US Department of Veterans Affairs

2.9

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The Interview was easy and straight forward. Few technical questions and more questions about situations I have encountered and how I handled them and some personality questions.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations.

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2013.

Applied for position through USAjobs.gov. Announcement closed on 7/9/2013, interviewed in mid-August 2013. The interview was an in-person panel interview, approximately five people. Received offer 9/2/2013. Original start date was 9/22/2014. Due to the government furlough, I didn't start until Oct 21,2013

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult. All questions asked where performance based interviewing questions i.e. " tell me about a time when..." There were approximately seven questions.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiated due to previous federal experience. Job opportunity announcement ( JOA) was for status candidates- I was reinstated as a former federal employee and to previous general schedule (GS) grade.

Senior Operations Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2013.

They had multiple rounds of interviews. The first interview involved a director, the direct supervisor (section chief), and one of the individuals working in the group that I would be joining. They asked several questions mostly to make sure you know your basics and a few tougher ones to undersrtand how you think

Interview Questions
    • They asked some of the typical investment banker interview questions. I think they just want to make sure you can 1) think 2) won't crack under pressure (people really have just walked out).   View Answer
    There was none and they probably would've pulled my offer if I pushed it

Special Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in February 2012.

Use usajobs.gov or check with your academic institution's Career Services office for special hiring programs for which you might qualiy.

Interview Questions
    There is very little negotiation in government hiring. It doesn't hurt to try for another step or two--google for the federal pay scale. But things are pretty standard.

Veterans Claims Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in July 2011.

As with most government jobs, you apply on USAJobs website. For this position, you would need prior experience in VA, such as at a Regional Office. My interview consisted of a phone conversation with three individuals on the staff that I was applying for. They asked approximately 10 behavioral type questions.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral interviews can be difficult in my view. If they ask a question such as - "describe a time when you didn't get along with your superior, what did you do, and what was the outcome?" - you may not have had a time when you didn't get along with your supervisor, so you have to essentially BS your way through the question.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Special Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in October 2010.

My experience as a Schedule C appointee is probably different from the vast majority of people coming in through USAJobs. I sent my resume, received a call from the organization's chief of staff, interviewed with the Assistant Secretary later that week, and had a job offer the next day. Beyond that, because I had negotiated a different title from what the organization had in mind, I had to wait for a position description to be re-classified. This is one of those bureaucratic, slow moving things. I also had to begin a moderate background investigation. I was able to begin working about 6 weeks after being offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Expectation of knowing the agency's three priority goals. When I interviewed these were still being finalized but I was expected to still know and understand them.   Answer Question
    Because this is a federal position, there isn't much to negotiate. They matched my experience to the appropriate level on the GS scale. Most of the negotiating was about title (Which meant re-classification of a position description).

Former Registered Nurse Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in June 2010.

Interviewed my skills in nursing in ICU

Interview Questions
    • Do I know how to work with 48 nurses to do in services   Answer Question

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in May 2010.

application then telephonic interview

Interview Questions
    • Understanding and input for strategic plan for the future to improve dellivery of services to our veterans   View Answer
    eay

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Department of Veterans Affairs in August 2008.

Interviewed with a panel of three managers. The interview was very relaxed. It was over the phone as I lived across the country at the time. I prepared for the interview by writing out potential questions and answers, which really helped.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work with the VA?   Answer Question
    • How do you typically handle agressive or offensive personalities in the workplace?   Answer Question
    I did not do much negotiation; although I did ask, during the interview, what my chances of being offerred the job were. I was virtually guaranteed an offer, contingent on HR background check.