US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Specialist Interview

Project Specialist
Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan in April 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring process is via website mied.uscourts.gov; salaries are based on 'grade levels'. Current freeze and staff reduction with furlough days thus reducing salary.

Interviewing depends on Agency or Departmental Manager however most are either group or multiple interviewers. Most positions now require college degrees.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions nor difficult if you know the subject matter. The hardest questions would be situational and those should be well thought out and positive in response.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a little more money ($5K) and got half. Negotiations are limited based on the salary level for the positions specific grade.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Project Specialist Interview

Project Specialist
Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan in February 2008.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a panel of managers that I would be providing services for. It was very well put together. I also had to generate work samples. Everyone regardless of the position applied for has to take a Wonderlic test - quite funny - not hard. It was pass / fail so you never know what you scored. I thought the position description, entire process, and the staff I met was excellent. I received very meaningful insight and got to meet those that I would be doing work for.

Interview Question – It was not a question but rather develop a plan for the Court. No specific information or scenarios were given.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate within the posted pay range listed on the job requirement. Jobs for most public positions and within the federal sector are governed by job classification and steps within the classification so increases when given fall within the step increases. Bonuses are pretty much non existent however the judiciary is implementing a performance plan which could lead to small bonuses or bigger step increases but I do not have confidence that this will be fully implemented like the private sector.

The process can and does differ from district to district based on the autonomous structure.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan employees and interview candidates.