US Indian Health Service Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

1.5

Nurse Practitioner Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service.

Interview

Received a call 1 day after responding to an online post for the job. The woman who called seemed to know very little about the position and stated I should fill out a bunch of papers asap to start the process. Received the papers and one of them is a contract which I didn't feel comfortable signing as 1-it's mostly blank and 2- I haven't discussed anything in terms of compensation, interview process, living arrangements and the bottom of the contract states that once signed the contract is binding for you to fulfill the time period mentioned (one of the blank spots BTW). Apparently there is no interview process and you cannot tour the site or speak with anyone who works there. The recruiter stated this is because it is government property (I have no idea if this is true or not). Originally they had offered $45 per hour but this was lowered to $38. No specifics about housing. She said she would write my questions down and get back to me, which is why I started scouting out reviews as she seemed unprepared, somewhat pushy and unprofessional (she yawned loudly on the phone while talking to me!!!).

Interview Questions

• only questions about my experience but very little of that, no true interview questions   Answer Question

IT Specialist Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service (Rockville, MD) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied as an Indian Preference candidate at headquarters in Rockville, MD. After being rated as Highly Qualified, I received a phone call inviting me in for an interview. I interviewed with two people; the department manager and his backup. During the interview, the department manager mentioned he was attempting to get "his contractors" hired; however, whenever he advertised a job, an "IP" (indian preference) candidate would apply and ruin the chances for "his contractors" due to: "The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS" As I spoke with the manager and his backup, I realized my experience at the FDA and the NIH very closely matched the position advertised with IHS. So closely, I left the interview convinced I would get the position due to my experience and skillset being perfectly matched to the position rather than my "IP" candidacy. I really believed the department manager would hire me because I was so qualified. I was wrong. I have learned since then to circumvent federal law IHS employees are allowed to withdraw a job announcement if the person applying is not the person they want. In fact, I recently applied for another position with IHS using Indian Preference and in less than 3 days a new job announcement went up similar position, similar job duties, same grade, different job title. I predict the job I applied to will be withdrawn. TL;DR Applying using Indian Preference at IHS is a joke. The Feds will find ways around hiring you, unless you're hiring for an actual health position; such as, doctor, nurse, dental hygienist or if you apply for a job somewhere like Dulce, NM.

Interview Questions

• How would I feel working with a group of men since you are female?   1 Answer
    • How much experience do you have supporting users in Health and Human Services?   1 Answer

Health Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service.

Interview

This is a government job that must be applied to via the federal careers portal. The application process is very extensive and essentially is the interview. There are no traditional phone or face to face interviews. The hiring/interview process consists solely of a (extremely slow) review of your entire file by the regional IHS HR office and the local IHS service unit supervisors. If an applicant is accepted for the position following these reviews, a written offer will be extended (conditional on background and drug tests). According to the recruiters, I was told that Native American/Alaskan Native applicants who meet the minimum job qualifications are automatically selected and given the job offer, leading to a much quicker hiring timeline.

Interview Questions

• Traditional behavioral and position-relevant questions are asked online, with multiple choice answer selections.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service in May 2013.

Interview

Tedious application process that is inconsistent with the USAJOBS.gov site. Applicants are redirected to another third party website to apply for the position. Interviewers seem like nice people in the management level.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions. All questions reveal the state and health of the organization itself. Because these questions often reflect the issues the organization constantly encounters, interviewers should exercise critical thinking before accepting any offer.   Answer Question

Physician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gallup, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Indian Health Service (Gallup, NM) in March 2010.

Interview

Fast and easy

Interview Questions

• None. They were desperate. The Dr. Before me quit with 1 month left to vest for his 401, after being told by his supervisor that "white people have no business working here."   Answer Question

Negotiation

They tried to low ball me with a salary that was less than an RN makes. I said no, they came up.