US Geological Survey

13 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Biological Science Technician Interview

Biological Science Technician

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview Details – Depending on timing (ie, spring, summer, fall )there can be anywhere from a just a couple to several hundred applicants for the same position. Be sure to contact the hiring person at least once. However, do not be annoying in your attempts as it can be off putting. You need to be sure your name is recognized but only in a good way.

Interview Question – Be aware that some questions are tailored to highly specific situations. Often their are only a handful of people qualified to answer these questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is not much negotiating for work with the federal government. Salaries are open and generally set before the hiring process begins.

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Office Automation Clerk
Reston, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at US Geological Survey in February 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very easy. I only had one phone interview with my current supervisor. The phone interview lasted quite a while but there wasn't anything too out of the ordinary. they were all basic interview questions. It didn't feel like an interview though, it really felt more like a conversation than anything else.

Interview Question – Why did you choose your major in college? What do you love about it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, but the amount was way more than what I was expecting.

Very Easy Interview

Contract Specialist Interview

Contract Specialist
Reston, VA

I applied online and interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview Details – one on one interview. No structured question. The on board time was fairly quick; less than a month. Very easy transition from agency to agency. Overall it was a very easy and simple process

Interview Question – There were no structured interview questions. You were mainly just asked to tell them about yourself and your work experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Louisville, KY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview Details – Very relaxed interview. Just wanted to get to know me and talk about my educational experience

Interview Question – Don't really remember there being any difficult questions   Answer Question

Reston, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at US Geological Survey in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through USAJobs. It took about 2.5 months before my application was forwarded and I was contacted for an interview. The first interview was a phone interview of approximately 1hr. We discussed my experience, the on-going projects and job requirements, and I was asked some standard interview questions. It was all very straightforward. One week later I was invited to come see the facility and meet the extended research team for a second interview. I was verbally offered the position before I left the second interview. I cannot speak to the rest of the hiring process as it is still ongoing.

Interview Question – 1) Describe your personality
2) Provide an example of how you learn in the lab
  Answer Question

Interviewed at US Geological Survey

Interview Details – The interview process was interesting for me, as I was a student when I applied through school. I got interviewed by two lovely hydrologists but they did not think I had enough experience for their project so they recommended me to someone else. I did not know this at the time though so I waited about two weeks and then called two or three times, and then they handed me off to the other hydrologist. I had another brief interview and then began the the hiring process. The hiring process is relatively straightforward as long as you keep moving forward with the tasks that you need to do, such as filling out the proper paperwork to get security clearance and getting a physical.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was the ol' "What is your biggest weakness?"   Answer Question

Physical Science Technician Interview

Physical Science Technician

I applied through other source and interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview Details – I was nominated to apply based on my performance at an undergraduate field course in geology. after being nominated, I submitted a cover letter, official transcripts to the NAGT. From there, I was matched with four potential projects and completed phone interviews with each project director. I was selected for two, chose one and then had to complete hiring materials for employment with the federal government (fingerprinting at location over 1 hr. away, extremely detailed employment history, surveys pertaining to my character sent to 3 different acquaintances).

Interview Question – most questions were about my academic/professional goals and what I hoped to get out of the internship. Emphasis was also placed on discussion of my past research/field/lab experiences   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was an internship and I was hired at the standard level of GS-5.

Chemist Interview

Chemist
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at US Geological Survey in March 2012.

Interview Details – Slow process, as with all government jobs. You can't just be a regular American applicant, you have to be a veteran or disabled to get an interview.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Reston, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at US Geological Survey in March 2009.

Interview Details – Makle sure your resume has the same criteria and language found in the job announcement. Two interviews, can sometimes be more. A few weeks to a couple of months to come on depending on how long and what kind of clearence is needed for the position.

Interview Question – What is a conflict or issue you had to face and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Scientist

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at US Geological Survey.

Interview Details – Must apply through USAjobs.com. However, it helps immensely to have an inside contact.

Interview Question – None - questions are straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonexistent - completely dependent upon education and years of experience.

Worked for US Geological Survey? Contribute to the Community!