US Navy Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.2

Storekeeper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Melbourne, FL).

Interview

Went to the recruiter and got more information about the different ratings that were available to me. I went to MEPS and took the ASVAB to see what ratings I qualified for. Selected my rating and picked a day to go to boot camp.

Interview Questions

• Did I have any legal actions pending?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Interview

as you work your way up the ladder you will continuously go through oral boards and have to work on your qualifications. as you make it closer to the higher ranks you start to understand the politics a little more but it still doesnt make sense to give up your loyalty to the people below you for the greater good of the ship

Machinist Mate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Flushing, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Flushing, NY).

Interview

The various jobs are offered based on an aptitude test known as the ASVAB. Based on the results of the ASVAB, they will let you choose from a handful of jobs that you qualify for.

Interview Questions

• Did you finish high school?   1 Answer

US Navy Sailor E8 Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

Went to MEPS, had a physical, took ASVAB, chose a job, wen to bootcamp, went to a-school, then went to the fleet. Spent 25 years fighting first the communist, then Muslim extremist, and being subject to many social experiments to make us a kinder and gentler Navy.

Interview Questions

• Whether or not I was homosexual?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

*"UNDESIGNATED" does NOT mean that you will get a try out all of the rates and then pick the one you want! It means that you will do hard manual labor for 1-2 years, then get to choose which of a couple hard manual labor jobs you want for the rest of your career. This is not necessarily bad, but know what you're getting into. Your recruiter will make it sound like you get to try them all and then take your pick--that is NOT the case! I see disappointed young Sailors every day who got duped and are now stuck chipping paint because they trusted their recruiters. It is 1 in 50 that make it into a cushy indoor rate from undes.* These comments apply to officer and enlisted. Very extensive application which takes a long time and requires old medical documentation, recommendations, etc. No formal interview for me, but I think some people have them. You will be dealing with a recruiter who has a quota of people he needs to sign up. Do your own research on what a specific job will be like in the Navy. That means talking to people in that job, talking to other people in the Navy, talking to people in the military, calling multiple recruiters to see if they tell you the same things as your recruiter. This is YOUR job, not the recruiter's. Once he gets you signed, he doesn't care what happens to you. Take control of the process and INSIST on getting the job you want. Some jobs are super popular and competitive, but find out for sure independent of your recruiter because they sometimes tell you a rate is full when it's not--they just benefit from you choosing something else. Please be careful and only sign up for a job you want.

Interview Questions

• They want a written statement of why you want to serve. Have some friends or family proof it before you turn it in, and make sure you edit and reedit it so that it's sharp. If you do these basic things (which you should do for every application), you will stand out from the pack because writing is not most Sailors' strong suit.   Answer Question

Yeoman Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

Theres not much to do to join. Talk to a recruiter to get you started! Depending on your past, you may have to clear somethings up or you may have to meet with someone to get your security clearance (if you need one).

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. Everything is based on how you answer and your history.   Answer Question

Nuclear Submarine Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Interview

2-3 technical screening interviews are conducted by US Naval Reactors engineers at the Washington Navy Yard. A final interview is conducted by the four-star Admiral in charge of Naval Reactors. Based on these interviews and an overall assessment of your application package, you will receive positive or negative confirmation from the Admiral upon completion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Chemistry, calculus, and engineering questions to determine whether I had the requisite technical knowledge to succeed in the program.   Answer Question

Commissioned Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

Go to your recruiting station, take the ASVAB test, see how you do. Biggest thing is to be sure of your choice for your job. There are many different jobs available, but moving between them is difficult once you're in.

Interview Questions

• What field do you want to enter.   1 Answer

Sonar Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It took 12 weeks to interview. Too long and involved to describe here. But I got to go to Chicago. Which is nice. I have nothing else to really say. If you want to know more ask your local recruiter. I'm sure they will be happy to lie to you to get you to join.

Nuclear Electricians Mate Navy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Navy (Fairfield, CA).

Interview

There's a physical fitness evaluation consisting of body fat composition analysis, pushups, sit ups, and a 1.5 mile run. After that there is a medical physical, background check, and a vocational aptitude test.