I got a phone call for the interview. Interview was mostly performance and personality questions and your previous job. Just be calm and be confident on your responses.

Interview Question – Why do you want the job?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!

US Department of Veterans Affairs Videos

US Department of Veterans Affairs – Why Work for Us?

About VA Careers Department of Veterans Affairs offers Veterans the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the United States. We operate more than 1,400 sites of care, including… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Department of Veterans Affairs Veteran Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Department of Veterans Affairs employees and interview candidates.