US Department of Veterans Affairs

www.vacareers.va.gov
Employer Engaged

US Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2015
Updated Feb 13, 2015

Veteran Service Representative Interview

Applied on Thursday (12/18) , Interview on Monday (12/22). Have not received an offer as of 12/30.

Panel interview with 2 people. They asked 5 questions (see below) and then I was given the opportunity to ask questions and/or give any additional statements.

After the interview, I had to give a computer-based writing sample. I had 30 minutes to answer the following question:

Based on your knowledge of the job description, how will your strengths significantly impact the performance of this office?

Interview Questions
  • 1) Tell me about a time you took leadership of an organizational change. What was successful/unsuccessful? Looking back, is there anything you would change?

2) Tell me about a time you had to get someone to accept a new idea. How did you go about it? What was the outcome?

3) Tell me about a time you had to tell someone something they didn't want to hear? What was the result? What would you change?

4) Tell me about a suggestion you have made to your supervisor in the past year. How did you come up with the ideas? What happened? How do you feel about the way things went?

5) Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision on your own. How did you go about it? When do you need to seek assistance? What was the outcome?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in January 2015.

1 month after applying I got a letter for an interview that was a month away. 3 person panel interview with performance based questions. I was asked approximately 10 questions that were pb. 30 minute interview, interviewers were friendly. Waiting now to see if I get selected for the 2nd interview. Got a call 2 days after interview letting me know I was going to be invited back for 2nd interview in 2 weeks!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a difficult situation & how you went about handling it.
      How would you handle an irate client?
      Tell me what you think is the most important aspect of working on a team.
      Tell me how you manage admistrative responsibilities & how you prioritize them.
      Do you really want to work here?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in December 2014.

Applied online via USAjobs and was called a little over a month later. Scheduled the interview for the next day, first thing in the morning. I was asked to fill out some paperwork first then interviewed in person with a two person panel. They asked me five performance based interview questions which were not specific to the position, just general questions regarding past employment situations. Finally, a writing sample required.

Interview Questions
    • Performance based questions (name a time when you..., action taken, outcome).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The telephonic interview was basic. There were two people on the panel.
    They asked what does integrity mean to you?
    Describe the type of worker you are in three words and explain each word?
    Why do you want to work for the VA?
    After the interview I received an email with to timed test (written and analytical)

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Apply online via USAJobs. Typicl interview questions for almost all VA positions. Performance/Behavioral based questions - example give me an example of a time you....what was the result...what would you have improved...

Interview Questions
    • Asked to provide a time you failed and what you could do better next time. Odd question to ask.   Answer Question
    No negation. You take what they offer or they'll give it to someone else. Period.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Put into position by as a veteran getting work under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). Went through the standard couple of days on how to conduct business on the job.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

If you are a veteran you are pretty much a shoe in. Interview is quite straight forward, no unexpected questions. Just do the normal.. answer question with experience.

Interview Questions
    • none: but this job is horrible. You are treated as a number, not a person. They don't give a crap about you. HR is pretty much useless.   Answer Question
    They tell you what you will get.. you have to pull teeth to get higher.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2012.

I applied online and received email that my resume was being forwarded to the hiring panel. This email arrived about two weeks after I submitted the application. I received an interview about 3 months later. I was offered the job by phone about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • I had a panel interview of 3 people and there were 3 interview questions. I remember one of them asking me about a time I made a mistake and what I learned from it. I was also required to perform a writing sample. I was given the acronym ICARE and asked to pick one of the letters and write about what it means to me. I chose the letter "R", which stood for "respect" and wrote a page on it.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was provided an offer and I accepted it.

Veterans Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2011.

Very quick. Applied online through USAJobs, got a call to schedule an in-person interview. The interview had five questions - very little unprogrammed discussion. There was a brief written exercise at the end, aimed at gauging overall written communication skills.

Interview Questions
    • Please discuss a time you were asked to adapt to a change over which you had no control - how did you handle it, and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2010.

Submit an online application and be sure to pay attention to the KSA questions, if you dont use key words that were in the question in your answer your application can get rejected by the computer.

Interview Questions
    • What is one thing that your current employer, or former could say you didnt do well.   Answer Question
    It took about 6 months, very back and forth because the government had to find funds.