US Navy Nuclear Submarine Officer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Interview

2-3 technical screening interviews are conducted by US Naval Reactors engineers at the Washington Navy Yard. A final interview is conducted by the four-star Admiral in charge of Naval Reactors. Based on these interviews and an overall assessment of your application package, you will receive positive or negative confirmation from the Admiral upon completion of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Chemistry, calculus, and engineering questions to determine whether I had the requisite technical knowledge to succeed in the program.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for US Navy

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC).

Interview

Must possess a crystal clean record (medically, legally) Pass 2-3 hours of Technical Interview (Math, physics) Pass 5-10 minute Personal Interview (4-Star Admiral of the Nuclear Navy Graduate Officer Candidate School (Physical and Academic Training) Graduate Nuclear Power School (Classroom - 6months) Graduate Nuclear Prototype (Practical - 6 months) Graduate Submarine School ( Classroom and practical - 10 weeks)

Negotiation

No negotiations, you take what they offer or you walk.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in March 2011.

Interview

I went through three technical interviews at the Navy Yard in Washington DC, where I demonstrated basic calculus skills, problem solving skills, and graduate studies, then interviewed with Admiral Donald, the 4 star admiral who is the Director of Naval Reactors. After I was accepted, I had to complete a 6 month Advanced Nuclear Power certification as well as qualify Engineering Officer of the Watch at a Nuclear Reactor Prototype.

Interview Questions

• How do you describe the force that is internal to a structure due to its own weight?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in October 2010.

Interview

An initial accessions interview will occur, typically in college, through a recruiter. The interview is technical, focused on basic engineering concepts. Very simple. Recommendations are made to the Director of Naval Reactors, who will interview you briefly, asking only a question of two. This is usually a formality, as he will read your file prior to you coming in and most likely have already decided before you even sit down! My interview with the Director lasted maybe 5 minutes. The previous interviews, from two different engineers, lasted about 30 minutes each. This occurs in Washington, D.C. at the Navy Yard. They will cover transportation and lodging.

Interview Questions

• The technical interviews were simple. I am a Electrical Engineer, so he gave me a circuit with series and parallel branches and had me solve for various qualtities. The other interview was physics based and a pretty simple free-body diagram, solving various items. My NROTC advisor prepared me pretty well, so the interviews were pretty simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Navy (Washington, DC) in January 2008.

Interview

I was in school at USNA and was told that i was not going to be a surface warfare officer and i had an interview with ADM Do

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, they tell you you are hired and that's it. standardized pay.