US Geological Survey

www.usgs.gov

US Geological Survey Interview Questions

2.8

Biological Science Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Geological Survey.

Depending on timing (ie, spring, summer, fall )there can be anywhere from a just a couple to several hundred applicants for the same position. Be sure to contact the hiring person at least once. However, do not be annoying in your attempts as it can be off putting. You need to be sure your name is recognized but only in a good way.

Interview Questions
    • Be aware that some questions are tailored to highly specific situations. Often their are only a handful of people qualified to answer these questions.   Answer Question
    There is not much negotiating for work with the federal government. Salaries are open and generally set before the hiring process begins.

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online – interviewed at US Geological Survey.

one on one interview. No structured question. The on board time was fairly quick; less than a month. Very easy transition from agency to agency. Overall it was a very easy and simple process

Interview Questions
    • There were no structured interview questions. You were mainly just asked to tell them about yourself and your work experience   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at US Geological Survey.

Very relaxed interview. Just wanted to get to know me and talk about my educational experience

Interview Questions
    • Don't really remember there being any difficult questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Geological Survey in March 2014.

I applied through USAJobs. It took about 2.5 months before my application was forwarded and I was contacted for an interview. The first interview was a phone interview of approximately 1hr. We discussed my experience, the on-going projects and job requirements, and I was asked some standard interview questions. It was all very straightforward. One week later I was invited to come see the facility and meet the extended research team for a second interview. I was verbally offered the position before I left the second interview. I cannot speak to the rest of the hiring process as it is still ongoing.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Describe your personality
      2) Provide an example of how you learn in the lab

Answer Question

Hydrologic Technician Interview

The interview process was interesting for me, as I was a student when I applied through school. I got interviewed by two lovely hydrologists but they did not think I had enough experience for their project so they recommended me to someone else. I did not know this at the time though so I waited about two weeks and then called two or three times, and then they handed me off to the other hydrologist. I had another brief interview and then began the the hiring process. The hiring process is relatively straightforward as long as you keep moving forward with the tasks that you need to do, such as filling out the proper paperwork to get security clearance and getting a physical.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was the ol' "What is your biggest weakness?"   Answer Question

Physical Science Technician Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at US Geological Survey.

I was nominated to apply based on my performance at an undergraduate field course in geology. after being nominated, I submitted a cover letter, official transcripts to the NAGT. From there, I was matched with four potential projects and completed phone interviews with each project director. I was selected for two, chose one and then had to complete hiring materials for employment with the federal government (fingerprinting at location over 1 hr. away, extremely detailed employment history, surveys pertaining to my character sent to 3 different acquaintances).

Interview Questions
    • most questions were about my academic/professional goals and what I hoped to get out of the internship. Emphasis was also placed on discussion of my past research/field/lab experiences   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It was an internship and I was hired at the standard level of GS-5.

Scientist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at US Geological Survey.

Must apply through USAjobs.com. However, it helps immensely to have an inside contact.

Interview Questions
    Nonexistent - completely dependent upon education and years of experience.

Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Geological Survey in March 2012.

Slow process, as with all government jobs. You can't just be a regular American applicant, you have to be a veteran or disabled to get an interview.

No negotiation

Office Automation Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Geological Survey in February 2012.

The hiring process was very easy. I only had one phone interview with my current supervisor. The phone interview lasted quite a while but there wasn't anything too out of the ordinary. they were all basic interview questions. It didn't feel like an interview though, it really felt more like a conversation than anything else.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose your major in college? What do you love about it?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, but the amount was way more than what I was expecting.

Animal Care Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at US Geological Survey in April 2011.

Basically, the only way to apply for Federal jobs is through the usajobs.gov website. I have found it difficult to nearly impossible to get through this initial screen of candidates even for jobs I feel I am very well qualified for and able to provide excellent answers for. Once you get through this process, however, I have learned from discussions with others that the hiring process varies widely.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what you believe to be the difference between animal rights and animal welfare, and your opinions on the two.   Answer Question