US Navy

Updated Feb 27, 2015
Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.3

IT Tech Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at US Navy.

They ask you about your background, level of education, your accomplishments and set you up for a test. It is a great experience and easy to speak to recruiters. They are always looking for young recruits to join the Navy.

FMTP-Accountant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at US Navy.

I applied for the Navy Financial Management Training Program(FMTP) in October 2014. Got a few calls back in December 2014, asking for phone interviews. Completed phone interviews the week before Christmas 2014. Early January 2015, I heard back from the program's recruiter, saying I was accepted for a few locations. Took a few weeks to decide which location I was going to accept with. Start date is late February 2015.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interviews for all locations. Essentially, I was asked to describe myself for a minute or two, and they asked if I had any questions about the FMTP. Whole interview took five minutes, if that.   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at US Navy.

Filled out application on USAJOBS about 3 months later was called in for a interview and about 2 months after that I was offered the position then I had to wait for my background check to be completed and I contacted my references to see if they had been contacted yet so I could guess if it was close to being complete

Air Traffic Control Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at US Navy.

There is no interview process. A civilian has to meet certain qualifications (i.e. US citizen, no severe lawful punishments) in order to be processed through the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS). However, before being processed a civilian should be familiar with the ASVAB test that is required to take in order to be placed (based on the score) in certain job titles. Once a civilian is processed through MEPS, then he or she will go to the Naval Boot Camp at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in Illinoise.

Interview Questions
    • There are certain questions that are asked when talking to a recruiter prior to going to MEPS. These are all easy questions, but the question that a civilian should be asking is what is the best way to study for the ASVAB.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation unless there are certain financial debts a civilian is wanting the Navy to deal as part of a "negotiation." However, don't fully trust a recruiter that tells you everything will be taken care of. It is important to have all deals written on paper.

Supply Chain Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at US Navy.

3 interviews and extensive background check of security. Discussed the acquisition cycle for federal government and all aspects of supply chain and logistics support for DoD. Discussed specific organizational goals and challenges to overcome.

Interview Questions
    Negotiated timing since salary was fixed. good experience!

US Navy Pilot Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at US Navy.

I was accepted through US Naval Academy as the commissioning source. In order to become a pilot, you have to have had decent grades in order to choose/receive the job that you want. Out of the Naval Academy I went to Aviation Preflight Indoctrination which was the initial aviation school and then after that on to flight school. The bottom line is that grades and performance will ultimately decide the platform that you will be able to choose (for the top graduate) or receive (for everyone else).

Interview Questions
    • Not applicable - it's a long process and not an interview.   Answer Question

Aircraft Mechanic Interview

Initial contact was easy and simple. I contacted my local Navy recruiter and all paperwork was gone over in depth. The entire process was seamless and effortless. I chose a job based on scores from my ASVAB scoring. The recruiter walked me through everything I would encounter in boot camp and I signed. It couldn't be easier.

Interview Questions
    We discussed job opportunities that best suited me and I chose from a list of open billets.

Nuclear Electronics Technician First Class Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at US Navy.

You must score an ASVAB score higher than approx. a 70 with high line scores or take an additional test to prove that you are educated enough to make it into the program. A drug test is required regularly and a back ground check is performed. You must also be within physical weight standards and be able to perform basic physical exercises.

Interview Questions
    • The only real question is if you swear to protect the citizens of the USA.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations.

Training Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at US Navy.

Federal hiring process is cumbersome (5 page resume and lengthy application that requires assistance from someone with knowledge on federal resumes). Expect the hiring process to be slow (3-4 months).

Interview Questions
    • Very basic interview with immediate job offer because they already knew my caliber of work.   Answer Question
    lengthy. Be patient as long as your request is reasonable.

ELT Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at US Navy.

Easy. just take the ASVAB and do the DEPS. You'll run the health screening and vaccine gauntlet. After a couple months of conditioning you end up on the submarine of your dreams