US Navy Naval Officer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

3.2

Naval Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

Study for the ASTB, OCS is a kick in the balls. The PST is an important part of your package, so put down the ho-ho's and start running. If you can run 4 miles under an average of 8 minutes, then go join the air force.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for US Navy

Naval Officer Interview

Interview

Morally, Mentally and Physically qualified . Test and Dr;s review. Long days, of hurry up and wait for next process to start. Some unexpected delays and trival testing requirement. Must have 5-10 years of addresses, names, phones, schools, work, and references to finish background check paperwork. Expect the process to drive you nuts and in most cases never finish when you expected. in the end it works out if you continue to push the recruiting staff.

Naval Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

Contact a recruiter either at an Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) unit on participating college campuses, or find contact links on www.navy.com website. Before contacting a recruiter, research the various career fields via this website and utilizing search engines as necessary. Define your strengths, weaknesses, goals, likes and dislikes regarding Navy career field opportunities and subsequent return to civilian life as thoroughly as possible. The hiring process includes a series of informal sessions discussing opportunities, aptitude determination by testing, and then the formal application. Some career fields may require different stages of interviews (nuclear officer, for example).

Interview Questions

• "What do you want to accomplish through a career in the Navy...why are you interested in joining?" If this question appears simple, be sure that you have first weighed the gravity of the commitment to answer it appropriately.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Compensation and terms are already established and standard. No need for negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at US Navy (Arlington, VA).

Interview

The interview to get into the Navy's Nuclear Program involved two technical interviews with Naval Reactors personnel followed by a short personal interview with the Director of the Naval Nuclear Power Program (NAVSEA 08). The technical interviews were challenging but based on college level calculus and physics. Mostly dealing with problem solving and equation set up.

Interview Questions

• Relating a summation of pressures for a cylindrical vessel and spherical ends.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, there is a pay scale.

Naval Officer Interview

Interview

There isn't one. Either you enlist and apply for Officer Candidate School (OCS), or you go to a four year school and either apply and complete OCS, complete the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) while at school, or graduate from one of the Service Academies (USNA, USMA, USAFA, USMMA, USCGA)

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase. It's all dependent on completing one of the above avenues to becoming an officer listed in the Hiring and Interview Process section. None of them, by the way, are easy.

Naval Officer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at US Navy.

Interview

There is not a "typical" interview process to become a Naval Officer, and the exact details may vary depending on your desired commissioning source; however, regardless of the path chosen, you can expect to be interviewed by at least one, but more typically a panel of 3-4 Naval Officers. My commissioning source was OCS and I was interviewed by three officers: one Commander and two senior Lieutenants. After the interview, your application goes to the Bureau of Naval Personnel where it is screened by another panel of officers.

Interview Questions

• Not unexpected, but the most difficult question is "Why do you want to be a Naval Officer?" I've been on the other side of the interviewing table and asked this many times. It seems to be the question that gives many people the greatest difficulty.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation – everyone starts at ground zero: Ensign.

Naval Officer Interview

Interview

Very thorough, but rely too much on physical health and psychology. Focus on leadership style and ability, but are more concerned with how to get the job done when you get in.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle cheating?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Naval Officer Interview

Interview

See a recruiter for the best information. You need a college degree and one of a few programs. Military academies, college ROTC, or apply for several different programs. As an aviator, I had to go through extra medical screening and flight aptitude tests to qualify for my specialty. Other job specialty programs require screening. General purpose jobs or Surface Warfare Officers just require lots of tolerance of overworked daily duties and some study the program.

Interview Questions

• Flight training is a high risk job which requires lots of studying and flight aptitude.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, pay scales and benefits are pre-defined. Your specialty and time in will determine most of your pay. Promotion is a different topic.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interviewed with head of Nuclear Power program in Washington, DC. Prior to the interview I had to be screened medically/psychologically and be reviewed for technical knowledge by three separate groups.

Interview Questions

• Are you sure you know what you are getting yourself into?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Aurora, IL).

Interview

You must contact an enlisted or officer recruiter to understand entry requirements and determine eligibility.

Interview Questions

• Depending on your future position, you may be subject to a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) for a security clearance. The process is extensive and in depth.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not applicable