US Navy

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Gaylord, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at US Navy in June 2008.

Interview Details – The navy is hiring applicants that are educated, physically fit and medically fit. from day of the interview to joining can take any where from 72 hr to an month based on medical and education history.

Interview Question – Know what you expect from the navy and what your plans are for the future   View Answer

Negotiation Details – your shippng date to boot camp

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at US Navy in February 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was simply and relatively straight forward. You were asked some pretty standard behavioral questions followed by questions relating to the experiences mentioned on your resume. No gotcha's, no knowledge specific questions.

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at US Navy in June 2011.

Interview Details – To start the interview they initially contacted me to find out if I was still interested and then to ask when the best day for me to do the interview would be. They then made travel arrangements for me to fly to the location from Oregon. When I arrived at the location I was assigned a guide, partially because it was a restricted area and partially so that I could talk with him and learn a bit more about the position and the responsibilities. When it came time for the interview, it was a panel of 3 managers from separate operations, one of which was the manager that I would be working under. Overall it was a fairly standard interview, with the basic questions everyone asks, including but not limited to what my favorite class was, where I'd see myself in 5 years and the like. Afterwards I thanked them, they thanked me and that was about it.

The people who were there were fairly relaxed and seemed friendly. The only reason I put the experience as neutral rather than positive was because afterwards there was no contact whatsoever as to if I had an offer or if I was rejected.

Bethesda, MD

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at US Navy in April 2009.

Interview Details – Slow and inflexible. 1 month between verbal offer and written offer. No recognition of masters degree.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Negotiated for larger relocation bonus.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at US Navy in May 2010.

Interview Details – thorough review of relevant work history. examined specifics of resume. what $ projects, scope of involvement

Interview Question – Describe a negative stressful time, your reaction/response, the outcome   View Answer

Ridgecrest, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at US Navy in September 2010.

Interview Details – Pros: Interview was very personable and explained open positions well. Got me excited about working there.
The interviewer also very honest about the challenges of working there as well as the benefits. The interviewer seemed very excited about the opportunities offered there.

Con: Location is in the middle of no where. Was only a phone interview.

Interview Question – What classes did you hate at college?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at US Navy in March 2008.

Interview Details – Questions regarding principles of nuclear reactor operation, thermodynamics, atomic physics, chemistry, materials, and electrical engineering with practical training as supervisor of a Nuclear Reactor operation team.

Explain Nuclear fission?
Explain radiation control measures.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – none

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at US Navy in April 2010.

Interview Details – It was a fantastic process and I really enjoyed being part of it. If I could do it all over again, I would. If I have any advice it would be to not be nervous on the interview, be confident and ask for more money than you think that the job will pay.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at US Navy in January 2007.

Interview Details – The Navy is very thorough with background checks, so make sure you don't leave anything out. Just be honest. I had a few problems in life before getting in (and a few during) but that didn't disqualify me from most good jobs. And stick to your guns. Don't just let them tell you what job to get. Get out and check things.

Interview Question – What do you like to do?   View Answer

Engineering Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at US Navy in May 2009.

Interview Details – The process is long but rewarding, we had to take a skill test based on math and many other subjects. After that we had to do a drug test and a background check for 10 year.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Location

Interviews for Top Jobs at US Navy

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Navy Engineering interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by US Navy employees and interview candidates.