US Marine Corps Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.5

Second Lieutenant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Marine Corps (Fremont, CA) in April 2008.

Interview

From your first interaction with the OSO, it is a continuous interview process until you ship out to OCS. Your dedication, responsibility, enthusiasm and a variety of other criteria can be monitored and documented. Always be professional, honest, and motivated for the best evaluation. There is also a physical fitness test (PFT), a background check, 1:1 interview, and drug test. OCS is a 12 week training and screening process. Contact your OSO for more information.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become a Marine Corps Officer?   1 Answer

Marine Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Camp Pendleton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Marine Corps (Camp Pendleton, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

Officer Candidates School is the interview process. It is designed to weed out those who do not posess the leadership abilities required to lead Marines into a combat zone. It is 10 weeks of no sleep, physically and mentally challenging problem solving scenarios, and extreme physical conditioning. They will yell at you and force you to make difficult decisions without sleep, or a full understanding of th environment around you. This is essential because in combat you will never have the whole picture, and your ability to make a sound decision without all the information is critical. No decision is the worst course of action you can choose. You will be put in command of your peers, and expected to lead them. Egos and personality types will clash, almost everyone around you is an alpha male. You will fail. They want to see how you handle failure, how you rebound. You have to rate your peers, and they have to rate you. You will see every evaluation your peers make on you. Pride cannot get in the way of poor leadership traits you posess that you must correct. Your Marines' lives depend on your ability to lead them. Integrity is the number one trait you must posess. Your word will be the word of God to your Marines. What you say goes, therefore you must speak honestly, and never look the other way. You must overcome the stigma of being a "rat" if you witness someone else lying, and report it. You will be held just as accountable as the liar or cheater if you do not.

Interview Questions

• Here is a rope, a barrel, a toothpick, and a 4 foot piece of plywood, and 3 other Officer Candidates. You have 5 minutes to develop a plan, brief it to your team and cross this river without touching the water. Don't forget to factor in front and rear security, Go.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations. They don't need you. That's their attitude. You have to want to be a Marine Officer. They tell you where you will go, what job you will perform, and your pay is predetermined on the military pay scales. You will spend six months in Quantico, VA after OCS for training as an ifantry platoon commander. Depending on how you graduate from there, affects what job you will get. From there you will move to your MOS (military occupational specialty - essentially the job you will perform in the Marine Corps) which can be as short as a month or two (supply) or over two years (flight school). From there you go to the Fleet Marine Force where you assume your duties as either a shop head, or a platoon commander.

Officer Interview

Application

The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at US Marine Corps in January 2008.

Interview

If you have a +1000 SAT, + 3.0 GPA, no medical problems, good athletics, no criminal history and have a normal, well adjusted disposition, you have a good shot at making it into OCS. Find a recruiter that will work with you and make sure you start taking care of all of the stuff you need to do. Once you get to OCS remember that their goal is to weed people out and your goal is to stay in, so don't give up. The bar of gold at the end of the rainbow is worth it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Marine Corps in September 2008.

Interview

written package, ASVAB, one on one interview, OCS

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very competitive

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at US Marine Corps in May 2009.

Interview

The interview process was very detailed and consisted of a set of questions dealing with the laws and regulation. the interview was done by a panel of peers of high or equal ranking. The panel was composed of personnel from equal area of consideration dealing with portions of the job. the panel decision was then followed by more close interview one on one.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your self in less than a minute   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a personnel issue such as personnel not coming to work on time   Answer Question

Negotiation

i had a chance to negotiate but did not take advantage of it. it should have.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at US Marine Corps in August 2009.

Interview

I spoke to an Officer Recruiter, completed my package for submission to the officer recruitment board, and passed an initial Physical Fitness Test. I was also screened medically. Upon selection by the board, I was sent to Officer Candidate School, where I spent the next 10 weeks either freezing or being shouted at. Or both simultaneously. I passed, commissioned as a 2ndLt, and spent the next 6 months at The Basic School learning how to lead Marines.

Interview Questions

• There were many difficult questions during OCS and TBS, but creativity and teamwork will help you pull through.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, I just signed the dotted line.

O-4, Marines, Major Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at US Marine Corps (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Must contact Officer Selection Officer in your region. Aggressive interview process includes mental and physical evaluations.

Military Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Quantico, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Marine Corps (Quantico, VA).

Interview

10 Weeks of hell for the most prestigious job in the world

Interview Questions

• Are you ready to choose who lives and dies for your country?   1 Answer

Negotiation

10 weeks of hell, no negotiation, just hard work

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at US Marine Corps.

Interview

As an officer, the hiring process involves many things. The main goal is to try and disqualify you. 1. Background Check. 2. Extensive medical exam and review of all medical history. They will even call your doctor from when you were a child and get you medical records. 3. College degree with acceptable GPA. All transcripts will be submitted. 4. Physical Fitness Test (PFT) 3 mile run, 20 pullups, 100 crunches. 5. Friends and co-workers interviews and surveys. 6. Selection Board. All your requirements will complete a package that is reviewed by a board where you compete with all other officer candidates. You will compete with all the other candidates who are looking to join at the same time for a limited number of slots. If you are selected, you will attend Officer Candidate School (OCS) where there is a high washout rate. If you pass OCS then you will attend The Basic School (TBS) for 6 months. After TBS you will attend your military occupational specialty (MOS) school which varies in length based on the MOS.

Interview Questions

• All of OCS is a mental game.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't one. If you survive, you made it. Congratulations, you will be a 2ndLt.

Marine Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Marine Corps (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2010.

Interview

Lengthy but not difficult