US Department of Veterans Affairs

www.vacareers.va.gov
  www.vacareers.va.gov

US Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.9

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The telephonic interview was basic. There were two people on the panel.
They asked what does integrity mean to you?
Describe the type of worker you are in three words and explain each word?
Why do you want to work for the VA?
After the interview I received an email with to timed test (written and analytical)

Other Interview Reviews for US Department of Veterans Affairs

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Apply online via USAJobs. Typicl interview questions for almost all VA positions. Performance/Behavioral based questions - example give me an example of a time you....what was the result...what would you have improved...

Interview Questions
    • Asked to provide a time you failed and what you could do better next time. Odd question to ask.   Answer Question
    No negation. You take what they offer or they'll give it to someone else. Period.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Put into position by as a veteran getting work under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). Went through the standard couple of days on how to conduct business on the job.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

If you are a veteran you are pretty much a shoe in. Interview is quite straight forward, no unexpected questions. Just do the normal.. answer question with experience.

Interview Questions
    • none: but this job is horrible. You are treated as a number, not a person. They don't give a crap about you. HR is pretty much useless.   Answer Question
    They tell you what you will get.. you have to pull teeth to get higher.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2012.

I applied online and received email that my resume was being forwarded to the hiring panel. This email arrived about two weeks after I submitted the application. I received an interview about 3 months later. I was offered the job by phone about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • I had a panel interview of 3 people and there were 3 interview questions. I remember one of them asking me about a time I made a mistake and what I learned from it. I was also required to perform a writing sample. I was given the acronym ICARE and asked to pick one of the letters and write about what it means to me. I chose the letter "R", which stood for "respect" and wrote a page on it.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was provided an offer and I accepted it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in November 2010.

Submit an online application and be sure to pay attention to the KSA questions, if you dont use key words that were in the question in your answer your application can get rejected by the computer.

Interview Questions
    • What is one thing that your current employer, or former could say you didnt do well.   Answer Question
    It took about 6 months, very back and forth because the government had to find funds.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in September 2010.

The application process was online and fairly in depth. It required lots of documents to upload, and several questions to answer. Some questions were in the form of essay. There was no phone interview. I received an invitation to conduct an on site interview, which consisted of a three person panel and they asked a total of 5 questions (not 5 questions each).

Interview Questions
    • Who would you like to meet and why? Response had to be as close to 50 words as possible   Answer Question
    No negotiations possible since its a government job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2008.

I went to a job fair at the regional office for the Veterans Service Representative position. Dozens of people were present for an interview and those waiting were seated in a large room watching a looping video about VA.

The interview itself consisted of a presentation and discussion of my resume. The discussion involved my previous work experience, work related skills, and membership in outside organizations. The job I was applying for was explained and we compared and contrasted the duties with those of my previous positions.

Once the interview was over, my interviewer wrote some remarks on a sheet of paper and referred me to another room to complete a job application. All federal jobs are applied for online at a public website and this was no exception. I was given a position number to get to the application immediately. I had already applied for federal positions, so I had an account and pre-made resume in the system. Those without an account would have to make one and build a resume at this time before proceeding to the application.

The application took about a half hour to complete and involved multiple choice questions about job experiences and personality traits. There were also some written questions. Having previously applied for federal positions, I was used to the system and familiar with similar questions. Those new to the experience would likely take longer to complete the application.

Upon submitting my application, I went home. I received a call three days later offering me the position. I accepted and reported to work a week later. I then had to complete many more paper forms, as is done with most employers, and complete an online form for a background investigation.

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to handle, organize, and complete large and often complex collections of work?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. The job starts at a set pay-grade and progresses to a set pay-grade, as with most federal jobs. People fresh out of college with a bachelor's degree earn exactly the same amount as retired military officers with two master's degrees who have spent 20 years in private industry. All employees are afforded the same potential for pay-grade increases as well. This position starts at a GS-7 pay-grade and progresses to GS-9 and GS-10 one and two years later, assuming the employee meets the required performance standards.

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2011.

The interview questions were a lot different than I have ever experienced. Some of the questions were like whats the difference between fair and just. None of the questions dealt with the job or with what you had to bring to the table.

Interview Questions
    • In your own words what is the difference between Fair and Just.   Answer Question

Veteran Service Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in March 2010.

I went to a military Job Fair. I applied. A week later I was called for an interview. A week after that I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Have you dealt with stressful situations and if so how did you go about handling them?   Answer Question
    • Please demonstrate you writing skills by writing a short essay.   Answer Question